Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Toyota RAV4: revealed at L.A. Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-12, 07:37 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
A hybrid version of the Rav4 would be a great addition if they decide to add one.
It would be awesome if the had 4-cylinder, V6, hybrid, and electric variations. It would dominate the cute-ute demographic.

Originally Posted by rcf8000
Could they possibly have gotten rid of the "barn door" tailgate?!
With that roof spoiler, I doubt it.

It will most likely continue to have its "signature" rear door. Hopefully, Toyota will offer a right-side facing one for right-hand-drive markets.
Old 04-11-12, 07:53 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
No way the 3.5 with the 6 speed touches the CRV in fuel economy. No way.

I have never seen anything with a toyota V6 ever get more than 30mpg unless it was coupled with a hybrid powertrain.

Not sure I like this new design for this particular vehicle. I will have to see it "naked" before I make my final judgement though.
the 3.5 v6 and 5 speed auto in the current RAV4 is comparable to the last gen CRV in terms of mpg. so drop in a 6 speed auto it'll be a close comparison against the new CRVs.
Old 04-11-12, 08:03 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
With that roof spoiler, I doubt it.

It will most likely continue to have its "signature" rear door. Hopefully, Toyota will offer a right-side facing one for right-hand-drive markets.
While I agree it may continue with the swinging door... I feel like i see two hinge bumps at the top of the door line in that rear picture. But it could just be wishful thinking.
Old 04-11-12, 10:05 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Shown in these pictures is a SUV/CUV (RAV4) not a car (Matrix). The body is taller than a Matrix and the ground clearance is also higher than the Matrix. The rear bumper also looks very similar to the bumper on the existing RAV4 and not the Matrix. Cars (especially in North America) require strong bumpers, whereas “trucks” do not; the bumper in those photos would not meet passenger car standards, in my opinion.

I have been wondering (and hoping) if Toyota would finally relent and turn the RAV4 into the true tall-wagon that all of its competitors (like the Honda CRV) have become – switch to a swing-up rear hatch and remove that outside-mounted spare tire.

I too thought I saw two hinge bumps on top of the rear spoiler (or maybe that is for the hinges for a separate swing-up rear window)? Also, does that rear window wrap around into the D-pillar? If it does, could that indicate that it will be a real rear hatch instead of a door? If it remained a door, I am thinking that the sides of the door would have to be straight vertically (sides of the bottom metal part in line with the top glass portion of the door), as the picture below.

Old 04-26-12, 08:06 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RAV I-4 Only? Redesigned 2013 Toyota RAV4 May Drop V-6 Engine Option, Third Row

MotorTrend Link

The 2013 Toyota RAV4 will enter a reinvigorated compact crossover scene once it hits showrooms, likely in the fall of this year. And when it does, don’t be surprised to see the swift RAV4 V-6 variant dropped, potentially bringing the Toyota SUV more in line with the popular Honda CR-V, which has only ever had one four-cylinder engine option in the U.S.

These renderings preview what we might see from the 2013 Toyota RAV4, which should join newly redesigned vehicles like the 2013 Venza and 2012 Camry in featuring a stretched grille connecting refreshed headlights. New wheel options will freshen the profile view, but it’s inside compact crossover customers should be in for a major update. While the 2012 Toyota RAV4 already offers the automaker’s connectivity system, Entune, the redone 2013 model will showcase the system in an interior with improved materials.

What’s unclear at this point is whether the RAV4′s third row of seating will remain on the options list. The Ford Escape and Honda CR-V — two class leaders by volume — make do without it, though a third row could distinguish the Toyota from others in the class.

Otherwise, expect minor tweaks to the carryover platform. Currently, a 2012 RAV4 with the 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine is good for 179 hp at 6000 rpm and 172 lb-ft of torque…and is mated to a four-speed automatic transmission. With a more modern transmission, the 2013 RAV4 should easily cross 30 mpg highway in EPA testing; the 2012 model in front-drive form is rated 22/28 mpg city/highway.

The future of a potential 2013 Toyota RAV4 hybrid model is uncertain. One source suggests such a model will debut this fall alongside the regular 2013 RAV4 while another wonders why Toyota would debut a RAV4 hybrid before a Venza hybrid, which could command higher prices. Until we get official details on the 2013 Toyota RAV4, however, take a closer look at these renderings and let us know what you want to see from the revised RAV4 crossover.

Old 04-26-12, 08:27 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL at the rendering. ILX tails and Yaris nose on the current Rav4?

I would be surprised to see them drop the V6 as it has been extremely popular. The 6AT will be the best addition to both powertrains, and is sorely needed IMO. I hear that a hybrid will definitely be coming quickly, and of course it makes sense for the Rav4 to have it before the Venza - it's much higher volume.

I'm interested to see what the new interior looks like. The current one is not particularly high quality, so I'd like to see an update there.
Old 04-26-12, 08:34 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

So they're stealing Acura tail lights? That's a pretty bad rendering
Old 04-26-12, 08:35 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought everybody would learn from Mazda by now that fish grilles don't work.
Old 04-26-12, 09:18 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

- The rear end of the rendering looks really bland IMO
- Would like to see the 6-speed automatic across the board (no more 4)
- Hope the interior is miles better than current
- The current V6 gets 1 less mpg than the 4 on the highway, I don't want to see it leave
Old 04-26-12, 10:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
No way is this a Rav4. Matrix more like it.
No, I'd say it pretty much has to be a RAV-4. A Matrix, even with AWD, wouldn't have that kind of ground clearance or tire-profile.
Old 04-26-12, 10:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rcf8000
Could they possibly have gotten rid of the "barn door" tailgate?!
Sure hope so. The right-hinged, right-opening back door was never modified for left-hand-drive markets like America. The JDM, right-hand-drive versions, of course, have the hinges on the opposite side, as they drive and park on opposite sides of the street. That forces you to stand out in the street, near oncoming traffic, loading and unloading things in back. The spare tire, of course, hung on the rear door, made it even more bulky. But, to its credit, at least the old RAV-4 offered a real spare.....most vehicles these days don't.
Old 04-26-12, 10:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
LOL at the rendering. ILX tails and Yaris nose on the current Rav4?

I would be surprised to see them drop the V6 as it has been extremely popular. The 6AT will be the best addition to both powertrains, and is sorely needed IMO. I hear that a hybrid will definitely be coming quickly, and of course it makes sense for the Rav4 to have it before the Venza - it's much higher volume.

I'm interested to see what the new interior looks like. The current one is not particularly high quality, so I'd like to see an update there.
Rav4 has 6 speeds only in Europe for (6) years now :-).
It is question of marketing, not technology - ie price vs performance.

Rendering is bad, but it does add grille and rear lights from the spy shots...
Old 04-26-12, 12:47 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Goodness, I hope that's not it. The rear end is hideous, with everything pushed up too high. Taillights are also straight off of an MDX or last gen A4. None of this would make sense.
Old 04-26-12, 02:27 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks very similar to the current RAV4 with Audi A4 tails and Acura's "parrot beak" grill.

I hope the sport model comes with a spare tire. I really liked the sport model RAV4 but the new ones only come with RFT's with no spare. Having a spare was a must for me. So I choose it over the 2012 CRV.
Old 04-26-12, 07:03 PM
psixtc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trust me, the actual RAV looks better than the renderings.

Quick Reply: 2014 Toyota RAV4: revealed at L.A. Auto Show