Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2012 Toyota Camry XLE V6

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-11, 06:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Review: 2012 Toyota Camry XLE V6

Per CL-member requests, a review of the 2012 Toyota Camry XLE.

http://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/camry/

IN A NUTSHELL: The ubiquitous, top-selling family-sedan gets some of its quality and excellence back....but not everywhere.

I'm sorry, everyone, for the lack of MM car reviews lately, but the CL-member review-requests I had are for vehicles that are either Japanese-nameplate 2012 models that have been delayed because of the earthquake/tsunami earlier this year or for American/Japanese-nameplate vehicles that are not scheduled to be introduced until next spring. The new Scion iQ minicar, for instance (which will more or less compete with the Smart-for-Two), is planned for the West Coast late this fall, but not for the East Coast until March 1. I also have a request for the new redesigned Mercedes S550, but due to its classic upmarket-status and limited-availability, I plan (at this time) to probably do the new S550 for the Annual Holiday Review in early December...that is saved, each year, for a flagship-level upmarket, expensive vehicle (last year it was the supercharged Jaguar XKR convertible).

However, some new Camry 4-cylinder LE models started hitting local dealerships last weekend (our CL member RX 330 did an excellent write-up on one he test-drove), and V6 XLE models just started arriving in the D.C. area this weekend (Sept.24-25). So, since RX 330 already did an excellent job on the LE model, and the specific requests I got were for either the V6 XLE model or the Hybrid (or both), I'm going to write-up the XLE. New Camry Hybrids are
coming, but their U.S.-market launch will be delayed a little longer....probably because of the complexity of their construction (with more parts involved) and the lingering effects of the earthquake....and, of course, some of those same areas in Japan were hit by a major typhoon (hurricane) just a few days ago. Even U.S.-built Camrys (Georgetown, KY) sometimes depend on Japanese-sourced parts.

Ah, the ubiquitous Camry. Not only has it been an enormously successful, family-oriented mid-size sedan, but has also, over the years, given birth to a number of spinoffs of the basic design/platform. These include the original Lexus ES250 sedan, the also-hugely successful Lexus ES/300/330/350 sedans, the (again) hugely-successful Toyota Highlander and Lexus RX300/330/350/460H SUVs, the Toyota Solara coupes/convertibles, the FWD/AWD Toyota Venza wagon, the Toyota Avalon full-size sedan, the Toyota Sienna minivan, and the regular Camry wagons (which were last seen in the U.S. in the mid-1990s). AWD Camry All-Tracs were briefly marketed some years ago, but were later dropped...it took the new Venza to bring the concept back.

There is no denying the tremendous success of this car....and its platform. Even those who dislike Toyota/Lexus products cannot argue with the Camry's sales-numbers. In recent decades, among regular passenger-cars, only the also-ubiquitous Honda Accord and Ford Taurus have had sales-numbers in the Camry's ballpark. Throughout the 1990s, the Camry, Accord, and Taurus seesawed back-and-forth for the top-selling car in the U.S. (and all three, of course, were mid-sized sedans). And, like the Camry, the Accord and Taurus also spun off other successful vehicles from their platforms under Honda, Acura, Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln nameplates. But some of the high numbers that the Taurus achieved was no doubt due to fleet-sales from its popularity as a rental-car, too.....somewhat less the case with the Camry and Accord. And, of course, the Taurus nameplate was dropped several years ago, only to see it return under Ford's new Five-Hundred sedan replacement. Since at least the turn of the 21st century, the Camry has led sales of every other vehicle in the U.S. except for the full-size Ford F-150 and Chevy Silverado pickup-trucks.....a remarkable achievement.

