Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Ford Build a Fusion ST?
Yes
61.54%
No
23.08%
Not sure
0%
Isn't Fusion a razor?
15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Should Ford Build a Fusion ST?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-13, 04:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Should Ford Build a Fusion ST?

Should Ford Build a Fusion ST?

We’re fans of the Ford Focus ST and, before long, the Fiesta will get its own ST variant. But what about the 2013 Ford Fusion? Ford already offers the midsize sedan with five engines including a 240-hp turbocharged 2.0-liter I-4, but the all-wheel-drive variant’s 6.8-second 0-60 mph time might leave some enthusiasts wanting more. So we want to hear from you: Should Ford build a low-volume Fusion ST?

The last-generation Ford Fusion may have had a V-6 variant, but it lacked a high-performance model like previous variants of the Taurus, when that car was a midsize sedan. None of the midsize sedan class leaders — the Camry, Accord, and Altima — have a truly high-performance sporty variant, so a Fusion ST might be in a class of one.

The Lincoln MKZ’s available V-6 is one of its distinguishing features from the Fusion, suggesting a Fusion ST might have to use a more powerful version of its EcoBoost 2.0-liter I-4, along with a few suspension modifications and visual upgrades.

When the 2013 Ford Fusion 2.0 EcoBoost is loaded with all of its available premium options, the price swells well past $35,000. The 2013 Fusion is already offered with 2.5-liter I-4, turbo 1.6-liter I-4, turbo 2.0-liter I-4, hybrid, and plug-in hybrid powertrains.

http://wot.motortrend.com/thread-of-...#axzz2OJWSTDNn
Old 03-22-13, 04:33 PM
Hoovey689

Should Ford Build a Fusion ST? Absolutely. I want to see a high performance vehicle for all automakers automobiles. - which is IMO

I just wish Ford would pick a name and stick with it. FPV, ST, SHO, SVT, RS, so many lol. Unify the clans!
Old 03-22-13, 04:49 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Should Ford Build a Fusion ST? Absolutely. I want to see a high performance vehicle for all automakers automobiles. - which is IMO

I just wish Ford would pick a name and stick with it. FPV, ST, SHO, SVT, RS, so many lol. Unify the clans!
Ford absolutely needs a high performance version of the Fusion. But it needs to split it from the Titanium, or it'll be a tough sell. Allow people the engine choice for whatever they want, stop tying it to trim levels.

I could see them selling a 300 HP version with less luxury features, perhaps the mustang V6 would be a good choice for this. lots of dads want a 4 door car with passing power, yet not a full size sedan like the Taurus. Right now a luxury marque is their only option. I think this is a niche no brand is filling, but Ford could do it because almost no one cross shops Ford and Lincoln, however hard Lincoln is trying to capture younger buyers.
Old 03-22-13, 05:31 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Infra
Ford absolutely needs a high performance version of the Fusion. But it needs to split it from the Titanium, or it'll be a tough sell. Allow people the engine choice for whatever they want, stop tying it to trim levels.

I could see them selling a 300 HP version with less luxury features, perhaps the mustang V6 would be a good choice for this. lots of dads want a 4 door car with passing power, yet not a full size sedan like the Taurus. Right now a luxury marque is their only option. I think this is a niche no brand is filling, but Ford could do it because almost no one cross shops Ford and Lincoln, however hard Lincoln is trying to capture younger buyers.
A 300-320hp version would be perfect for top dog performance model. As you don't see really any cars of this size in the mainstream market this would be a great niche as you mentioned. Not to mention the fact that Fusion is one of the few sedans (Subaru is also in there) that actually offers AWD which is brilliant when you consider it's competition Optima, Sonata, Camry, Accord, Altima, Malibu, Passat, Mazda6 all don't. They are all missing out. That said, a turbocharged Fusion ST with AWD and over 300hp would be hot.

In regrads to Lincoln, the problem lies in the product or rather lack there of. No coupes, convertibles, performance lines or sedan smaller than a MKZ for younger buyers including myself to get excited about. I do like the new MKZ but its a bit too big for my taste.
Old 03-23-13, 10:03 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Not to mention Lincoln's are FWD. No one wants a FWD at the price they are charging. The Fusion based MKZ does offer AWD but I believe it's also FWD e-LSD's, which is kind of a joke for a luxury performance car (could be wrong here).

IMO Lincoln is competing to be a tier 2 luxury brand, which simply won't work in today's market when we have $30,000 BMWs and Mercedes.
Old 03-23-13, 10:13 AM
Hoovey689

Not to mention Lincoln's are FWD. No one wants a FWD at the price they are charging. The Fusion based MKZ does offer AWD but I believe it's also FWD e-LSD's, which is kind of a joke for a luxury performance car (could be wrong here).

IMO Lincoln is competing to be a tier 2 luxury brand, which simply won't work in today's market when we have $30,000 BMWs and Mercedes.
Oh absolutely. Infiniti, Lincoln, Acura, Buick, Cadillac (may soon move up) and Volvo are all a tier below BMW, Lexus, MBZ, Audi, Jaguar.
Old 03-23-13, 12:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Not to mention Lincoln's are FWD. No one wants a FWD at the price they are charging.
I agree that the MKZ probably will not sell, but for other reasons....not just because it is FWD (see my recently-posted 2013 MKZ review).

