Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen Phaeton may return to U.S.(considers diesel powerplant for U.S.)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-08, 05:23 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 198 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Volkswagen Phaeton may return to U.S.(considers diesel powerplant for U.S.)

Volkswagen Phaeton may return to U.S.

Posted on Thursday 31 January 2008

The Phaeton limo may have been a major flop for Volkswagen but officials are keen to the launch of a successor. The car was priced similarly to BMWs and Audis but it wore a humble VW badge, and there was nothing particularly exciting or innovative about the car either. It had mundane styling, poor dynamics and a much heavier chassis than its Audi A8 cousin, and in the U.S. it only managed 2,814 sales since its launch back in 2003.

No wonder the car was pulled from the market last year. It appears, however, the Phaeton may make a return to the world’s largest car market. Speaking at an Automotive News conference, VW’s U.S. Chief Stefan Jacoby admitted it was a mistake to end Phaeton sales in North America. Jacoby said he still thinks the VW brand is strong enough to include models in both the volume segment and at the luxury end, hinting that the Phaeton could in fact return.

VW won’t be making the same mistakes with the successor as it did with the current model. The new model will be based on Audi’s cost-saving modular platform design strategy and is tipped to be smaller than the current car – positioned somewhere between the A6 and A8 from Audi. The next Phaeton is expected to arrive on the market in 2010, a year after the new A8.
via motorauthority
Old 01-31-08, 05:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

I said a number of times that the W12 model, especially, was a good deal and a bargain. Yes, 90K may sound like a lot of money (and, of course, it is) but similiar V12 models from BMW and Mercedes...the 760/760i and S600......ran well over 100K. The public (at least the relatively small number of 12-cylinder buyers) missed out on a good deal with the last car. But VW marketing didn't help much, either....they simply pulled the car out too early when initial sales didn't meet their expectations.

On a slightly different note, Daihatsu did the same thing in the early 1990's. They briefly entered the American market with two models, the Charade and Rocky, stayed a couple of years, and then panicked and pulled right out again because they weren't up there with Ford and GM. One of my closest friends at the time was interested in a Rocky and almost bought one. On the day before I was going to go to the dealership with him to check out a new Rocky, inspect/test-drive it for him, make sure it was OK, and do the paperwork, Daihatsu announced its pull-out. So, of course, no new Rocky. That was a close one.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-31-08 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-31-08, 05:57 PM
LexFather

It was a very good car but redundant in this class with BMW, Lexus, Benz, Audi and even Jag and Masarati.

More then anything (again and again) this class is about PRESTIGE. VW has none. No one bought the W8 Passat and no one will buy this, again....

Old 01-31-08, 06:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It was a very good car but redundant in this class with BMW, Lexus, Benz, Audi and even Jag and Masarati.

More then anything (again and again) this class is about PRESTIGE. VW has none. No one bought the W8 Passat and no one will buy this, again....

If that is the case, then why are people buying top-line VWs like the Phaeton in Europe? The same luxury automakers you mention above also compete with VW in Europe like they do here....yet VW "prestige" seems to be much more a factor. Could it be that, like I said a number of times, Europeans simply recognize the Phaeton for the outstanding bargain it is?
Old 01-31-08, 06:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If that is the case, then why are people buying top-line VWs like the Phaeton in Europe? The same luxury automakers you mention above compete with VW in Europe like they do here....yet VW "prestige" seems to be much more a factor. Could it be that, like I said a number of times, Europeans simply recognize the car for the bargain it is?
Its not being snapped up in Europe. Its selling better than here but its not anywhere near a contender.

VW has more image in Europe as well than here. Yes its a bargain, its also REDUNDANT, especially since the SAME company makes the A8!

Again, its not a bad car but it has worse resale than a Q45

Old 01-31-08, 06:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Again, its not a bad car but it has worse resale than a Q45
True, but every company needs a top-line flagship of some sort....and Infiniti is probably going to bring back a new flagship to replace the Q45. In fact, we even had a thread and discussion on the best way to do that.

