Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scion Concept Car to debut in New York 4/20/11 (FT86)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-11, 03:31 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see the point about concept cars sometimes being so OUT THERE that they really don't matter, but that's only some concept cars. A designer has to let loose sometimes.

I've observed a trend in recent years where concept cars give the enthusiast who's paying attention a nice preview of upcoming production models. So they can help build interest in new models prior to production release, they get me noticing sometimes. I'll skip the hug and take the sneak pick even if it's in the form of a slick concept car.

Examples of such concept cars: Boxster, Camaro, Vertrek (which hopefully gives us a good idea of future Escape/Kuga).
Old 04-13-11, 05:04 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by svntwosix
makes sense to put this into the brand as Scion isn't getting much sales. Toyota needs to inject some life into Scion. Good move for company. But bad for those who care about the badge. Me included.
Why exactly?
Old 04-13-11, 05:12 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I don't see why there is a double standard. One is more revolutionary than the other. Its not always about disrespect to Toyota. I agree that concepts are the future, but that is when I will be really interested in the model....in the future when it becomes a reality and the designs and technology actually are applied to the newest models being released. Its nice to know what direction they may be going in but as we all know not everything or every idea will be applied or become a reality.

I guess I need a hug
Scion doesn't show many concepts often, mostly modified cars. This is simply the debut of the Scion FT-86, which was rumored to happen. So the concept will be shown then it will debut next year in 2012 as a 2013 model. Not sure why anyone would complain about a concept, especially since its a first version for Scion.

I think the internet is terrible in some ways. People expect a car to debut in 3 weeks or something. It takes years to happen. The damn internet has people acting like you can refresh a car like you refresh a page. Surely we all remember only seeing concepts once/twice a year in a magazine and if we were lucky on T.V. Today with the internet its ruined some of the fun of concepts and car debuts. (this last part is not directed at you fyi)

Old 04-13-11, 05:16 PM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

We need a new word for cars that are "near production" rather than calling all them "concepts" up until they're in the showrooms. We've seen multiple versions of the FT-86 and this MUST be near production.
Old 04-13-11, 05:21 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
Lower price vs higher starting price and trying to negotiate a lower price

I'll take lower price

Starting price means nothing to me.

I like to negotiate big discounts. i like to fight the managers and salesmen.

scion prices their cars so that you don't have to haggle, but that doesn't mean you're getting the absolute best price compared to if haggling were allowed.
Old 04-14-11, 12:17 PM
svntwosix
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Why exactly?
No company wants to fail. Toyota created the Scion division for the younger audience. Toyota is constantly under attack for not doing anything different and has been viewed as having one of the most conservative automotive designs. Scion is supposed to be their "wild" side. If Scion brand dies, their campaign to show they can create unique looking cars becomes a failure.
Old 04-15-11, 12:01 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Disappointed it will be branded a Scion here in North America, but still happy the car is coming. Production model debuts soon as well. On the one bright side, debuting as a Scion will hopefully mean some factory performance upgrades available for the car.
Old 04-15-11, 07:03 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Disappointed it will be branded a Scion here in North America, but still happy the car is coming. Production model debuts soon as well. On the one bright side, debuting as a Scion will hopefully mean some factory performance upgrades available for the car.
There's a downside to this however.

Scions are sold as mono-spec (you get a base model at that price and that's that, your options are manual or auto). Every additional thing you add will cost you quite a pretty penny (this is how Scion makes money by the way, not by individual car sales but accessories and financing).

If Scion gets the FT86 you can guarantee there will be no AWD/turbo version.

You may be able to fit a turbo system from the factory but it won't be a trim level. So you'll pay a lot for just a turbo system and no other nice features.

I really don't want to pay extra for HIDs, fogs, alcantara/leather interior, turbo, etc separately. If you package them together (ala STI trim) you get a better deal.

Oh well, we'll see how they try to pull this off. I may have to look to the Subaru version to see a STI-like trim (was really hoping for a return of the All-trac).
Old 04-15-11, 07:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
There's a downside to this however.

Scions are sold as mono-spec (you get a base model at that price and that's that, your options are manual or auto). Every additional thing you add will cost you quite a pretty penny (this is how Scion makes money by the way, not by individual car sales but accessories and financing).

If Scion gets the FT86 you can guarantee there will be no AWD/turbo version.

You may be able to fit a turbo system from the factory but it won't be a trim level. So you'll pay a lot for just a turbo system and no other nice features.

I really don't want to pay extra for HIDs, fogs, alcantara/leather interior, turbo, etc separately. If you package them together (ala STI trim) you get a better deal.

Oh well, we'll see how they try to pull this off. I may have to look to the Subaru version to see a STI-like trim (was really hoping for a return of the All-trac).
Scions are also very nicely equipped from start... but that should not be taken as gospel, they can offer several models for FT-S.
Old 04-15-11, 10:46 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by spwolf
Scions are also very nicely equipped from start... but that should not be taken as gospel, they can offer several models for FT-S.
Good point.

I agree Scions do start well equipped at their price point (it's why I own one!)

But outside of Spec and RS models they haven't had any trim levels and those don't significantly change much. Usually just some interior and exterior mods nothing mechanical (drivetrain related at least). Sure they might have the RS 5.0 tC with exhaust and intake mods or the RS 7.0 xB with the muffler mod but no drivetrain choices.

You're right that they don't have to continue this sales technique but it seems to be the general rule of thumb.

Let's hope I'm wrong, I want a turbo!
Old 04-15-11, 04:17 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by svntwosix
No company wants to fail. Toyota created the Scion division for the younger audience. Toyota is constantly under attack for not doing anything different and has been viewed as having one of the most conservative automotive designs. Scion is supposed to be their "wild" side. If Scion brand dies, their campaign to show they can create unique looking cars becomes a failure.
So they decide NOT to brand this very cool car as a Toyota. Makes sense how?
Old 04-15-11, 04:47 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

damn, i forgot about the non negotiable pricing.. at least there's 5 more days till it debuts
Old 04-15-11, 05:35 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Why exactly?

I agree with this. Why must the FT-86 be branded as a Scion in order to inject life into the brand? The problem with Scion is their current offering. They deviated from their original offerings and that's what got them in the craphole that they're in now. When someone says Scion, you think of the original xB and tC. You don't think of the current bloated underpowered overpriced xB, or the outdated tC. If Toyota wants the Scion brand to come back to life, work on the core models. Adding another car to the lineup isn't going to do much. You'll end up having one good car and the rest will be junk.
Old 04-15-11, 05:44 PM
LexFather

So they decide NOT to brand this very cool car as a Toyota. Makes sense how?
Its freaking mind numbing. Unless we get a Suburu, Toyota and Scion version Not to mention there is already the tC for Scion.

I've said it before and have no problem saying it. The Scion brand doesn't appeal to me much and I don't want to really own a Scion. A Toyota, yes. Toyota has tons of racing history and TRD to back the car. As some have stated Toyota is bashed for being boring and they are going to do this?

I guess Toyota really doesn't care what people think though, they continue to do well, sell and will just make Scion the sporty brand.

Old 04-15-11, 06:07 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

scion is still toyota. mechanicals are still toyota.

as far as driving experience, it shouldn't matter what the badge says.

but it would definitely be nice for toyota to add back the sport image, after removing the supra and celica.

Quick Reply: Scion Concept Car to debut in New York 4/20/11 (FT86)