Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Why so many of you running spring instead of coilover?

Old 05-17-07, 08:38 PM
Akatsuki
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why so many of you running spring instead of coilover?

I was wondering why so many are running spring? i mean wouldnt coilover be a better choice.... i know tien have coilover for our car. do you guys know any other companies that make coilovers... be great if blistein would make a set for the IS but i can't find any besides tien
Old 05-17-07, 09:16 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Simple - for the same reason everyone here is driving an IS instead of a Ferrari... Cost. The cheapest coilovers are three times the price of springs, not to mention the fact that some people just want the drop and don't need the adjustability.
Old 05-17-07, 09:45 PM
gixxrr
Rookie

I agree with the Bilstein they make good stuff. That's why I'm holding out on coilovers until we get more options than the 3-4 currently available right now.
Old 05-17-07, 10:38 PM
07IS350
Pole Position

Holding out?!?! Tein is a very, VERY reputable company that makes a realy great coilover set for our IS. I dont think it will get that much better, (if any) than Tein. Although the price is just a tad on the high side but I can imagine that they are worth every penny. IMHO. Iam currently saving up money to bye me a set of Tein CS and an EDFC.
Old 05-17-07, 11:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Tein is a third tier shock manufacturer. Moton, Penske, and Ohlins are first tier. If they ever come up with a shock for the IS, it will be far better than anything Tein offers. Koni and Bilstein are good examples of second tier manufacturers. Tein makes a reasonable product for a good price, but they aren't in the same league as first tier manufacturers.
Old 05-18-07, 12:32 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

too many people bought into the marketing hype, tein is garbage as far as im concerned, i had teins on my scion and they sagged, we put two sets of teins on a rx8 and they sagged, then coilovers on the tc and the sleeve threaded area broke down and the part that screws down the spring basically slid half inch down when i hit a pot hole.

as far as springs AND shocks go.....

lobux is right, tein is a lower tier manufacture, their product is marketed to the masses. Same with eibach, but i have never had issues with eibach.......
Old 05-18-07, 01:45 AM
aira
Pole Position

I got springs instead of coilovers because I want to get airbags in the future.
Old 05-18-07, 10:06 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

if you want some good coilovers now, get yourself some JIC Magic ones
Old 05-18-07, 08:16 PM
07IS350
Pole Position

What about Tom's coilover set? What do you guys think about those. All I know is that they are expensive.
Old 05-18-07, 09:26 PM
Turkf26
Driver

Originally Posted by nabbun
if you want some good coilovers now, get yourself some JIC Magic ones
I totally agree with you that the JIC's are great coilovers but for most of us on here, the Tein CS Coilovers or even springs will do the job just fine. The Tein CS are reasonably priced, are a monotube design, and they do a fairly good job at retaining the stock ride quality.
Old 05-19-07, 10:24 AM
Akatsuki
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Simple - for the same reason everyone here is driving an IS instead of a Ferrari... Cost. The cheapest coilovers are three times the price of springs, not to mention the fact that some people just want the drop and don't need the adjustability.

i have to disagree with you on this one.. i mean.. sure it's cheaper to buy spring over coilover right now. however, when the stock shocks give up. it would cost as much as coilover to replace.. spring 200-300 dollars... shock 600-800... and labor cost.. at the end of the day it's not going to be cheaper than coilover.. do it right or do it twice i guess...
Old 05-19-07, 10:29 AM
Akatsuki
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gixxrr
I agree with the Bilstein they make good stuff. That's why I'm holding out on coilovers until we get more options than the 3-4 currently available right now.
yup!!! i'm waiting for them and Ohlins as well..
Old 05-19-07, 11:29 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

I hope they do come out.

If . . . they ever do
Old 05-19-07, 01:20 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sm0k3Diss
i have to disagree with you on this one.. i mean.. sure it's cheaper to buy spring over coilover right now. however, when the stock shocks give up. it would cost as much as coilover to replace.. spring 200-300 dollars... shock 600-800... and labor cost.. at the end of the day it's not going to be cheaper than coilover.. do it right or do it twice i guess...
Uh, I'm not sure where you buy shocks from, but I can get the entire sport suspension (shocks and springs) for less than $400. Replacement shocks do not cost 600-800 dollars. Oh, and the shocks in coilovers need to be rebuilt/replaced, too - and that's most definitely not free.

Javier
Old 05-19-07, 01:48 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sm0k3Diss
yup!!! i'm waiting for them and Ohlins as well..
If you can afford Ohlins I will worship the ground you walk on hahaha Arent those like $4g's a corner??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why so many of you running spring instead of coilover?