And why has the Camry been so successful over the years? Simple. It simply gave what a whole lot of people wanted (never mind the auto-press/enthusiasts).....room for the family, reasonable gas-mileage, a silky-smooth ride (something you don't see much of nowadays), low noise levels, a butter-smooth drivetrain, low depreciation, a consistantly good resale value, and (until very recent years) consistantly good reliability. As aforementioned, the Camry's smooth but unresponsive, appliance driving habits generally didn't sit well with sport-oriented enthusiasts, but the SE model, in a small sop to them, did have a noticeably stiffer suspension and slightly re-valved steering gear. But, as expected, the lion's share of the sales went to the non-sporting versions, which millions of satisfied customers took home to their garages.

For years, I personally liked the Camry (though I never owned one)....as I alluded to earlier, it offered essentilly a semi-luxury-car ride and noise level at a non-luxury price. I thought the best Camrys ever done were the 3rd-Generation 1992-1996 models....IMO, they offered the best combination of engineering, comfort/ride, and build-quality. After 1996, though, beginning with the all-new 1997 model, the reliability stayed up, but the solidness of some of the materials used inside and outside began to lighten up just a bit, perhaps in response to cost-cutting. That trend, continued, slightly but noticeably, with each succeeding version afterward until, by the time the 2006 version came out about 5 or 6 years ago, I was no longer enamored with the car like I had been in the 1980s and 1990s. Interior materials had deteriorated to the point where much of the plastic (especially the painted-silver plastic) felt flimsy and unsubstantial, and the big climate-control *****, on the manual-climate versions, wobbled like a drunk on New year's Eve. The 2006 Camry also got off to a poor start with some defective automatic-transmissions in the V6 models, and, of course, the well-publicized factory/NHTSA controversies and investigations over the (alledged) drive-by-wire throttle problems, floor-mats, and unintended-acceleration. For a while, some Camryversions temporarily lost their top-ranking (and even Recommended staus) at Consumer Reports magazine, which many people consider their car-buying Bible.

Which brings us, now, to an all-new Camry for 2012.....and, considering the disappointmnts of the last one, one I have also waiting myself for some time to see. For 2012, the totally-redesigned Camry comes in 8 different versions (a sop, of course, to the car's continuing extreme popularity). The base L and one-step-up LE models come with an in-line DOHC 2.5L 4 cylinder of 178 HP and 170 ft-lbs. of torque. The sport-oriented SE and luxury-oriented XLE models come with a choice of the four or a 3.5L DOHC V6 (the same V6 used in many other Toyota/Lexus models) of 268 HP and 248 ft-lbs. of torque. It seems odd that the SE model would be offered with the base four, but that's the way that Toyota markets it. At the top are the Hybrid models in either LE or XLE trim, with a special Atkinson-Cycle 2.5L in-line four and a Permanent-Magnet AC 650 V, 149 W electric-motor and a Nickel-Hydride battery-pack (why the Camry and regular Prius Hybrids don't get a state-of-the-art Lithuim/Ion battery pack like the Prius v wagon will get beats me...perhaps because of cost). Toyota rates the new Camry Hybrid powertrain at 200 HP total, but, like with other Toyota/Lexus hybrids, gives no further HP/torque breakdowns for the two separate motors. All conventional 4 and V6 Camrys now get a 6-speed automatic transmission (the SE version with shift-paddles)....the Hybrid gets a CVT (Continuously-variable-transmission). No conventional clutch-pedal manual transmissions are offered.....they seem to be dying out in more and more cars nowadays as traffic gets denser everywhere. The Atkinson-cycle four in the Hybrid, though, has some advanced features, using no drive-belts at all for less power-drain and improved efficiency. All of the components that are normally run by conventional rubber-belts (power-steering, A/C-compressor, water-pump, etc....) have electric motors instead. Only 4-door Camry sedans, of course, are offered in the U.S. for 2012.....wagons and coupes (except for the Camry Solara coupe/convertible) having left the American market in the mid-1990s. 2012 Camry base prices start at 21-22K for a base L model, but my V6 XLE test-car had an almost 30K base-price and, with almost no options, listed for nearly 31K....at the bottom end of Lexus territory. However, the Camry's new interior, especially in XLE-trim, unlike the previous Camry, is (now) Lexus-worthy inside..........more on that later.

