Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Minivans and hybrids shopped by men and women equally

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-14, 05:27 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Minivans and hybrids shopped by men and women equally

Minivans and hybrids shopped by men and women equally

Men love fast, exotic cars, and women want something safe and practical – at least that is the way conventional thinking goes. But a new study challenges these old beliefs. According to the auto information aggregators at iSeeCars, both sexes shop for minivans and hybrids equally.

The study also dug deeper into the different browsing habits between genders. For instance, women are twice as likely to shop for Kia and 67 percent more likely to shop for Hyundai. Men are seven percent more likely to buy American cars. Both sexes shop the German brands equally.

It seems that men might be slightly greener in their shopping because they are twice as likely to browse electric cars and two and a half times more likely to look at diesels.

Still, the old stereotype of men wanting a more performance-oriented car is not entirely false. They also are more likely to look at cars that cost over $45,000, and men are still more likely to buy a sports car.

"Men like fast, flashy cars. They are performance oriented, even if they have to shell out more money," Phong Ly, cofounder and CEO of iSeeCars, said in an interview with CBS MoneyWatch. "Women are looking for the best value."

The iSeeCars study got its data directly from dealers and online sellers like eBay Motors, then determined sex based on first name and excluded gender-neutral names. What it shows is that even if men might like browsing for fast cars, practicality and economy win out in the end. It's still fun to look, though.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/24/m...women-equally/
Old 01-24-14, 05:29 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

her fly's open..
Old 01-24-14, 05:30 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Probably part of their haggling technique.
Old 01-24-14, 05:33 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Probably part of their haggling technique.
Judging by the salesperson's face, its working..
Old 01-24-14, 06:12 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Judging by the salesperson's face, its working..
I thought you were gonna say by his "bulge" (too bad it's not visible)
Old 01-25-14, 09:56 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I thought you were gonna say by his "bulge" (too bad it's not visible)
You thought incorrect sir

Still funny press picture. I'd be curious if the marketing department did this on purpose or if it were an oversight
Old 01-25-14, 10:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

None of this surprises me at all. I've been saying for years, even here on CL, that the old stereotype of minivans being feminine, soccer-mom vehicles was nonsense. They are shopped for, purchased/leased, and driven by those male/female and young/old alike who simply find them the best overall vehicles for their needs. In fact, male minivan owners include a number of present and former friends/acquaintancers of mine....some of who are single and/or don't even have a family. They like the minivans for their hauling ability, which they sometimes need for their jobs.
Old 01-25-14, 12:12 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
None of this surprises me at all. I've been saying for years, even here on CL, that the old stereotype of minivans being feminine, soccer-mom vehicles was nonsense. They are shopped for, purchased/leased, and driven by those male/female and young/old alike who simply find them the best overall vehicles for their needs. In fact, male minivan owners include a number of present and former friends/acquaintancers of mine....some of who are single and/or don't even have a family. They like the minivans for their hauling ability, which they sometimes need for their jobs.
Vin Diesel in The Pacifier said "Think of it as a Bradley Assault Vehicle" lol
Old 01-25-14, 12:51 PM
LexFather

Geez they make it sound like a disease..

OMG HYBRID AND VAN OWNERS ACTUALLY HUMAN BEINGS!!

Lol.. Count me in I'm shopping them among others...

Old 01-25-14, 12:56 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes,minivans are shopped by men.......... for their significant other.

BTW,that girl is hot.
Old 01-26-14, 11:23 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Yes,minivans are shopped by men.......... for their significant other.

BTW,that girl is hot.
yes and yes
Old 01-26-14, 01:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather

Lol.. Count me in I'm shopping them among others...
Not to bring in an old stereotype, Mike...but does that mean that a certain someone in your house is expecting?
Old 01-26-14, 02:39 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My wife turned me on to minivans years ago. They usually have pretty low mileage, and unless it's a Honda, unabused examples sell cheap after a few years. They offer almost the seating height of a small pickup or SUV, have cavernous interior space, and are actually able to haul those storied 4' X 8' sheets of plywood INDOORS.

I've actually hauled a yard of wet rice hull compost (in large horse-feed tubs) in our minivan, along with a wheelbarrow and shovels. A 55" TV fits just fine in its shipping box, as do a month's worth of groceries - at the same time. Makes a decent family hauler, as adult son and daughter claim a separate bench seat for long trips - where they can stretch out with pillows and blankets.

Inexpensive, practical, and reliable . . . just don't ask them to handle well (high cg, limited suspension travel) or be stellar performers (minimal power, FWD). You definitely choose your battles here.
Old 01-26-14, 02:50 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
My wife turned me on to minivans years ago. They usually have pretty low mileage, and unless it's a Honda, unabused examples sell cheap after a few years. They offer almost the seating height of a small pickup or SUV, have cavernous interior space, and are actually able to haul those storied 4' X 8' sheets of plywood INDOORS.

I've actually hauled a yard of wet rice hull compost (in large horse-feed tubs) in our minivan, along with a wheelbarrow and shovels. A 55" TV fits just fine in its shipping box, as do a month's worth of groceries - at the same time. Makes a decent family hauler, as adult son and daughter claim a separate bench seat for long trips - where they can stretch out with pillows and blankets.

Inexpensive, practical, and reliable . . . just don't ask them to handle well (high cg, limited suspension travel) or be stellar performers (minimal power, FWD). You definitely choose your battles here.
Fwiw, our 99 Toyota sienna had decent power for what we've used it for. Now at 200,000 miles, it feels tired and we rarely drive it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 01-26-14, 02:52 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts