Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > Car Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Supra and MR2 in development for 2013 Both as Hybrids

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-10, 05:43 PM   #1
venom21
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ab
Posts: 546
Default Supra and MR2 in development for 2013 Both as Hybrids

Quote:
Toyota is set to lead a raft of Japanese hybrid sports cars with a successor to the MR2 and a reborn Supra. Both are due within the next four years.

Scheduled for late 2013, the MR2 replacement will have a hybrid powertrain based on a 1.5-litre petrol engine. It is the pet project of Hiromu Naruse, Toyota’s chief test driver, who runs the GRMN offshoot (Gazoo Racing — Meister of Nürburgring).


The model was originally going to use a V6 hybrid powertrain, but the success of Honda’s CR-Z in Japan is said to have prompted a rethink.

The Supra successor — previewed by the FT-HS (Future Toyota Hybrid Sport) at the 2007 Detroit show — was said to have been canned. But strengthening hybrid sales have earned the model a second chance, so a new Supra — powered, like the FT-HS, by a V6 hybrid powertrain — is back on track.

The model’s development is now running almost in parallel with that of the FT-86. That car, a joint project with Subaru, has been delayed until at least 2013.

Toyota’s hybrid sports models will be joining an increasingly crowded market. Honda is planning its own high-performance hybrid sports car, and Nissan and Mitsubishi are planning to go a step further with all-electric sports cars.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/250636/

Probably BS, but interesting nonetheless. If this MR2 stuff is true, do you think Toyota would dedicate it to the Meister?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
__________________
2006 Lexus RX400h
2010 Volvo XC60
venom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 05:49 PM   #2
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
(Cj)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: somewhere out there
Posts: 1,228
Default

Yawn...

Hybrids are so 2005...

Launching a "new" hybrid in 2013? LOL!
(Cj) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 06:14 PM   #3
G Star
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (2)
 
G Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: California
Posts: 6,018
Send a message via AIM to G Star
Default

Notice how anything that comes from Toyota and has two doors is automatically claimed to be a Supra. You guys would be surprised at how many out there think that the LFA is the new Supra.

Let's get over this obsession...
__________________
06 GS
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1174/2013lexusgsfrontteaser.jpg
G Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 06:18 PM   #4
MR_F1
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
MR_F1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 3,371
Default

ultra capacitors, or don't bother. Also, make sure that the MR2 has enough power this time plz. Hybrid or not.
__________________
http://i38.tinypic.com/25stxxg.jpg
MR_F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 06:22 PM   #5
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,474
Default

... fight with GT-R? ... no?
__________________
Best Female Driver ///MFest IV

Klaus ///E46 M3 6MT

The Tank: '03 FFRR
Luxury Boat: '99 STS
There are no synonyms
Faymester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 07:22 PM   #6
Hoovey2411
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (16)
 
Hoovey2411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 29,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faymester View Post
... fight with GT-R? ... no?
That's what I've been saying about a future Supra. Put a new Supra in the GT-R price bracket. Throw in some tech from the LFA, maybe a tweaked 5.0L V8, on top of a light weight chassis, and Godzilla would be history
__________________
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic95774_1.gif
|Version 3.5 |TLN #918|
GIANTS|NINERS|SHARKS|WARRIORS
Hoovey2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 07:31 PM   #7
JessePS
Moderator
Trader Score: (0)
 
JessePS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Quebec / Hawaii
Posts: 7,737
yishai_ettebe jesteraver
Default

If its ultra light weight batteries and structure sure why not. It better weigh 1800 pounds.
JessePS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 07:32 PM   #8
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NV, TX
Posts: 4,163
Default

A mid-engined, hybrid AWD MR2 successor would be very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411 View Post
That's what I've been saying about a future Supra. Put a new Supra in the GT-R price bracket. Throw in some tech from the LFA, maybe a tweaked 5.0L V8, on top of a light weight chassis, and Godzilla would be history
Just want to point out that the GTR doesn't sell at its price point. Even at $40,000, the Supra didn't sell well. What makes you think a $70,000 Toyota will?
gengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 07:34 PM   #9
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
(Cj)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: somewhere out there
Posts: 1,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411 View Post
That's what I've been saying about a future Supra. Put a new Supra in the GT-R price bracket. Throw in some tech from the LFA, maybe a tweaked 5.0L V8, on top of a light weight chassis, and Godzilla would be history
No because then that would make the LFA a joke. The LFA is as fast as the GTR so a Toyota that cost 1/6th the price of the LFA but just as fast would be bad.
(Cj) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 07:51 PM   #10
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
I8ABMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Somewhere far far away
Posts: 19,143
Default

It would be cool , but I will believe it when I see it
__________________

2010 LEXUS ISF / F Sport rear Sway Bar / Michelin PSS

The ISF......The perfect car for an enthusiast. It can be driven to the track, run hard all day , and then transport me hundreds of miles to home in luxury and comfort to pick up the wife for dinner and a movie....
I8ABMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 08:26 PM   #11
Hoovey2411
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (16)
 