For the review, per the request, I selected a V6 XLE model. I would have personally have prefered a brighter color, but the only unsold V6 XLEs in stock were in gray and silver. It had a nice light-gray (Ash) leather interior, which, with the color-bars on the seats and the black dash/upper-door panels, actually gave a nice triple-tone effect. Though I found a few irritating things in the new design, in general, I was MUCH more impressed with it than with the previous Camry. Toyota took a lot of criticism from the press for the last model, and vowed that the new one would be better. It is.....and it shows. Details coming up.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2012 Toyota Camry V6 XLE

BASE PRICE: $29,845

OPTIONS:

Carpeted Floor Mats: $130

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $760 (about average for this class of car)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $30,735

DRIVETRAIN: FWD, 3.5L DOHC V6, 268 HP @ 6200 RPM, Torque 248 Ft-lbs. @ 4700 RPM, 6-speed automatic Sport-shift transmission.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 21 City / 30 Highway (not bad for a V6 this size)

EXTERIOR COLOR: Magnetic Gray

INTERIOR: Light Gray (Ash) Leather.

PLUSSES:

Vastly improved, Lexus-quality XLE interior materials for 2012.

Generally low depreciation and high resale value.

Silky-smooth powertrain.

V6 has better spunk than expected.

Generally good steering response.

Change to electric power steering this year still retains some steering-feel.

Fairly flat cornering.

German sport-sedan-firm brake pedal.

Fairly smooth/quiet ride (but not as silky or library-quiet as in previous versions).

Handsome (IMO) exterior styling.

Generally nice exterior paint color choice....but why have two grays?

Nice underhood gas-struts.

High-quality Michelin all-season tires on some samples (Bridgestones on others).

Decent front/rear headroom even with sunroof-housing.

Good rear legroom for tall persons if front seat is not adjusted too far back.

Convienent trunk-mounted remote-seat-drop levers.

Excellent stereo sound quality.

Good, clear primary-gauges (but quirky secondary ones).

Solid-feeling, generally easy-to-use *****/buttons/controls.

MINUSES:

Ride-comfort/noise level not quite as pleasant as in previous model.

NO body-side mouldings for parking-lot protection.

Doors/sheet metal feel lighter and less-solid than before.

Slight orange-peel in the gray paint-job.

Tight fit for V6 under the hood.

Large plastic engine-cover hampers access.

Too-small, poorly-shaped outside mirrors.

Awkward (for long legs) left-foot-operated parking-brake pedal.

Annoying (IMO) zig-zag transmission-shift lever.

Quirky ECO dash-light/gauge system.

So-so trunk-lining materials for the price.

Temporary spare tire.

EXTERIOR:

Walking up to the new Camry for the first time, you would not necessarily recognize it as the latest version of a long line of ancestors. Its styling, while IMO handsome, is Toyota-like, but not particularly Camry-like, if you gauge typical Camry styling by the last several versions. It appears, visually, to be slightly smaller than its immediate predecessor (although the dimensions and wheelbase are supposedly the same), and Toyota made no secret of the weight-reduction campaign.....the doors and sheet-metal do feel lighter, and close with a less-solid "thunk" than before (just like on the latest Prius models). The paint-job is generally good, but some orange-peel was evident on the medium-gray on my test-car, and it didn't quite have the ultra-shiny jewel-look that many Toyota/Scion/Lexus paint-jobs have. The XLE chrome grille looked more like that of the Lexus HS250 hybrid than it did past Camrys.....SE sport-oriented models, of course, have a body-color grille instead. The twin outside mirrors are, IMO, too small for optimum-rear-vision, and are shaped too much like a triangle instead of the preferred square/rectangle. There are no body-side-mouldings for parking-lot protection....which, in the Camry's case, not only increases the chances of door-dings, but also does little to break up the vast area of unadorned gray paint on each side of the car, as comparably little exterior chrome is used, except around the windor-frames. But what chrome IS used is very-well-applied, and feels (by plastic-chrome standards) rock-solid. I liked the general shape of the body and its styling, though....even without mouldings to break up the side-monotony, IMO, it looks much better than the outgoing Camry. A decent-looking array, IMO, of paint color choices are offered (and I liked the light-blue, Cypress Green, and medium red), but why have two grays? That, IMO, doesn't make sense......one gray is enough. Instead of an extra gray, they could have offered something like Amythist, Coral, or Turquoise instead....always lovely colors.