However, the idea that no one wants a FWD vehicle at that that price is incorrect. Look how fast, for example, the similiarly-priced Lexus ES350 flies off dealer lots, even considering that the new ES, IMO, is somewhat disappointing. In many areas, it is the best-selling vehicle for Lexus....and, where it isn't, the RX350 usually is.

As to the question of whether an Fusion ST should be done or not, time will tell, but, right now, I personally don't see a need for it. Most versions of the new Fusion, IMO, are so well-done, and will probably sell well enough, that I see little need for a macho version. In fact, an ST model would probably impact on its bigger brother.....the already slow-selling Taurus SHO, which could use a good boost in sales. Those who want to lead-foot or corner-carve can simply walk down to the other corner of the Ford showroom and buy an SHO, which the dealership will probably be glad to get rid of.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-23-13 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-23-13, 01:18 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that the MKZ probably will not sell, but for other reasons....not just because it is FWD (see my recently-posted 2013 MKZ review).

However, the idea that no one wants a FWD vehicle at that that price is incorrect. Look how fast, for example, the similiarly-priced Lexus ES350 flies off dealer lots, even considering that the new ES, IMO, is somewhat disappointing. In many areas, it is the best-selling vehicle for Lexus....and, where it isn't, the RX350 usually is.

As to the question of whether an Fusion ST should be done or not, time will tell, but, right now, I personally don't see a need for it. Most versions of the new Fusion, IMO, are so well-done, and will probably sell well enough, that I see little need for a macho version. In fact, an ST model would probably impact on its bigger brother.....the already slow-selling Taurus SHO, which could use a good boost in sales. Those who want to lead-foot or corner-carve can simply walk down to the other corner of the Ford showroom and buy an SHO, which the dealership will probably be glad to get rid of.
The SHO is a lackluster attempt at adding some sport to the Taurus line. The SHOs biggest problems are it enormous weight, not to mention the mushy brakes. Boosting the car to 400hp and dropping 400lbs would certainly make it more desirable. That said, it's still a hard sell against the 300C Hemi and the new Chevrolet SS which are both cheaper to boot. I love the theory of a high performance large Ford sedan, but in reality it needs a lot of work. Same can be said of its MKS twin which could benefit from more power, better use of space/efficiency, and a more comfortable adaptive suspension ride - of course that's for another discussion
Old 03-23-13, 07:21 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think it's worth not making one hoping that instead one would buy a rather poor attempt of a car, the SHO, rather than the increase in sales they'd see buy offering one.

If it sells 2 for every SHO sales loss, then it hasn't really hurt corporate income.

I disagree people are comparing the Fusion to the ES. Two completely different cars.
Old 03-24-13, 01:00 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

I could see them selling a 300 HP version with less luxury features, perhaps the mustang V6 would be a good choice for this.
There's no way they could use the mustang V6. It's longitudinally mounted for rear-wheel drive. The Fusion is engineered for a transverse-mount engine and transaxle. They'd have to completely redesign the frame from the ground up to make such a change.
Old 03-24-13, 11:16 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by geko29
There's no way they could use the mustang V6. It's longitudinally mounted for rear-wheel drive. The Fusion is engineered for a transverse-mount engine and transaxle. They'd have to completely redesign the frame from the ground up to make such a change.
Doesn't have to be the mustang 3.7. The Explorerers 3.5 puts out 290.

Actually edit, the Lincoln MKX, MKZ, MKT, and MKS all use a 3.7L and they are FWD/AWD so yes Ford could use either a 3.5 or 3.7

Last edited by Hoovey689; 03-24-13 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-24-13, 06:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I disagree people are comparing the Fusion to the ES. Two completely different cars.
I wasn't referring to a Fusion/ES comparison. I was replying to an earlier post in this thread that said that FWD is unsuitable for a car in the ES/MKZ class. That, of course, is nonsense.
Old 03-24-13, 06:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I love the theory of a high performance large Ford sedan, but in reality it needs a lot of work. Same can be said of its MKS twin which could benefit from more power, better use of space/efficiency, and a more comfortable adaptive suspension ride - of course that's for another discussion
I wouldn't really call the Taurus and MKS twins, though they might (remotely) come from the same platform. There are significant differences in the way that they are designed and drive.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-24-13 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-24-13, 08:57 PM
Hoovey689

I wouldn't really call the Taurus and MKS twins, though they might (remotely) come from the same platform. There are significant differences in the way that they are designed and drive.
I meant platform at the risk of getting into a discussion on the MKS. There are many differences between the both
Old 03-25-13, 06:03 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

Doesn't have to be the mustang 3.7. The Explorerers 3.5 puts out 290.
I don't dispute that. The comment I was replying to was very explicit in being about the V6 from the Mustang.

They absolutely can put a high-output V6 in there. Just not THAT one.

Quick Reply: Should Ford Build a Fusion ST?