Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Got the HID's in the Ram...man what a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-11, 06:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dj.ctwatt
Honestly, I don't understand why they don't come stock on all new cars. With the cheap stuff coming out of China, it can't be that expensive. If only they were mandated by the DOT... Honestly, preventing accidents (with better lighting) should be just as important as protection for when they actually do happen.
I agree, it should be more standard and to me in the last few years HIDs being standard hasn't risen much. I think the industry is trying to decide will it skip to LEDs in some instances.

Old 06-07-11, 08:06 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll pass on LED technology. . . it's been around forever for tail lights. . . and having one dead bulb is not only annoying, but costly to repair. And unfortunately, as good as the technology is today, it's not perfect.
Old 06-07-11, 09:38 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
HID's should be standard on all cars already. LED's should be the high end option now.
It is getting that way, some Civics in Japan come stock with HID.

LED looks way cooler in styling, but I don't find them any brighter then the best HID though.
Old 06-07-11, 09:42 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dj.ctwatt
I'll pass on LED technology. . . it's been around forever for tail lights. . . and having one dead bulb is not only annoying, but costly to repair. And unfortunately, as good as the technology is today, it's not perfect.
LED never die..........they last way longer then the rest of the car.

There are always exception of course, but that is just very bad luck, or the owner breaks them.
Old 06-07-11, 09:53 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

I work in electronics manufacturing... Specifically IC's (chips). Even at a 1% defect rate, that's still 1/100, that's going to be AT LEAST 1 bad LED per 10 cars... And I can tell you 1% is unbelievably low!! And trust me, not every single LED, no matter the quality, last forever, or even 10 years, or even 5. Just look at percentage of new LED TV's with bad LED's... It's mind blowing!
Old 06-07-11, 09:58 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Ps, sorry for the threadjack. I'll end my comments now.
Old 06-07-11, 02:12 PM
seanlee
Driver

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Get in front of me, you will be singing a different tune. I was followed tonight by my truck, (my wife driving) in a 3 series BMW with no tints. Glare is minimal. Ever occur to you that maybe I am one of the few who is not a complete *** and looks into stuff before he does it? I know projectors are the way to go, but for me at this point, its not a viable option. This is the next best thing. I hate when others put people at risk, I would never do anything to endanger anyone. If they had glare when I checked them after install, they would have come out, went back in the box, and got shipped back to the company for a refund immediately.

In the end, you are entitled to your opinion, as I am mine. Neither is likely to change the other.
well. it is great that you selected a HID that with other driver in mind. however, i would say that what if what you said is true, then you are the only driver i know who mod their trunk with other people in their mind.

i drive between San Diego and LA on the weekly basis, and i have never seen a HID mod vehicle that doesn't blind driver in front of him/her, especially if the mod vehicle on your rear left (so it bascially blind your side mirror).

also, HID mod is illegal in CA, i wonder why aren't cops go after them?
Old 06-07-11, 02:57 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by seanlee
Most cops knows almost nothing about cars, they certainly can't tell OEM HID from aftermarket HID. I won't be surprise some cops don't even know what HID is.
Old 06-08-11, 01:26 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BNR34
Most cops knows almost nothing about cars, they certainly can't tell OEM HID from aftermarket HID. I won't be surprise some cops don't even know what HID is.
Cops know more than you think. Plus every headlight is stamped with the bulb type so its not hard to find out if you have OEM HIDs or aftermarket HIDs in halogen optics.

I thought it is against federal law to alter the headlights? I think aftermarket HID's are illegal in all 50 states. Anything higher than 5000K HIDs are also illegal if I recall. 5000K was allowed as an OE replacement. That said, where I'm from I see so many cops driving around with aftermarket HID's on their cars that its pretty much an non issue anymore unless they want a reason to pull you over.
Old 06-08-11, 06:47 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

ArmyofOne,

Thanks for posting up pictures of the XenonDepot HID kit. I'm glad to hear that you are happy with the product :-) Did you end up having to use a resistor to avoid any flickering issues (not applicable to Lexus Vehicles).

Steve
Old 06-08-11, 11:49 AM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Ahhh i freicken hate trucks with HID, blind the crap out of you from behind =/
I'm happy my SC comes with a factory auto-dimming rearview mirror that keeps me from being blinded by those a*hole trucks

Last edited by suislide; 06-08-11 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-08-11, 04:18 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is done correctly, I have no problems. It sounds like Army is doing the best he can to prevent all the crap we have experienced. The fact he hasn't just slapped in those aftermarket HIDs and doesn't give a crap should be commended. I hate people with aftermarket HIDs and yes trucks are more easily perpetrators due to the lights being higher up. One of the reasons Toyota doesn't put HIDs in all their trucks. I just angle my side mirror down to give them a taste of their own BS or turn on my rear flood on my FJ.
Old 06-08-11, 05:31 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by seanlee
well. it is great that you selected a HID that with other driver in mind. however, i would say that what if what you said is true, then you are the only driver i know who mod their trunk with other people in their mind.

i drive between San Diego and LA on the weekly basis, and i have never seen a HID mod vehicle that doesn't blind driver in front of him/her, especially if the mod vehicle on your rear left (so it bascially blind your side mirror).

I checked the cutoff yesterday, yet again. I parked paralell to a wall of building at night, the cutoff is just below the mirror level of a chevy malibu that was parked perpendicular to the wall. From the rear, my lights cutoff below the mirrors and rear windscreen on most cars. I really do try to do things the right way...
Originally Posted by XenonDepot
ArmyofOne,

Thanks for posting up pictures of the XenonDepot HID kit. I'm glad to hear that you are happy with the product :-) Did you end up having to use a resistor to avoid any flickering issues (not applicable to Lexus Vehicles).

Steve
No sir, they were perfect right out of the box!

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 06-08-11 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-09-11, 09:04 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Sweet!! Enjoy :-)