Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan CVT Warranty Extension on all models 2003-2010

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-09, 01:06 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan CVT Warranty Extension on all models 2003-2010

http://www.nissanassist.com/

Nissan CVT Warranty Extension
Nissan has extended the Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty for the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) to 10 years/120,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for CVT transmission repairs, replacement, and related towing on all 2003-2010 model year Nissan vehicles equipped with the CVT. The remainder of the powertrain warranty coverage for components other than the CVT transmission remains unchanged. All other warranty terms, limitations and conditions otherwise apply.
Please note that this is not a safety recall, and there are no safety issues relating to your Continuously Variable Transmission.
For more information on the CVT warranty extension please read the information under "CVT Program Details."
Old 11-09-09, 04:59 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KrazyLexus
http://www.nissanassist.com/

Nissan CVT Warranty Extension
Nissan has extended the Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty for the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) to 10 years/120,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for CVT transmission repairs, replacement, and related towing on all 2003-2010 model year Nissan vehicles equipped with the CVT. The remainder of the powertrain warranty coverage for components other than the CVT transmission remains unchanged. All other warranty terms, limitations and conditions otherwise apply.
Please note that this is not a safety recall, and there are no safety issues relating to your Continuously Variable Transmission.
For more information on the CVT warranty extension please read the information under "CVT Program Details."
I like this and thus IMHO, this is a positive move for them.

That and aside more promotion of their CVT gearbox, this could mean more trust and faith put into the JATCO CVT and thus helps in improving its reputation with people.

Hopefully, with continued support and extra funds for R&D (haha it would be sick if the upcoming upgrades for the JATCO CVT allow it to be mated to a V8 ), the JATCO CVT gets better and better every time
Old 11-09-09, 05:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

When they had issues with the brakes on the G35's in 2003 and 2004 they replaced the brakes for free up to 36k. we were screwed after that but at least they stood by it for a while
Old 11-09-09, 08:53 PM
LexFather

Interesting and good news for owners. I don't mind the CVT in Nissans I've driven.

Old 11-09-09, 11:21 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

was there anything wrong with the CVT to cause them to extend the warranty?
Old 11-10-09, 05:25 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

I know a few people who have had their CVT go out on them already. Ours in our first 09 Murano wasn't switching gears very quick (when going from R to D) and it would clunk. The newer one, seems to not have that issue. So these CVTs have had us worried.
Old 11-10-09, 05:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Does nissan still use that belt and pulley type CVT or have they advance to Toyota's planetary gear type?
Old 11-10-09, 07:00 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

hummm, wish they'd do that for the 2003-2008 350z 6 spd tranny....son's car has had the tranny replaced once under warranty and its making noise again (grinding into 3rd and idling in neutral).

Last edited by bagwell; 11-10-09 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-10-09, 07:57 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

The Z and G cars always make the rattling noise at idle. That is normal for those cars. But the Syncro issues with grinding isn't.
Old 11-10-09, 08:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I wonder if this will ultimately affect the new Subaru Legacy-Outback CVT's. Many of the Subaru CVT parts come from the same supplier as in the Nissan units.

Even if they have some potential durability problems, though, the Nissan and Subaru CVT's are probably the best I've driven so far.
Old 11-10-09, 08:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
hummm, wish they'd do that for the 2003-2008 350z 6 spd tranny....son's car has had the tranny replaced once under warranty and its making noise again (grinding into 3rd and idling in neutral).
Sounds like maybe a synchronizer problem. How hard is your son on the car? Young men with sports cars often make for an aggressive combination......and classic power-shifting, without today's built-in RPM-matching capability, can tear up the synchonizers in a hurry.
Old 11-10-09, 09:17 AM
LexFather

Well no CVT issues with the G/Fs Altima here.....I've driven a few Nissans with it...never any mechanical failures.

Now compared to the CVT in my 450h, yeah its louder, more course, etc but my exceptions are for it not to be as good.

Again I'm a fan of it.

Old 11-10-09, 09:35 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Again I'm a fan of it.
I agree with you there.

Plus, with emission standards becoming stricter locally and internationally, CVTs will enjoy advantage over conventional auto gearboxes. This due to infinite gear ratios and the torque availability is spread out better hence giving better Fuel economy and lower vehicle emissions.

@mmarshall

No gearbox/transmission is perfect (yet) as, like any automobile component, it is made by human beings which are not perfect and absolute. However, I am with you that JATCO CVT gearboxes are one of the best (if not the best) CVT tranny unit in existence today. I mean, the Honda 7-speed CVT multimatic is a neat and superb gearbox.

HOWEVER, atm, it cannot withstand the torque output of a 6-cylinder engine (which has been done by JATCO CVT like in the Murano and with AWD to boot).

IMHO, if Subaru were to ask advice from me, I'd say to them to DITCH the 5-speed Auto gearbox from Prodrive from their ENTIRE lineup and replace it instead with the JATCO CVT - 6 speed.

Hehe

P.S.
More CVT + 4WD/AWD vehicles FTW!!!!

Old 11-10-09, 09:43 AM
Rob Daddy
Lead Lap

In the work that i do, I see at least 10-15 Muranos & Maximas in the model yr range a week with failed transmissions. Nissan has no recommendation for any type of fuid change on it. The dealer however does. A transmission for these vehicles run around $7000 for a new one & anywhere from $2200 to $4000 for a used or rebuilt one not including labor.

This is a good move
Old 11-10-09, 10:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Wasn’t there a lot of problems with Nissan's earlier CVT, I thought they have work out most of the problems in recent years. Maybe they need this extended warranty on their transmission to gain public trust as they use more and more CVT in their lineup.

Quick Reply: Nissan CVT Warranty Extension on all models 2003-2010