Each new Camry in the lot today seemed to have different-brand (or different model) tires on it, and I chose the gray one I did partly because of its high-quality Michelin MX4 all-seasons. Other Camrys, near it, had a couple of different types of Bridgestone all-seasons or other Michelin types on them.....apparantly, even among Camry models using the same-size tire, the factory-workers, at the plant, just seem to grab and mount whatever is available at the moment.

All in all, though, even considering the lighter, less-solid doors/sheet-metal and boring expanses of plain-paint, a good job on the new exterior. Its general lines, IMO, are considerably better-looking than the outgoing Camry.

UNDERHOOD:

Lift the hood, and two nice gas-struts hold it up instead of a cheap prop-rod (few things on a car irk me as much as fumbling with prop-rods). There is a nice, thick underhood insulation-pad attached (and it DOES help.......the engine runs silky smooth/quiet). Overall, though, so-so for the underhood layout. The battery, to the right of the engine, is uncovered and easy-to-reach (as are dipsticks/filler-caps/fluid-reservoirs). But the transversely-mounted 3.5L V6 fits into the limited room underhood rather tightly, and its large silver-plastic cover (why are automakers obsessed with those covers?) substantially impedes top-engine access. The tight engine-fit also impedes work around the sides of the block itself, though the oxygen-sensor on the exhaust-manifold is easily-reached. Unlike some Nissan 3.7L V6 engines I've sampled, though, that also have a tight fit (especially in the 370Z sports-car), the tight-fit of the Camry's 3.5L did not seem to affect air-flow around the block or engine-cooling.

INTERIOR:

Except for the spunky and silky-smooth V6 drivetrain, the new interior is absolutely the car's best feature. Toyota, probably in response to the criticism it took on the last Camry, has made enormous improvements in the general quality and fit/finish of the new interior. The XLE I was reviewing is, of course, the top-trim-level Camry, but all of them this year (that I've seen) also show marked improvement inside....even the base-model. My XLE's interior, fit/finish-wise, was worthy of a Lexus-badge.....and, IMO, trumps that of the Lexus entry-level CT and HS models. Gone are the silver-painted flimsy-plastic panels and cheap, wobbly manual-climate ***** I complained about in the old model....replaced by slick-operating, well-finished, solidly-attached controls. The Ash-gray leather interior in my test-car had real stitching (well-applied), and the dark contrasting seatback-stripes and black dash/upper-door-panel material gave the interior a nice, pleasant three-tone effect. Most of the interior had soft-touch surfaces (why the knee-rest pads on the sides of the console didn't beats me....that was the only screw-up). The door-panels had soft-surface vinyl and leather inserts. The wood-trim strips, with chrome-edges, reminded me of how well Audi applies them. The smart-looking wood-tone trim (some versions have brushed-metal instead) has none of that old orangish-color stuff that toyota used on some past models. The seats were comfortable and well-trimmed, though, of course, they didn't have sport-type bolsters, as the Camry is primarily a family-sedan. The stereo sound-quality was excellent....as good as some Lexus units, but not quite to the Lexus Mark-Levinson level. Headroom was generally good, both front and rear, for tall persons, even under the sunroof-housing. In the back, though, headroom was OK for tall persons once actualy inside and seated, but the roofline/rear-window-profile required a little head-ducking while getting in and out. Visibility out the back, from the driver's seat, was generally good......the C-pillars only impeded it slightly. Legroom was good in front and generally good in back for tall persons if the front-seats weren't adjusted too far back.