Of course, the question at VW is....how BIG and how EXPENSIVE a flagship do they need? And one answer may have been displayed at both the Detroit and Washington DC auto shows this year with the large, elongated Passat.
Old 01-31-08, 06:25 PM
LexFather

True, but every company needs a top-line flagship of some sort....and Infiniti is probably going to bring back a new flagship to replace the Q45. In fact, we even had a thread and discussion on the best way to do that.

Of course, the question at VW is....how BIG and how EXPENSIVE a flagship do they need? And one answer may have been displayed at both the Detroit and Washington DC auto shows this year with the large, elongated Passat.
You simply don't just sell a flagship over $60,000 and expect it to sell. People want the IMAGE and SUCCESS of the entire brand!!! People that buy these cars new, want to be associated with a company that speaks top of the line and one that "other" people know. These are STATUS symbols. A $100k VW is simply not seen as a status symbol, but more as a "logical" decision.

Infiniti, we are not even sure how many M45s they sell as they don't break up sales figures. History has shown their price ceiling with consumers is around 50k. Who wants to be associated with a discontinued product??

Look at Jaguar. The XJ is tremendous, light, decent power, classy looks and good features. Jaguar as a brand is lackluster until recently, thus it hurts flagship sales.

Today, Lexus broke the 100k barrier with success. It took them 18 long years with precise planning and incredible execution.

If Lexus tried to sell a 100k LS back in 2001, the market might not have been ready for it. Lexus has continued to build a BRAND people want and can be proud of. People want to be associated with the brand and buy the LS (which outsells most the competition at least 3 to one) b/c it is the ESSENCE of the brand.

You pull up in a LS/S/7 it speaks for you.

You pull up in a A8/XJ/Q45/Phaeton, you have to speak and explain it.

That is the sad, brutal truth not just here, but in Europe, Asia, Russia and around the world (flip flop the LS/A8 in Europe though).

Old 01-31-08, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That is the sad, brutal truth not just here, but in Europe, Asia, Russia and around the world (flip flop the LS/A8 in Europe though).
You're beginning to sound like me now, Mike.........complaining about stereotypes and image.
Old 01-31-08, 06:39 PM
LexFather

Talking

You're beginning to sound like me now, Mike.........complaining about stereotypes and image.
I've posted about it from day one and gotten blasted by guys who's brands are not in the crowd they "think" its in. My life is hard, teaching the uneducated

Old 01-31-08, 06:51 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

only a select few. a few people bought the V10 TDI which surprised me and that thing costs a bloody fortune.
Old 01-31-08, 06:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

But I still do not get it, why does VW need the Phaeton anyway? They already have the A8. You could say that every Phaeton sold is A8 unsold.
Old 01-31-08, 06:59 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 198 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
But I still do not get it, why does VW need the Phaeton anyway? They already have the A8. You could say that every Phaeton sold is A8 unsold.
new one will probably be between A6 & A8 ...
The new model will be based on Audi’s cost-saving modular platform design strategy and is tipped to be smaller than the current car – positioned somewhere between the A6 and A8 from Audi
Old 01-31-08, 07:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
Well Pierch is hell bent on moving VW upmarket. His vision:
VW battles Benz
Audi battles BMW

We have seen VW get more luxurious and Audi get sportier in recent year.

Also, the Phaeton shares its platform with the Bentley Continental, so that saves on cost.

Old 01-31-08, 09:20 PM
timer00
Pole Position

I saw a W8 today!!
Old 01-31-08, 10:29 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Today, Lexus broke the 100k barrier with success. It took them 18 long years with precise planning and incredible execution.
I see your point...
Don't forget, though that this "100K" is a moving target - $100K 18 years ago is guite a different wad of cash than today, if you take then vs. today purchasing power into account.

Quick Reply: Volkswagen Phaeton may return to U.S.(considers diesel powerplant for U.S.)