Hoovey2411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 29,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
Just want to point out that the GTR doesn't sell at its price point. Even at $40,000, the Supra didn't sell well. What makes you think a $70,000 Toyota will?
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cj) View Post
No because then that would make the LFA a joke. The LFA is as fast as the GTR so a Toyota that cost 1/6th the price of the LFA but just as fast would be bad.
That's not the way I see it. The purpose of the Halo car LFA was to prove that Toyota has the technology and engineering to compete with the world's best. Cost aside, that car is a Statement. Eventually trickling down new Idea's, tech etc. to lesser models. Not to mention the LFA is a limited run, much like the Enzo, new less costly Ferrari's are just as fast if not faster. So the way I see it, a Supra competing head to head with the GT-R makes sense. Perhaps even stir some life into Toyota which until recently lost it's "sport" mojo
__________________
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic95774_1.gif
|Version 3.5 |TLN #918|
GIANTS|NINERS|SHARKS|WARRIORS
Hoovey2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 09:38 PM   #12
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NV, TX
Posts: 4,163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cj) View Post
No because then that would make the LFA a joke. The LFA is as fast as the GTR so a Toyota that cost 1/6th the price of the LFA but just as fast would be bad.
The LFA doesn't compete with the GTR either. It doesn't need to. Neither does Ferrari or Lamborghini. Porsche IMO made a mistake and showed its colors a bit by lowering itself so much to Nissan with the Turbo.

I don't think a GTR competitor does Toyota any good, but that doesn't mean one couldn't coexist with the LFA. I wouldn't mind seeing one, since I can pretty much guarantee it'll be a far better drive than the GTR is.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411 View Post
That's not the way I see it. The purpose of the Halo car LFA was to prove that Toyota has the technology and engineering to compete with the world's best. Cost aside, that car is a Statement. Eventually trickling down new Idea's, tech etc. to lesser models. Not to mention the LFA is a limited run, much like the Enzo, new less costly Ferrari's are just as fast if not faster. So the way I see it, a Supra competing head to head with the GT-R makes sense. Perhaps even stir some life into Toyota which until recently lost it's "sport" mojo
Sure, but does Toyota need a $70,000 halo car that they can't sell? I think the idea of the FT-86, albeit its annoying delays, is a much better plan.

Last edited by gengar; 06-23-10 at 09:41 PM..
gengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 10:05 PM   #13
TF109B
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,031
Default

Not like they can't make a lexus model of the new 'supra' as the 'SC' which they have planned, make it perform well, price it around 65-70K and that's your GTR fighter. The other car will be more of a mustang gt, corvette fighter. The FT86 a lower model, genesis fighter, the new MRS a miate fighter. Toyota with a sports car to fight all other sports car, then a luxury cruiser/ sports car to fight with the upper tier sports cars like the SL. IS coupe coming to fight against G37 coupe, a possible F version also? Looks like Toyota has big plans. They owe it to Naruse to release these cars!!
TF109B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 10:06 PM   #14
Hoovey2411
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (16)
 
Hoovey2411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 29,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
Sure, but does Toyota need a $70,000 halo car that they can't sell? I think the idea of the FT-86, albeit its annoying delays, is a much better plan.
Why do you say that? Your assuming that another Supra will fail? With the world focused on green, downsizing, and economy there is certainly a lack of "fun to drive" cars out there. I'm not sure why your so opposed to the idea, what's it going to hurt by Toyota even considering a high-performance revision of the Supra. Sounds like a win to customers in the market for a car of that caliber, enthusiasts, and the automotive world. The FT-86 is a great car too, a real Celica successor, but since the FT-86 and MR2 are not as hardcore as the Supra moniker they'll be priced below 40K window. This leaves room for the Supra should it be reworked and a full line-up of sports cars . Let me dream
__________________
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic95774_1.gif
|Version 3.5 |TLN #918|
GIANTS|NINERS|SHARKS|WARRIORS
Hoovey2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 10:10 PM   #15
Hoovey2411
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (16)
 
Hoovey2411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 29,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF109B View Post
Not like they can't make a lexus model of the new 'supra' as the 'SC' which they have planned, make it perform well, price it around 65-70K and that's your GTR fighter. The other car will be more of a mustang gt, corvette fighter. The FT86 a lower model, genesis fighter, the new MRS a miate fighter. Toyota with a sports car to fight all other sports car, then a luxury cruiser/ sports car to fight with the upper tier sports cars like the SL. IS coupe coming to fight against G37 coupe, a possible F version also? Looks like Toyota has big plans. They owe it to Naruse to release these cars!!
Agreed!!
__________________
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic95774_1.gif
|Version 3.5 |TLN #918|
GIANTS|NINERS|SHARKS|WARRIORS
Hoovey2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 10:10 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2013, akio, car, cost, driver, fast, hybrid, hybrids, lexus, mr2, pricing, sc, supra, toyoda, toyota

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:13 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info