Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 06:28 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Let's compare to direct competition.

Disclaimer: the MB and BMW are production models, I couldn't find their concept pictures.

In my opinion, just because it has a line, doesn't mean it isn't bland.

Sometimes the most subtle design is the most beautiful. I can go on ahead and say the lines that the E and 5 series are bland and not exciting.

Last edited by G Star; 04-12-11 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 06:30 PM
LexFather

That E-class looks like something from the 80s....egads....and it sells like hotcakes so people like them no matter what I think

Old 04-12-11, 06:33 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks like previous gen BMW 5 to me even the rear doors are the same length as BMW. Benz rear doors are longer. Hopefully the production car will look less BMW
Old 04-12-11, 06:58 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G Star
In my opinion, just because it has a line, doesn't mean it isn't bland.

Sometimes the most subtle design is the most beautiful. I can go on ahead and say the lines that the E and 5 series are bland and not exciting.
I'm not understanding this. Can you explain?

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Looks like previous gen BMW 5 to me even the rear doors are the same length as BMW. Benz rear doors are longer. Hopefully the production car will look less BMW
lol I think it's because he chose a long-wheelbase E-class picture there
Old 04-12-11, 07:03 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
I agree with him. A car doesn't have to have creases and angles all over the side to make it 'not bland'. Look at the original Lexus SC, the side had 1 line that went across, that was it. Side profile of that car was beautiful.

Looking at that side profile for the LF-Gh again, the side skirts RUIN the side profile pic. I see a car that looks clean, elegant, classy from the side, with the exception of the side skirt, and the front end and rear end that are obnoxious and very un-Lexus like.
Old 04-12-11, 07:27 PM
ggravant
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it! Here are some quickie color change chops - more to life than plain old silver, right?
Attached Thumbnails Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)-lf-gh_color_change_1.jpg   Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)-lf-gh_color_change_2.jpg   Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)-lf-gh_color_change_3.jpg   Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)-lf-gh_color_change_4.jpg   Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)-lf-gh_color_change_5.jpg  

Old 04-12-11, 07:28 PM
ggravant
Driver

More colors ...
Attached Thumbnails Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)-lf-gh_color_change_6.jpg   Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)-lf-gh_color_change_7.jpg   Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)-lf-gh_color_change_8.jpg   Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)-lf-gh_color_change_9.jpg   Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)-lf-gh_color_change_10.jpg  

Old 04-12-11, 07:33 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ggravant
I like it! Here are some quickie color change chops - more to life than plain old silver, right?
I like it too! I like it more at this point than I liked the 3GS when it came out (and I still bought a 3GS ).

Definitely silver is weak and I am liking the blue one... Hopefully the production version has some of these elements minus the gaudy grill.

I am not disappointed.

Cool photoshops, BTW.

Last edited by marshmallo; 04-12-11 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 07:41 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

knihc brings up a good point with the LFS. Similar to the LF-Gh, the LFS was said to be the forerunner of Lexus design at the time and just a few months later we got the GS, then later the IS, ES and LS. The LFS doesn't look like any one of those cars, but does display several of the design cues that we saw run across the rest of the lineup.

I find the LFS to be similarly "flat" and bland like the LF-Gh so perhaps there is some similarity in the purpose of these two concepts.

Also, I feel like Lexus has been rather purpose-oriented with their concept cars in recent years, as is illustrated below. While they made several "grand touring" references in the LF-Gh press release, they were also specific enough to mention that this was not a forbearer for any one future vehicle even though we can all read between the lines. My guess is that the LF-Gh concept gives them the perfect opportunity to lightly tease the 4GS while making an LFS-like statement about the design of future models...two birds with one stone, neither representing a necessarily production-ready theme.

Concept:

Production:

Concept:

Production:

Concept:

The verbiage or intent around the LF-Gh does not seem as clear as it was for the LF-Sh, LF-Xh or LF-Ch, so I am thinking the 4GS will actually look quite different from what we see in these photos.
Old 04-12-11, 07:47 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

lol I think it's because he chose a long-wheelbase E-class picture there

What more can I say? I find the side profile of 5 and E bland and unexciting (their front end is distinct and desirable) while I find the LF-GH beautiful from an industrial design viewpoint. The front end is a little on the wild side but I like it. I suppose I'm a bit different as I actually think the BMW X6 is cool while it seems the rest of the world hates it.
Old 04-12-11, 07:50 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The verbiage or intent around the LF-Gh does not seem as clear as it was for the LF-Sh, LF-Xh or LF-Ch, so I am thinking the 4GS will actually look quite different from what we see in these photos.
Hopefully. The only thing that gives me pause is the fact that the LF-Gh seems to have an interior that's pretty much production ready, something that none of the aforementioned concepts even had. Oh well, only time will tell!
Old 04-12-11, 07:57 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

LOL, Hyundai is the King of all thieves. Lexus is just stealing back
some of their design elements like the LS inspired rear end of this car...

Originally Posted by dunnojack
rear end looks too much like a Sonata.

Old 04-12-11, 08:09 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Hopefully. The only thing that gives me pause is the fact that the LF-Gh seems to have an interior that's pretty much production ready, something that none of the aforementioned concepts even had. Oh well, only time will tell!
If it makes you feel any better, this was the interior of the 2005 LFA concept. Crazy how little changed over 6 years!

Old 04-12-11, 08:20 PM
ggravant
Driver

Nice! Would love to see some color chops based on my productionized versions too!
Here are three colors - want to see any others?

Last edited by ggravant; 04-13-11 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 08:49 PM
LexFather

^^^Okay I'd hit the white one

Quick Reply: Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)