All of the interior hardware seemed solid and well-attached. The steering wheel was well-shaped and comfortable to hold, except for a couple of ridges on the upper-spokes, and it also had what was, IMO, too many controls on the spokes. The climate-system was effective, with the usual Toyota/Lexus Arctic-grade A/C and desert-grade heat.....and the controls were easy-to-use. A number of the stereo controls, though, were integrated into the NAV screen, which had a back-up camera, and, while the NAV controls wee a little more complex than I like, they were not bad by NAV standards (I've haven't seen yet what I consider a simple-to-use in-dash screen). The two primary gauges were clear and fairly easy-to-read.....though their light-blue needles weren't the best color-contrast for instant-deciphering.

There was only one thing I really didn't like about the new interior....and that was the quirky way in which the ECO bar-graph and analog-gauge needle worked. The ECO light on-off-mode was hard to figure out per the Owner's Manual-instructions....you have to get the icon in the correct odometer-mode, then hold the trip-button down several seconds to get the ECO ON mode, but then an instant-push to turn it off or back on again. Once it's off, the blue needle for the analog MPG-gauge didn't seem to want to move correctly (it indicated 20 MPG at a complete stop), and seemed to have a mind of its own. It's very difficult to tell if the analog-system is measuring trip-MPG, average-MPG, or instant-MPG....or if it's working correctly at all. I'm not necessarily blaming the system....maybe it's just something that I just need to learn and get used to. But, when I brought the car back, both the salesman and the sales-manager also seemed to have a time trying to figure it out, too....so I know it wasn't just me. The very small digital/bar-engine-temperature gauge, though better than simple red/blue idiot-lights, was not particularly easy in the daytime to decipher at a glance, either....it's easier in the dark, with the dash-lights on.

But......that was my only significant complaint inside. If Toyota does all of their new interiors like this, the company is going to go a long way.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK.

The new Camry's trunk-lid size, like that of most contemporary new sedans, is compromised somewhat by the rake-angle of the rear-roofline, but it opens up wide enough, and has a large-enough opening, to accept most reasonably-sized cargo. There is a superbly-finished/mounted strip of chrome across the rear of the trunk-lid that also contains the chrome Toyota logo.

The trunk-area fit/finish in back, inside, even on the top-line XLE, was somewhat of a let-down after the superb new cabin. Of course, bags/packages/luggage are not humans, and shouldn't be expected to ride along in cushy-comfort. Still, though, it's nice to have a well-finished trunk....it can add to a car's general pleasure-to-own index. The trunk-finish is not the worst I've seen, but the gray fabric used to line the floor and walls is not partucularly plush....but at least the walls don't have a hard-surface that can scratch or mar luggage. I didn't see any built-in cargo-nets to hold bags/packages like are in some other cars of this class. The trunk room itself is not bad, but a large metal cross-brace that adds rear chassis-rigidity impedes on some room right behind the seats (I haven't seen the new Camry Hybrid model, but I think that the cross-brace also serves as an anchor for the Hybrid's Nickel-hydride battery-pack). The cross-brace has a oval/rectangle-shaped hole in it for long, narrow items.....and the rear seats (at least in non-Hybrid-Camrys) fold down for added-cargo space. A nice touch is the two remotely-located seat-levers in the rear of the trunk, so you can drop the seats while you are loading cargo. And, under the trunk-floor, of course, is (you guessed it).......the ubiquitous temporary-spare tire instead of a real one.

ON THE ROAD:

In the XLE, you start up the ubiquitous 3.5L Toyota V6 with a nice engine START/STOP button. That is a feature that I'd like to see all cars adopt, but, of course, it requires sophisticated electronics in the fob and ignition system for security, and costs automakers extra money. Still, it is offered, today, even in some versions of cheap subcompacts like the Ford Fiesta.....so the cost of production can't be that exorbitant.

