Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealer fraud? Not sure...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-12, 02:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

car dealerships that mislead people????? Business as usual
Old 09-20-12, 05:56 PM
Sciller
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ yea right!?!? Anyway....talked to a lawyer and faxed him all the docs today. Idk what's going to happen,but I am going to ask a couple lawyers/important people that I know and maybe this will not be horrible ...hopefully....
Thanks guys for the input!
Old 09-20-12, 08:31 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LionsGate
While not knowing the particulars as to whether she has a claim, may I suggest you try this as it costs little beyond your time.

Go to the dealership with your GF, pen and paper. Ask for the used car sales manager. Ask to see the dealership's "Dealer Bond Certificate" and the "Dealer's License". Those documents should be posted in a place where the buying public has access.

Once you see their paper, write down on your pad their bond and license information. Then explain to the manager that you believe there is an issue of fraud and you intend to file against their bond with the proper state authority. If they offer to sit down and discuss the matter, ask to do so with the General Manager of the dealership or an officer of its corporation present.

Research Auto Dealer Bond and Fraud in your state prior to the visit. Enjoy the benefits of free state sanctioned consumer protection.
Well played sir. Well played...
Old 09-21-12, 05:04 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Got into a flap a few years ago on some high end furniture we bought at a local retail store.
One piece damaged by the mover. We paid the store for delivery. Store was telling us to deal with the mover, we said no, we paid the store so it's the store's problem.
Condensed version:
I wrote a letter to the store manager confirming what we discussed on the telephone & noted the opinion/position of each side, per item. Sent a draft to the store by fax & asked the manager to review & comment before I mailed the original, He saw the cc. ABC Law Inc. at the bottom.
Couldn't believe how co-operative he was once he saw the draft.
Had the manufacturer bring in another new component in less than a week & delivered to our home.
This was a simple point by point letter that made him understand we were serious about the complaint.
Cost was zero $$, results were immediate.
Old 09-21-12, 09:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The earlier posters are correct (that pretty much goes without saying). A minor accident does not necessarily prevent a CPO rating if all of the other conditions (Age, mileage, wear-and-tear, mechanical condition, etc...) are met.

Perhaps the CarFax database itself could use a few changes in how incidents like that are reported and classified....like grading accident-damage according to the repair-cost and severity.
Old 09-21-12, 09:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LionsGate
Go to the dealership with your GF, pen and paper. Ask for the used car sales manager. Ask to see the dealership's "Dealer Bond Certificate" and the "Dealer's License". Those documents should be posted in a place where the buying public has access.

Once you see their paper, write down on your pad their bond and license information. Then explain to the manager that you believe there is an issue of fraud and you intend to file against their bond with the proper state authority. If they offer to sit down and discuss the matter, ask to do so with the General Manager of the dealership or an officer of its corporation present.
The GM, I suspect, may also want the dealership's own liability-attorney present. You also have the right to have one present representing you as well....though who would pay for your lawyer depends on a number of factors.

Research Auto Dealer Bond and Fraud in your state prior to the visit. Enjoy the benefits of free state sanctioned consumer protection.
There is also a new Federal Consumer Protection Agency, created just a year or two ago, that may cover some cases like this, though I fail to see what it can do that former and existing state and Federal laws don't.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-21-12 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-21-12, 09:35 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The earlier posters are correct (that pretty much goes without saying). A minor accident does not necessarily prevent a CPO rating if all of the other conditions (Age, mileage, wear-and-tear, mechanical condition, etc...) are met.

Perhaps the CarFax database itself could use a few changes in how incidents like that are reported and classified....like grading accident-damage according to the repair-cost and severity.
Carfax can't get some info right.
I had a '11 Camry hybrid that was rearended to the tune of $8K or so in damage,Carfax showed front damage on the report.
Old 09-21-12, 10:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Carfax can't get some info right.
I had a '11 Camry hybrid that was rearended to the tune of $8K or so in damage, Carfax showed front damage on the report.
Did the front of your car get pushed forward into something.....or into another vehicle? Any rear-end impact hard enough to do 8K damage on a mid-sized sedan like your Camry sounds hard enough to move it forward as well........which, of course, is why all modern American-market car seats come with headrests. Some small SUVs, though, with exposed spare-tires bolted onto the rear door, can get major glass and sheet-metal damage with much-smaller impacts.

Just out of curiosity, how did the battery-pack and gas-tank hold up.....any problems? One of the things that traditionally concerns me with gas-electric hybrids is having the battery-pack near or directly over the gas-tank behind the seats. In a severe accident, of course, gas and electric sparks next to each other could be a hazardous combination. Fortunately, I haven't heard of any direct cases of this actually happening.
Old 09-21-12, 10:51 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did the front of your car get pushed forward into something.....or into another vehicle? Any rear-end impact hard enough to do 8K damage on a mid-sized sedan like your Camry sounds hard enough to move it forward as well........which, of course, is why all modern American-market car seats come with headrests. Some small SUVs, though, with exposed spare-tires bolted onto the rear door, can get major glass and sheet-metal damage with much-smaller impacts.

Just out of curiosity, how did the battery-pack and gas-tank hold up.....any problems? One of the things that traditionally concerns me with gas-electric hybrids is having the battery-pack near or directly over the gas-tank behind the seats. In a severe accident, of course, gas and electric sparks next to each other could be a hazardous combination. Fortunately, I haven't heard of any direct cases of this actually happening.
Mike,the Camry did tap the car in front and the bumper cover was painted but still.
As far as the batteries go....
I had a problem with my repair shop.The job was done and I didn't like the gaps at the trunk and bumper cover.I was told the gap was in accepted tolerances.Well not for me.
I went to another shop someone recommended and after the guy looked at the repair,I was told the job under all the coverings was an abortion and a new floor pan(well where spare tire is held) should have been installed.My insurance company agreed that the job was bad and had the shop do it over.However,no new floor pan.Gaps were tighter and looked great but I didn't have confidence in the repair and traded the Camry in.
To change the floor pan, the batteries had to come out and I guess the shop either didn't want to do that and/or the insurance company wouldn't pay for the pan or labor to replace.

Doesn't look like much but the trunk was replaced, both side fenders damages,chassis had to be straightened,exhaust system,battery,taillights cracked etc.Hit by a old Ford Windstar.

Last edited by Joeb427; 09-21-12 at 11:16 AM.