Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford to pay bonuses and raises, GM and Chrysler decline to do same

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-12, 10:05 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Ford to pay bonuses and raises, GM and Chrysler decline to do same

Ford to pay bonuses and raises, GM and Chrysler decline to do same

Ford has announced that it will give both bonuses and merit-based raises to the company's salaried workers in the United States and Canada for the first time since 2008, according to Reuters. On average, the manufacturer will offer a 2.7 percent salary increase based on individual performance. The company stopped offering the bonuses after the financial crisis of 2009 sent automotive sales into a plunge. Ford paid neither bonuses nor merit raises that year, but offered merit raises in 2010. In 2011, the company's workers received bonuses only.

Of course, this decision has sent all eyes toward General Motors and Chrysler and their plans for their own workers. According to The Detroit News, both GM and Chrysler have said raises and bonuses will be determined by their own performance, not their rival's actions. GM has announced the company will make a final decision after it analyzes its financial results for 2011. Chrysler, meanwhile, intends to announce its fourth-quarter 2011 results on February 1, after which it will determine whether its workers will be eligible for their yearly awards.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/23/f...line-to-do-sa/
Old 01-23-12, 10:07 AM
Hoovey689

Another reason I <3 Ford.

According to The Detroit News, both GM and Chrysler have said raises and bonuses will be determined by their own performance, not their rival's actions.
haha right....
Old 01-23-12, 10:38 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Though I believe the bailouts of GM and Chryselor were necessary, I think consideration to paying back the tax payers should be made as a priority to bonuses, or definitely in addition to.
Old 01-23-12, 11:52 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

^That could be why they arent paying bonuses and raises. I dont know for sure though, and the article doesnt say. I do know, having been in the industry long enough, that if your company owes big money, bonuses and raises are the first things to go. It just makes good business sense.

Good on ya, Chrysler and GM
Old 01-23-12, 12:04 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Why were the bailouts necessary?

To save Ford....
Old 01-23-12, 03:34 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa

To save Ford....
REALLY??????????????
Old 01-23-12, 04:05 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

To save Ford....
Please explain, I for one have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 01-23-12, 06:10 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
^That could be why they arent paying bonuses and raises. I dont know for sure though, and the article doesnt say. I do know, having been in the industry long enough, that if your company owes big money, bonuses and raises are the first things to go. It just makes good business sense.

Good on ya, Chrysler and GM
No bonus or raises also caused a brain drain and makes it easier for me to take those engineers and executives and send them elsewhere. You only have a to stiff someone one time and that is all I need to steal them away.

It really is a catch a 22 so they will have to do something to keep their top people or lose them, and those those that are not the top, the turnover alone ends up costing the company several times the personal salary in retraining, lost productivity and hiring costs.
Old 01-23-12, 06:29 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Come on guys don't play naive
Without ensuring the rest of the supply line staying alive Ford would've died once GM fell, the collateral damage would've completely wrecked the remaining of the big three's operations

Edit: how much of this is true or not, we won't know due to the power of the unions over Obama...

Last edited by vraa; 01-23-12 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-23-12, 06:38 PM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Me like!

They should share their wealth, nothing wrong with that. Ford was one of the few companies that did good during the bad economy hit so I am sure their employees worked very hard and earned every bit of this. Well deserved! I tip my hat to Ford.
Old 01-24-12, 10:35 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Come on guys don't play naive
Without ensuring the rest of the supply line staying alive Ford would've died once GM fell, the collateral damage would've completely wrecked the remaining of the big three's operations

Edit: how much of this is true or not, we won't know due to the power of the unions over Obama...
Always President Obama’s fault or definitely the unions, never wall street speculators, or sub prime mortgage industry. Then there is......................................................
Old 01-24-12, 12:04 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Odd, I thought this was car chat... Obama into BMW's? Wall street Speculators rocking some new Hyundai?

Debate forum is in another part of CL. Should I move this?
Old 01-24-12, 12:37 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Probably not a bad idea. One can get the political back and forth elsewhere. I say keep it Car Chat...
Old 02-02-12, 03:01 PM
Hoovey689

Default I knew it

Chrysler employees to get first profit-share payouts since 2005

Chrysler employees received some good news this week. The automaker announced it would issue profit-sharing checks worth $1,500 to each of its hourly workers for the first time since 2005. The company posted a $183 million profit for 2011, marking the first time the company has avoided a loss in six years, according to The Detroit Free Press. The earnings were due largely to a host of more compelling vehicles, including the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Durango, Chrysler 200 and 300. Each of those vehicles command a higher price tag than their less-refined predecessors.

On average, buyers have been willing to hand over $3,200 more for their Chrysler vehicles than they did just one year prior. Company CEO Sergio Marchionne said the profit-sharing checks were a reward that the company's workers had earned.

Interestingly enough, parent company Fiat isn't enjoying the same success back home. According to the report, without the earnings from the Italian automaker's stake in Chrysler, Fiat would have reported a $265 million loss in 2011. In a strange turn of fate, Chrysler has begun supporting Fiat. With Italy and the rest of Europe in the throws of a debt crisis, the automaker doesn't look to have a better 2012, either.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/02/c...ts-since-2005/