Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2012 Toyota Prius c

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-12, 03:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
problem is, their math is faulty, and typically a hybrid will cost a person money except under specific circumstances (like heavy city use). not to mention the trade-off of loss of cargo room, gutless power trains. the rx450h is probably the best 'execution' of this though, although the cost premium is still high.
it is not faulty at all, you also get money at resale... it is just like diesels in Europe, they actually cost $3k-4k more to purchase but you get money at both resale and at the pump.

with lexus hybrids it is different because you get more than just frugality.
Old 03-18-12, 05:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is not faulty at all, you also get money at resale... it is just like diesels in Europe, they actually cost $3k-4k more to purchase but you get money at both resale and at the pump.
maybe that's true for hybrids where you are but there's conflicting info on depreciation of hybrids here.

hybrid depreciation is a complete wild card.
http://www.soultek.com/clean_energy/...ed_to_know.htm

i don't expect them to be worse than normal, but i doubt they're particularly any better.
Old 03-18-12, 06:23 PM
LexFather

i just did the rough math - if i sold my 17mpg explorer and bought a mid-level prius c, it would not be until the 5th year that i'd have saved any money. in the mean time i'd be driving a tiny gutless compact vs. my explorer with v8 and tons of room.

i realize most are math challenged and thus see the appeal of this, but the left side of my brain can never make this work...

on the car itself, i think this is easily toyota's best looking (most normal) hybrid, and should do very well in europe where gas prices are at least 50% higher!
The same math can be reversed using a Ford Explorer or any SUV. For example, how many times do you use the cargo bed? How many times do you have 5 passengers? This would be considered waste since it maybe is used 10-20% of the time of ownership.

AgainI don't understand using this math only against hybrids when we can apply it to any vehicle.

Also are we assuming the price of gas won't change? It continues to climb, a Prius C owner is almost hedging bets that gas prices are going to increase.. So as the price of gas increases so will savings. If you start driving more (for whatever reason) then the benefit it to the Prius. Running costs for the Prius will be much smaller as well. You also get a new car with newer features.

Its not fair to hybrids to just do a cost/benefit analysis only on current gas prices.

Old 03-18-12, 06:26 PM
LexFather

As for the car, it is a huge hit.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/16/t...t-nissan-leaf/

Prius c Launch Kicks Off with Strong Sales
Prius Family Sales Nearly 10,000 in First Half of March

TORRANCE, Calif. – Toyota's subcompact Prius c five-door hatchback, the newest member of the Prius family of hybrid vehicles, is off to a quick start since going on sale March 12.

In its first three days on the market, it sold 1,201 units, making it one Toyota's fastest-selling vehicles and eclipsing Chevrolet Volt and Nissan Leaf sales for the entire month of February.

"A number of factors drive the auto market, and fuel prices is one of them," said Bob Carter, group vice president and general manager of the Toyota Division. "With 53 miles-per-gallon in the city and priced under $19,000, the timing for Prius c couldn't be better."

During the first half of March, the four-member Prius Family, including the new Prius c, roomy v, third-generation Liftback and new Plug-in Hybrid, accounted for sales of 9,821. Last month Prius sales totaled 20,593 and 32,593 year-to-date.

Old 03-18-12, 07:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The same math can be reversed using a Ford Explorer or any SUV. For example, how many times do you use the cargo bed? How many times do you have 5 passengers? This would be considered waste since it maybe is used 10-20% of the time of ownership.
sorry, i don't understand. my math was based on the idea that trading in my gas guzzling explorer to buy one of the most fuel efficient vehicles available might save me money but it turns out it won't in 5 years of ownership. obviously if i trade it in for something less fuel efficient, the math doesn't get any better on gas savings.

many people trade in cars more efficient than my explorer to get a hybrid (or yes, non-hybrid more fuel-efficient vehicle), but that math just has no chance of making any economic sense.

AgainI don't understand using this math only against hybrids when we can apply it to any vehicle.
my post was about the economics of trading in for better fuel economy, with a hybrid being about as good as it gets. not sure what you don't understand, sorry.

Also are we assuming the price of gas won't change? It continues to climb, a Prius C owner is almost hedging bets that gas prices are going to increase.. So as the price of gas increases so will savings. If you start driving more (for whatever reason) then the benefit it to the Prius. Running costs for the Prius will be much smaller as well. You also get a new car with newer features.
if gas goes up, the economics do improve, yes, and if i were driving more, that would improve it too. someone i know traded in his big pickup truck and got a honda crz (yes, your favorite ). his gas bill went from $1300 to $300 a month but of course he's driving a shoebox now compared to a shoe store.
Old 03-19-12, 11:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
As for the car, it is a huge hit.
Not surprising at all. A lot of people who juts don't like the Insight, for whatever reason, were probably waiting in the wings to just pounce on this car....that was one of the things I brought out in the review. But, as I also said, I'm concerned that, with the very-likely dealer price-gouging, there goes the chance to get a new one at 19 or 20K like my test-car.
Old 03-19-12, 11:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

maybe that's true for hybrids where you are but there's conflicting info on depreciation of hybrids here.

http://www.soultek.com/clean_energy/...ed_to_know.htm

i don't expect them to be worse than normal, but i doubt they're particularly any better.
it is not really wild card anymore, Prius holds its value well... with gas being expensive, it gets to hold value extremely well.

I just checked cars.com for used 2010 Prius G3 and 30k mile models are 22k. This is 3 year old car now, but newer model Prius that cost 25k new.

So there is nothing unpredictable there really, just check used cars sites to see the depreciation.
Old 03-19-12, 11:31 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent review, as always! I like the car, but hate those taillights. When someone comes out with a taillight tint kit, then that should make it look much nicer. Especially on a black or darker colored car.

I've seen a few driving around SoCal lately. I like!
Old 03-19-12, 12:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMut
Excellent review, as always!
Thanks.

I like the car, but hate those taillights. When someone comes out with a taillight tint kit, then that should make it look much nicer. Especially on a black or darker colored car.
Cars like the Prius c, though, are usually not of the sporting-type that the young guys with their caps-on-backwards would usually spend money on with customizing.

I've seen a few driving around SoCal lately. I like!
Keep looking.They are (probably) going to multiply like well,............