The V6 fires up (or, rather, I should say whispers up) with the usual Toyota/Lexus V6 smoothness/quietness. On the road, it remains silky-smooth and quiet, but the V6's throttle-response is surprising, considering the rated 248 ft-lbs. of torque. It feels, to me, in a car of this type, more like 280 or 290 actual ft-lbs....perhaps some of the weight-reduction in the doors/sheet metal is paying off here.

The 6-speed transmission is also silky smooth/quiet, just like the engine. The shifter is comfortable to hold and is extremely well-trimmed/finished, but, as in many Toyotas, has the annoying zig-zag that I've never cared for. Shifts are smooth and almost imperceptable.....the sport-oriented SE model has paddle-shifters on the steering-wheel, but not any of the other Camry versions.

The weight-reduction, along with a brand-new chassis design, seems to also have had an effect on handling. The appliance-like handling of the old (non-SE) Camry model has been replaced with slightly better steering-response and somewhat flatter cornering. The new Camry has electric power-steering, but still seems to have some tactile-feel in the boost......some electric-steering systems are like dentist's novocaine. But, make no mistake about it.........this is not a BMW by any means. Ride quality is not firm by any means, but, with the new suspension and chassis-redesign, has lost a little of the old magic-carpet smoothness over bumps. You both feel and hear the bumps slightly now, but, compared to many other new cars, the ride is still somewhat on the smooth side. That, however, is just the way that the entire auto industry seems to be going.....with few exceptions, handling now takes priority over ride-comfort.

Last, the weight-reduction may (?) have also had an effect on the noise-level. Again, the old Camry seemed to ride as quietly as a Lincoln Town Car, but the new one has just slightly, but noticeably more, road/wind noise. Perhaps part of the weight-loss may be a reduction in the wheel-well and body insulation, or maybe it was just the tread-characteristics of the Michelin all-season tires on my particular test-car. Michelins, in general, though they vary from tire-model to another, are not known for extreme ride-quietness.

The brakes, like the interior and drive-train, are another one of the car's outstanding features. The pedal seemed well-located in relation to the gas-pedal......I don't remember having any problems with my big size-15 clown-shoes getting hung up on the brake pedal when lifting from gas to brake. The brakes themselves, though not Porsche-911 in stopping-distance, were reasonably effective. And the brake-pedal action, unlike the excessive, Push-and-Pray sponginess on the little-brother Toyota Corolla, felt like a well-engineered German sport-sedan. It had no slop or no sponginess at all...the pedal responded as instantaneously as a politician to a campaign-check.

THE VERDICT:

Well, even with the new Camry's few annoying features, it's still safe to say, IMO, that it represents a significant (if not major) improvement over the outgoing model. Compared to the old, the few negative features on the new model (quirky ECO-gauge system, slightly less-pleasant ride/noise-level, tight-fit of the V6 for DIY'ers, and skimpier-feeling doors/sheet-metal, IMO, are more than balanced-out by the superb new interior, somewhat better-handling, spunk of the V6/6-speed combination, 30-MPG highway MPG figure, and, of course, a much-less likelihood of having safety-related investigations like the old model. Nor will the present 3.5L V6 likely have the sludge/gelling problems of the old 3.0L V6 from the late 1990s if the oil-changes are extended a little.

Of course, the new Camry will not exist in a vaccum, either.....its arch-rival Honda Accord will also be redesigned and brand-new for 2013, so we should start to see it next fall. And other automakers have not stayed in a vaccum, either.....the once-triumphant Camry and Accord now get good competition from the Nissan Altima, Subaru Legacy, Chevy Malibu, Ford Fusion, Buick LaCrosse, and, of course, the fast-increasing sales (and customer-satisfaction) of the Hyundai Sonata.

But, for now, the new Camry will certainly have its perch to roost on....and roost it will, at least until next autumn.

