Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda delays Acura introduction to Japan

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-07, 08:05 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Honda delays Acura introduction to Japan

Honda delays Acura introduction to Japan

Wednesday 18 July 2007

Honda has announced it will delay the introduction of its premium Acura brand to Japan by at least two years. The company was originally intending to bring Acura to its home market in 2008, but is changing its plans to a 2010-11 release. No specific reason was cited, except for the vague “[the decision was] based on a comprehensive evaluation of the current market environment.”

Both Lexus and Acura were started as premium brands in the US. Toyota introduced Lexus to the Japanese market in 2005 but sales initially sputtered until the LS was released late last year. Acura has no such super-premium model and will have to compete in the tough small-to-mid size market along with the German marques.

The fact that Acura had already begun a sales strategy and had started recruiting dealerships or the 2008 launch shows that the decision to delay the brand’s introduction wasn’t taken lightly.
via motorauthority
Old 07-18-07, 08:47 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Acura needs to be more performance oriented to hit this niche market.

Any vehicle available to the Japanese is already technologically advanced. Acura with its superior technology is not enough for the Japanese market; it needs more RWD/AWD vehicles for performance and handling.

The RL and NSX will do just fine in Japan. However, the rest of their line-up needs to stand out from the crowd if Acura will charge premium prices for them...
Old 07-18-07, 08:50 AM
LexFather

I predicted this when they first said they were coming to Japan. The amount of dedication and resources and vision for this move is tremendous. Funny but Lexus was struggling until the top of the line LS came and brought a "halo" to the entire company. Japan is very brand and image oriented (why BMW/Benz does well there). With their mid level car (RL/Honda Legend) struggling, they best avoid Japan.

Old 07-18-07, 09:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

agree with above. acura hasn't even secured enough market here imho, and their lineup hasn't grown enough. they are far from ready for japan market
Old 07-18-07, 09:45 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Truthfully I have a hard time figuring out exactly what Acura is, where they want to go, and what they stand for.

In a nutshell:

Lexus are more comfortable, better built, more technologically advanced overall, plus offer a more extensive range of vehicles.

Infinitis are sportier, harder driving, faster, and more performance oriented.

And it's not even like Acura could sit comfortably between those two "extremes" because to be honest picking apart the differences between GS and M, or IS and G is like splitting hairs. The GS is a little more relaxed and luxurious and the M is a little sportier and harder edge. Same for the IS and G...so where does that Leave the TL and TSX? Or the RL for that matter? MDX is a solid choice, but I really have a hard time looking at the RDX and thinking "premium brand". Especially once you sit in one.

Not that I dislike their cars but it seems to me that Acura's brand image...well...they don't really have one. What do they stand for? What sort of things should come to mind when I think about Acura? Why should I buy one?

The fact that I, as an automotive enthusiast have no real idea about what Acura's business philosophy is and what they stand for...is pretty sad. This is a time when differentiation and distinguishing yourself from your competitors is ever more important when consumers are more discerning than ever and again, I just don't feel like Acura stands for anything. Why should I, or anyone else buy one?

In conclusion, IMO, a more thorough long term plan and detailed goals need to be in place for the Acura brand before they go trying to penetrate new markets. To enter a market, especially one as brand conscious and materialistic as that of Japan, you need to be bold, stand for something, and make a statement. DISTINGUISH yourself. Maybe Acura has realized that they just aren't a distinguished brand in the premium market place and hopefully with some restructuring they can get a more direct "game plan".
Old 07-18-07, 11:18 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Typically comparisons are drawn like this;
Lexus = JDM Benz
Infiniti = JDM BMW

maybe Acura could play the awd JDM Audi niche?
Old 07-18-07, 01:00 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Typically comparisons are drawn like this;
Lexus = JDM Benz
Infiniti = JDM BMW

maybe Acura could play the awd JDM Audi niche?
Considering that Lexus and Infiniti now offer AWD across models, can Acura cling to just this?

Probably not.
Old 07-18-07, 01:50 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I tend to agree that Acura just isn't ready to handle the Japan market with it's current lineup and customer service.
Old 07-18-07, 02:21 PM
iobidder
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Any vehicle available to the Japanese is already technologically advanced. Acura with its superior technology is not enough for the Japanese market; it needs more RWD/AWD vehicles for performance and handling.
I love reading about Honda's on this forum. It is if there is no chance for survival for Honda here. But hey, this is Lexus forum so what more could I expect?

Especially in Japan, Honda cars are sought out all over Japan and all over the Japanese roads. They are always in demand there, and always will be in demand.

Comfort is basically a preference, I feel both say the Acura TSX and the IS250 are about the same in comfort with the TSX having the edge on the back seat comfort. Handling is on par with what is out. Not sure if you are comparing Honda's to TT RB20 powered Nissan, with super low suspension??

The only thing that confuses me with this whole thing is that they have the same cars with the Honda badge of cars we have with Acura badges, so why change? But the same went with Lexus and Toyota.
Old 07-18-07, 03:58 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's why when they forst lauched Lexus in Japan, the sales wasn't good since they can get a Toyota badged car for a good discount, and just swap every badges to Lexus.
Old 07-18-07, 04:17 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

They are not doing as good as they should down here. TL still is the most popular of their models sold in Mexico (they opened in late 2004), but Audi and BMW are still the kings here. Infiniti used to have two models, but have literally been run out of town.