Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Luxury: German vs Japanese

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-10, 11:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if i had to choose IS vs. 3 series, i'd get 3 series
if i had to choose GS vs. 5 series, i'd get 5 series (or an ES and save a bundle)
if i had to choose LS vs. 7 series, i'd get the LS
if i had to choose RX vs. X5, i'd get the RX (450h)

for benz, i'd get C class over IS, E over GS, S over LS, but i'd still get an RX over a ML/GLK.
hahahhaa, paul, your choices are pretty much exactly the same as mine!
Old 11-08-10, 11:54 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
They are not British owned, but these car brands are still British.

Relevant to this thread, the RX is made in Canada. Lots of Mercedes are built in North America too. That doesn't make them less Japanese/German.
Somewhat true. Many Toyotas are made in the U.S., Canada and all over the world but the engineering, processes & procedures, responsibilities, accountability, philosophies, etc. are Japanese through and through.

Example; when one is a new owner of a cellphone that person configures the cellphone to their liking, ways, etc. So the new owners of the once upon a time British car companies take over they will eventually configure their newly acquired British company to their liking, ways, etc. Eventually the new owners will suggest their own engineering processes and procedures, philosophies, techniques, management, influence, etc. and so on.

Last edited by Trexus; 11-08-10 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-08-10, 02:02 PM
jaseman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I'm surprised that when considering luxury, BRITISH cars are not the first to be thought about.

Jaguar
Land Rover
Bentley
Rolls Royce
Aston Martin
Lotus

If we're talking about luxury and luxury alone, which include an excess of grandeur, opulence, and accommodation; British cars far surpass German and Japanese makes.
Unfortunately, I think you need to throw most of those out the window, in terms of the original question posed.

Lotus doesn't really qualify as a luxury brand. They primarily make hard-core sports cars aimed at enthusiasts. Try taking an extended road trip in one, in comfort, with kids and luggage.

Aston's are quite luxurious. But across the whole line-up, are primarily GT cars, verging on exotic/supercar status and out of reach of the average luxury car buyer.

Bentley and Rolls Royce, while defining luxury and opulence, like Aston, again, are just too far out of reach for the average luxo shopper.

So that really only leaves Jaguar and Range Rover. And of those two, only Jag offers a full line-up of sedans that fit into the price-range of the typical American luxury car buyer.

For the original question? It really comes down to what a buyer wants in a luxo-car. For some, luxury is all about a plush, quiet ride, while tooling down the road, with no care for how the car corners when pushed hard, or how fast it can lap the 'Ring. I think that this is where the majority of Americans who buy luxury brands lie. But others are more than willing to sacrifice some of the amenities for performance bragging rights. This is generally the "enthusiast" crowd.

For me, where the car is made makes no real difference. German, Japanese, British, or even American luxury cars all need to stand on their own merits, in their class, against their competition.

I'm an enthusiast. So generally, for example, I'll take a 3-series over an IS. But the IS over the C-class. Sure, my buddy's new C300 is much nicer and more refined a car than my IS-300, but is nowhere near as rewarding to drive on a twisty back road. At track days, the MB and Lexus don't compare to the 3-Series for pure driving bliss, but if I was going to spend a week driving to Florida and back, give me the Mercedes.

So it all just comes down to what you want the car to do for you....
Old 11-08-10, 07:27 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mercedes was the gold standard. What always impresses me is how the S class and the E class both drive smaller than they are. They're relatively nimble for their size and have a small turn radius. Also the highspeed freeway handling is phenomenal but I feel the suspension is too soft for me

BMWs are great in the twisties but have become too heavy and too gadgety for their own good. Look at the evolution of the M3 over time. The company also seems unresponsive to buyers over things like HPFP, bad water pumps, runflats.

Lexus excels in reliability and resale (hand in hand) b/c they are designed to last while the germans are designed to last for two ownership periods at most. Ever wonder why the resale plummets for a German car out of warranty? B/c the electronics, transmissions and suspension bits start to fall apart

Where a car is put together does matter. Not a brand thing but the actual reliability of that model (think early MLs and BMW X5s). If I'm paying a German price, I want German precision in the actual build of the unit. Same goes for Lexus
Old 11-08-10, 07:28 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

My personal preference is in the following order:

1. Lexus
2. BMW
3. Audi
4. Porsche
5. Mercedes-Benz
6. Infiniti

And I don't like Volvo, Saab, Acura, Jaguar, Cadillac, and Lincoln.

Then my favorite vehicles in each category are:

Luxury sedan: Lexus LS, Mercedes-Benz E-class sedan
Sports sedan: BMW 3-series sedan, Infiniti G sedan, Lexus IS sedan
Sports coupe: Audi RS5/S5/A5 coupe, BMW 3-series coupe
Luxury SUV: BMW X6
Crossover: Audi Q5, Lexus RX
Sports car: Porsche 911-series
Roadster: Porsche Boxster

I like Porsche's and BMW's and Audi's sportiness. I like Lexus' and Benz's luxury. I like Infiniti's improvement and I believe it would eventually catch up with those major players.
Old 11-08-10, 07:41 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Boi
Exactly, and also Mercedes-Benz
he he

the first thing a politician buys with his corrupt income is a Mercedes Benz
Old 11-08-10, 10:46 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
My personal preference is in the following order:

1. Lexus
2. BMW
3. Audi
4. Porsche
5. Mercedes-Benz
6. Infiniti

And I don't like Volvo, Saab, Acura, Jaguar, Cadillac, and Lincoln.

Then my favorite vehicles in each category are:

Luxury sedan: Lexus LS, Mercedes-Benz E-class sedan
Sports sedan: BMW 3-series sedan, Infiniti G sedan, Lexus IS sedan
Sports coupe: Audi RS5/S5/A5 coupe, BMW 3-series coupe
Luxury SUV: BMW X6
Crossover: Audi Q5, Lexus RX
Sports car: Porsche 911-series
Roadster: Porsche Boxster

I like Porsche's and BMW's and Audi's sportiness. I like Lexus' and Benz's luxury. I like Infiniti's improvement and I believe it would eventually catch up with those major players.
Thank you for your response.

You're the first person to respond the question I asked in the original post, and for that, I commend you.