Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Can Maybach Be Mended ? Über-CLS may be next from Maybach ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-07, 05:15 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 198 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Can Maybach Be Mended ? Über-CLS may be next from Maybach ...

Can Maybach Be Mended ?

The plan was nothing if not ambitious: Dust off a long-dead nameplate with zero recognition, take on Rolls-Royce for the title of Best--or at least Most Expensive--Car in the World, and sell about 1000 examples a year to the superrich.

The Maybach arrived for the 2004 model year and very quickly proved just how ambitious that plan was. Particularly the last part. The brand sold a grand total of 146 cars in the United States last year and 152 the year before--about one-third of Rolls-Royce's U.S. sales. Uh-oh.

"Although it took a while to sink in, everyone involved knows now that it's not the brand that's at fault," claims one Maybach source. "It's the current product in general and the design in particular. The Exelero show car did more for us than all the tweaks to the 57/62 series combined. Recently, we presented our management a couple of promising concepts, among them a four-seat luxury coupe. But at the moment, most of our work is undercover. You just can't fire a bunch of people at Chrysler and simultaneously spend millions on a new Maybach."

One possible short-term boost could come from a Maybach edition of the Mercedes-Benz GL-class SUV. Don't laugh. Cheap to build and expensive to buy, the Maybach GL would be the brand's first real moneymaker. The plan is to give it a Maybach grille, new bumpers, a revised rear end, more brightwork, and wider wheels. The cabin would be upgraded with top-grade leather and wood and rear lounge seats like those in the 57/62. Some 1500 vehicles would be sold, but only outside of Europe.

Ultimately, however, everyone agrees that what Maybach really needs is a new mid-size model priced in the $225,000-to-$275,000 bracket. "The best bet is a stylish and powerful four-door, four-seat coupe--kind of a bigger CLS for the very rich," says our friend in product planning.

That project is based on the S-class. The design is brand-new, and it's said to be much more convincing than Maybach's first effort. Unusual elements include unique exterior lighting that emits a soft glow accentuating certain body contours, a variable-tint glass roof, and a gauge cluster whose display changes based on driving conditions. For propulsion, engineers favor the 5.5-liter turbo V-12, which can make up to 600 hp and more than 700 lb-ft of torque.

But the big question is whether management will pour still more cash into Maybach--or will this nameplate be allowed to slip back into the past ?
source : automobilemag
Old 05-01-07, 05:28 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought Maybach wanted too go into the SUV market? Use the MB GL and turn it into a much more upscale SUV.

Whatever Maybach does, it will be a hit thats for sure.
Old 05-01-07, 05:49 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

The Excelero is really old news.

From first release, they said it was a one-off car, I'd hate to see Mercedes actually start making those.

Kinda hurts you to find out that your exclusive dream car will be in the garages of quite a few folks.
Old 05-01-07, 10:14 PM
lighthalo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vraa
The Excelero is really old news.

From first release, they said it was a one-off car, I'd hate to see Mercedes actually start making those.
i think i remember hearing on a tv show about the maybach (i think it was on top gear) that they would make any one an excelero that is willing to pay the 8,000,000 price tag.. so i guess as of right now, its still a one off...
Old 05-01-07, 10:38 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Future models sounds cool. The Maybach truck has to be a huge improvement and must look incredibly different than the GL in order to move a lot of units IMO. One of the biggest beefs with Maybach seems to be that they look like an S-class but cost 200-300K more.
Old 05-31-07, 08:28 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

http://www.autospies.com/news/Rememb...ndering-15724/

Old 05-31-07, 08:43 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

why did they put a 3 point star on the hood of a Maybach rendering lol ?
Old 05-31-07, 08:48 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"Ultimately, however, everyone agrees that what Maybach really needs is a new mid-size model priced in the $225,000-to-$275,000 bracket. "The best bet is a stylish and powerful four-door, four-seat coupe--kind of a bigger CLS for the very rich," says our friend in product planning."
So, they want to make the Rapide?
Old 05-31-07, 09:11 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
why did they put a 3 point star on the hood of a Maybach rendering lol ?
That photoshopper didn't realize maybach doesn't have a star on the hood

That somehow looks better for the next S(550).
Old 05-31-07, 10:16 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
That somehow looks better for the next S(550)
Except they need more head room for the back seats of a S-Class
Old 05-31-07, 06:53 PM
rai
Lead Lap

They over estimated the demand for $400K cars.

I think Porsche and MB with the CGT and the SLR as well as the Maybach saw something that wasn't there.

I think they thought something like this: "No one is buying $400K cars b/c there are no cars to chose from, Just a few hundred units from RR, Bentley, Lambo (etc..). If there was more cars, there will be more buyers"

The Field of Dreams

The sweet spot is the $150K range with the R8, 911 turbo, Vantage (etc.) which I think can sell a good number.

I don't think the Maybach coupe will be the answer. Its assuming the same thing, more $400K cars will lead to more sales.

These cars cost more than most peoples houses.

Last edited by rai; 05-31-07 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-31-07, 07:36 PM
LexFather

No its a waste and let it die..