And, as always, of course......Happy Car Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-29-11 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-29-11, 08:34 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent review Marshall! This definitely helps me out since your perspective is generally what I look for in a car. I can't wait for them to come in to my local dealership so I can check it out in person
Old 09-29-11, 08:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Excellent review as always Mike. Although its not revolutionary, its evolution will definitely keep it among the leaders in this segment. My biggest praise goes to the interior which is vastly improved IMO. Materials, design layout, and fit and finish look good. Also kudos to Toyota for keeping the V6. I've heard rumors that the 2013 Malibu (and Fusion) will also sport only NA and FI inline-4s though this remains to be seen. Although I do appreciate fuel economy, that doesn't mean I want to give up a smooth V6.
Old 09-29-11, 09:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Excellent review as always Mike.
Thanks.

My biggest praise goes to the interior which is vastly improved IMO. Materials, design layout, and fit and finish look good.
Yes, the new interior seems to be the thing that most reviewers comment on the most .....even Consumer Reports. In the XLE, it is clearly Lexus-grade.

Also kudos to Toyota for keeping the V6. I've heard rumors that the 2013 Malibu (and Fusion) will also sport only NA and FI inline-4s though this remains to be seen. Although I do appreciate fuel economy, that doesn't mean I want to give up a smooth V6.
Toyota/Lexus, of course, has a reputation for good drivetrains. The 3.5L V6, especially in this new Camry version, seems to have combined gas-mileage with power very well......it can do at least 30 MPG on the highway (maybe more, if you are careful), yet, if desired, show enough spunk, especially in the lower gears, to push you back in the seat.

We'll have to wait and see, on the no-V6 question, with the Fusion and Malibu. If the Fusion keeps the AWD option it now offers, I don't think that the standard N/A four will have enough spunk to handle that extra weight and drag.....they will either need a turbo 4 or a small V6. The new Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima, of course, have already given up V6s.

The Subaru Legacy and Outback, of course, have N/A fours with AWD, but that is a simpler, less-drag AWD system than many other automakers use, and the new 2010-2011 models have a more-efficient CVT transmission that helps counteract it. Older Outbacks/Legacys, of course, had the AWD with older transmissions and N/A four, but they tended to be underpowered.
Old 09-29-11, 09:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Excellent review Marshall!
Thanks.

This definitely helps me out since your perspective is generally what I look for in a car.
Thanks. Glad it helped. That's why I do them.

I can't wait for them to come in to my local dealership so I can check it out in person
It's not out there in CA yet? Often, new models get introduced on the West Coast before that make it back East ......that, of course, is because of the L.A./ SoCal region being the center of the nation's car-culture. Cars are also a huge part of D.C.-area daily-life (the traffic-count proves that) but in a different way than in much of SoCal.

You'll probably get to see the Scion iQ minicar, though, before I do. Scion plans to start it on the West Coast next month, but not until February or March here in the East. I have a CL review-request for the iQ, but I'm going to have to wait, of course, for local-availability. We might have it at the D.C. Auto Show in late January, but, by then, it will be almost ready to launch here.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-29-11 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-29-11, 10:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Toyota/Lexus, of course, has a reputation for good drivetrains. The 3.5L V6, especially in this new Camry version, seems to have combined gas-mileage with power very well......it can do at least 30 MPG on the highway (maybe more, if you are careful), yet, if desired, show enough spunk, especially in the lower gears, to push you back in the seat.

We'll have to wait and see, on the no-V6 question, with the Fusion and Malibu. If the Fusion keeps the AWD option it now offers, I don't think that the standard N/A four will have enough spunk to handle that extra weight and drag.....they will either need a turbo 4 or a small V6. The new Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima, of course, have already given up V6s.

The Subaru Legacy and Outback, of course, have N/A fours with AWD, but that is a simpler, less-drag AWD system than many other automakers use, and the new 2010-2011 models have a more-efficient CVT transmission that helps counteract it. Older Outbacks/Legacys, of course, had the AWD with older transmissions and N/A four, but they tended to be underpowered.
One thing the Fusion has going for it over most every competitor in its class save for Subaru is the AWD option, which IMO is a smart move. Point being, I think heavy weights Camry and Accord could lure buyers looking at crossovers/wagons/hatches. At the very least, corporate cousin ES350 would be a prime choice for an AWD addition.

