Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tein coilover reliability

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-07, 10:27 PM
Insedanity
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein coilover reliability

I tried posting this in the Northeast section since it would apply to those guys the most, but I didn't get any responses, so here goes here:

I'm looking at the Tein CS coilovers for my GS 430, but I'm thinking about a spring/shock set-up instead. Reason being, the K&W's I had on my last car took a lot of abuse during the winter. A dust cover cracked and broke, all the paint peeled off the springs, and they just looked like crap. K&W even has this section on their website where they subject the hardware to a salt spray test. On the other hand, the H&R/AGX spring/shock set-up I had on my car before that one held up fine through the winter.

I'm not sure if it was just that brand (K&W), or a bad product run, but I don't want to spend another $1,500 for that to happen again. So, any of you guys that have coilovers (specifically Tein CS) drive your car on a regular basis in the winter? If so, how are the coilovers holding up?
Old 05-04-07, 10:34 PM
Insedanity
Pole Position

K&W's after 2 spring seasons and 1 mild winter season...

I can't have this happen again.
Old 05-04-07, 11:50 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dude, those looks like crap. Sorry to see/hear about that. I know people running around on Teins for a couple of years and they look fine, one of them infact just recently took his off when he sold his car. Then again, I am in Ca., so by comparisons, our winters and mild...
Old 05-05-07, 12:03 AM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

That does look real bad. Sorry to hear. I have Tein CS v2 right now and maybe about 5-6k on them. It does not see snow but my roommate actually has Tein Flex on his Subaru and he drives his car pretty hard and the shocks didn't start leaking until about 50k.
Old 05-05-07, 12:42 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

teins are awesome. reliable as aftermarket coilovers get....

but since you live a cold weather i would suggest staying stock? or is that just insane?
Old 05-05-07, 12:56 PM
Insedanity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
teins are awesome. reliable as aftermarket coilovers get....

but since you live a cold weather i would suggest staying stock? or is that just insane?
Yes, that is insane

I really need to drop this thing. And I don't really live in cold weather (70 right now), it just that the winters are bad. (Pittsburgh for anyone who wonders).

Thanks for the responses so far. Now, any input from people who see a good amount of snow and salt?
Old 05-05-07, 02:53 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

I have an acura TL and the tiens available to us are the basics and the SS, but I've heard good stuff about them. There is an EDFC module available that allows you to adjust the stiffness.

HOWEVER, I'm probably going to go with an H&R Coilover as its brand new and I've heard awesome stuff about them. Better than stock ride + fantastic handling.
Old 05-05-07, 06:11 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Insedanity
K&W's after 2 spring seasons and 1 mild winter season...

I believe you have the older version of the KW V2. The body is supposed to be stainless steel and will not rust.

I have never done a comparison between KW springs and Tein springs, but Tein springs are prone to rust as well!!! Depending on what Tein version you buy, you may face the same issues again. Tein Basic/ Superstreet etc... have steel painted bodies and will probably rust even earlier.

The OLD CS are alu, so the body itself will not rust.