Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-11, 11:21 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well that is b/c a G35 is a Skyline and a RSX is an Integra. The Scion isn't a rebadge, it looks to be a totally different car inside and out.
Wait what?

Originally Posted by spwolf
it usually follows supra :-)
And a Porsche Cayman
Old 06-15-11, 04:25 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by motohide
Haha, then again, I thought of the same thing when I saw concepts of Paseo, thinking "That will surely not become an actual product!?!?!" And a year later I was baffled to see it in dealers. LOL
No kidding. The Paseo and Paseo convertiable were a complete joke. so much of a joke, they had 2 generations of it.

Originally Posted by TF109B
Toyota trademarked the name "Supra" till 2013 according to MotorTrend, so never say never!
Manufacturers are known to trademark names so that another manufacturer cannot swoop up the name. Motortrend's guess is as good as anyone elses. Gotta take their prediction with a grain of salt.
Old 06-15-11, 06:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Wait what?

And a Porsche Cayman
A rebadge is the same car with different badges. A Nissan Skyline/G37 are identical outside of badge changes. Platform sharing is what is happening here as these cars are getting 3 different bodies and interiors as well as suspension changes between models. Yes they clearly share but they are not rebadges.

Old 06-15-11, 07:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

A rebadge is the same car with different badges. A Nissan Skyline/G37 are identical outside of badge changes. Platform sharing is what is happening here as these cars are getting 3 different bodies and interiors as well as suspension changes between models. Yes they clearly share but they are not rebadges.
i am pretty sure they will be re-badges :-).

Nothing wrong with that, this is sports car and Scion is Toyota anyway. You will see some minor differences, but they will be minor.
Old 06-16-11, 06:18 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
i am pretty sure they will be re-badges :-).

Nothing wrong with that, this is sports car and Scion is Toyota anyway. You will see some minor differences, but they will be minor.
I agree, I think the Toyota and Scion will be rebadges but the Subaru will have styling differences (with obvious similarities).

Scion will be NA only (since that brand only exists here). Subaru will be worldwide markets and Toyota will be rest of the world (everything but NA).

So there will be 3 different versions but only two will be sold in any given market.
Old 06-16-11, 07:04 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

So would you call that a rebadge or a Subaru with styling differences and obvious similarities?
Old 06-16-11, 07:34 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by dj.ctwatt
So would you call that a rebadge or a Subaru with styling differences and obvious similarities?
Sure I'll take your baiting comment.

That is a rebadge.

What I was saying was that "I think" the Subaru will have styling differences and not just different bumpers/headlights/badges.

I think the Subaru will modify some body lines (wheel arches, door lines) but it's still pretty much a rebadge.

I think you're just taking my comment out of context.

Last edited by Koma; 06-16-11 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-16-11, 07:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

i doubt it.
Old 06-16-11, 09:42 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Sorry, I suck at the internet. Sometimes I'm rude on purpose, and sometimes it's really not intentional. I tend to be one of those "funny-jerks" in real life, where it's mostly just a teasing and non-insulting tone. But on the net, the funny is lost and I just end up sounding like an actual jerk. What I should have said, was that just because it is a Subaru, it does not necessarily mean that it will be all that different from the Toyota version. They've done blatant rebadges before, and they could do it again. But it's all just speculation.
Old 06-16-11, 09:46 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

As an unrelated point of reference, this a reminder that any and all rebadges are possible. Yes, it's a real picture. Yes, it's RHD and JDM. No, it's not photoshopped. If you don't believe me, look it up. Toyota imported, rebadged, and SOLD the Chevrolet Cavalier as a Toyota badged product.

Last edited by dj.ctwatt; 06-16-11 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-16-11, 11:14 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

As an unrelated point of reference, this a reminder that any and all rebadges are possible. Yes, it's a real picture. Yes, it's RHD and JDM. No, it's not photoshopped. If you don't believe me, look it up. Toyota imported, rebadged, and SOLD the Chevrolet Cavalier as a Toyota badged product.
...and it went down in history as the most unreliable product ever sold under the Toyota nameplate.

TMC really got the stinky end of the stick with this deal, while GM got the Nova/Prizm (a rebadged Corolla), which go figure was one of their most reliable cars since Toyota built it for them for almost 20 years.

Heh.

They've been doing it ever since, most recently as the Pontiac Vibe which is really a Matrix. Pontiac is now dead so that's that.

GM pulled out of the venture and the plant that made them (NUMMI) was closed. Tesla and Toyota are using it now I believe.

Last edited by CleanSC; 06-16-11 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-16-11, 01:16 PM
Koma

Sorry, I suck at the internet. Sometimes I'm rude on purpose, and sometimes it's really not intentional. I tend to be one of those "funny-jerks" in real life, where it's mostly just a teasing and non-insulting tone. But on the net, the funny is lost and I just end up sounding like an actual jerk. What I should have said, was that just because it is a Subaru, it does not necessarily mean that it will be all that different from the Toyota version. They've done blatant rebadges before, and they could do it again. But it's all just speculation.
No worries. It's just the internet afterall.

I'm hoping that Subaru styles it differently because if the Toyota/Scion design isn't attractive it would give buyers another option. From the spyshots the design looks to be leaning a lot towards the FT-86II concept. My favorite was the FR-S design but I would be willing to have accepted the G's concept (turbo and all!).

However like spwolf says, that chance of different styling is slim. It's already a low volume car with a supposed low entry price point, the more variants the more expensive (less profit or higher price tag).
Old 06-16-11, 02:07 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

No sick, These cars are gonna be pretty much a rebadge, at least between the Scion/Toyota version. Doubt the Subaru is going to be much different other than bumpers/lights and MAYBE a couple interior touches.
Old 06-16-11, 04:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MR_F1
No sick, These cars are gonna be pretty much a rebadge, at least between the Scion/Toyota version. Doubt the Subaru is going to be much different other than bumpers/lights and MAYBE a couple interior touches.
and... there is nothing wrong with that... this is not high volume car.
Old 06-22-11, 08:00 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Debadging it is not the same. It will be marketed and known as a ****ty Scion and I don't want to be a part of that. I don't know why Scion exists. There is absolutely no need and this car is the Toyota Celica, not some crappy fr-s garbage by that Jack Hollis moron who's trying to save his flaling, irrelevant brand.

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!