Although this generation of Fusion doesn't have a turbo 4, I could almost guarantee the 2013 will see an EcoBoost four in it's engine bay.
Old 09-29-11, 10:09 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They completely screwed the pooch on the colors. No more Blue Ribbon Metallic, or ANY darker Blue? Spruce Mica? Gone. But we got two grays..AWESOME! Not.
Old 09-29-11, 10:23 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good to hear of the vast improvements from the previous generation.

We'll get to see real soon how the Camry will hold up against the competition with all the added amenities. The midsized sedan market is extremely competitive, and the Camry has a big fight to maintain its sales figures.
Old 09-29-11, 11:30 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, it should be noted that things like body side moldings are available. They've always been optional accessories or dealer installed options.
Old 09-30-11, 07:57 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great detailed review again Mike. Looks like they have a winner on their hands again!
Old 09-30-11, 09:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
They completely screwed the pooch on the colors. No more Blue Ribbon Metallic, or ANY darker Blue? Spruce Mica? Gone. But we got two grays..AWESOME! Not.
Yep, they call them Cosmic Gray (a dark-gray shade) and Magnetic Gray (a medium-gray shade). The one blue seems to be a nice sky-blue....I like it.

You can check them out here:

http://www.toyota.com/camry/exterior-360.html
Old 09-30-11, 09:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
One thing the Fusion has going for it over most every competitor in its class save for Subaru is the AWD option, which IMO is a smart move. Point being, I think heavy weights Camry and Accord could lure buyers looking at crossovers/wagons/hatches. At the very least, corporate cousin ES350 would be a prime choice for an AWD addition.

Although this generation of Fusion doesn't have a turbo 4, I could almost guarantee the 2013 will see an EcoBoost four in it's engine bay.
I agree with you, though...for several reasons, I'd rather have a N/A V6 than a turbo 4.
Old 09-30-11, 09:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Good to hear of the vast improvements from the previous generation.
Depends on what you call improvements. There's no denying the vast upgrade in interior quality and the silky-smooth yet powerful drivetrain (and the new interior was sorely-needed), but I myself don't care for the tendency of many (in fact, most) new or redesigned models to stiffen up the suspension and use lower-profile tires. The new Camry held the ride-stiffening to a minimum over the old model, but it is still noticeable.

We'll get to see real soon how the Camry will hold up against the competition with all the added amenities. The midsized sedan market is extremely competitive, and the Camry has a big fight to maintain its sales figures.
The next big gainer in sales in the low/medium-price mid-size sedan field (if enough people actually go to the showroom to take a look at it) will probably be the new Kia Optima. It won't approach Camry/Accord sales numbers anytime soon, of course, but to see the new Optima and drive it is to believe. I think you are soon going to see some significantly-increased Optima sales out the door. In fact, if I go with a FWD sedan next time, I may be one of them

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-30-11 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-30-11, 09:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
Also, it should be noted that things like body side moldings are available. They've always been optional accessories or dealer installed options.
Some dealers offer them.....some don't. And, yes, you can sometimes get stick-on aftermarket ones at some auto-parts stores. But I just think that, fashion or not, it's just skin-flint cheapness on the factory's part not to include them on new cars.....especially after most new cars have had them standard for decades. To me, it's like going back to the old hand-crank-starters before Cadillac invented the electric-starter in 1912.
Old 09-30-11, 09:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
Great detailed review again Mike. Looks like they have a winner on their hands again!
Thanks. Hopefully, as more new vehicles (finally) become available here in the D.C. area, I'll be able to soon catch up on my CL review-request backlog (I've still got 5 or 6 more of them waiting right now). The big earthquake/tsunami earlier this year really impacted Japanese auto and parts-production (even for a lot of cars assembled in American plants), and only now are we starting to see some of the new models-shipped.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2012 Toyota Camry XLE V6