Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just brought my car from dealer and there's small damage in rear bumper!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-06, 04:32 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just brought my car from dealer and there's small damage in rear bumper!!

I jus brought my new Lexus home from the dealer and just noticed a small damage on it!!!
Small dent with scratch on my rear bumper!!!
Called my sales guy... He sounded like it's no big deal...
He said he will try to fix it for me. But, I don't like the fact that he used the word 'try'.
Isn't this something I should definately get it fixed by the dealer?
May be I should've checked harder but I guess I was too exited about getting a new car...
Anyway, it's a Lexus!! I can't believe them gave me something with dent!!??

Just wondering if anyone had a same problem and how did you get it fixed??

Last edited by hsk73; 09-04-06 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-04-06, 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Sorry, I don't mean to be hard on you....I know you feel bad, but did you look at the car throughly when it was delivered?

Anyhow, try SCRATCH-OUT....one of the best scratch removers I've seen. it will take out surface scratches and other paint imperfections as long as they are not very deep.
http://www.kitwax.com/html/kitProducts.htm
For deep scratches and actual body damage, though, you will need a body shop.
There are two companies , though, that specialize in small-dent removel.....DentWorks and DentWizard ( don't know if either of them operate in your area, but there may be others...check around ). They can fix small dents without actually putting the car in the shop....they come around in trucks and do the job. The dealership may have a contract with them to do small jobs like yours. If not, and / or if the dent and scratch were not there when you picked the car up, it will be on you or your insurance.
Old 09-04-06, 05:11 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

fight them tooth and nail for a full new bumper, or at the very least a respray of the full bumper. u just paid like 50k+ for a new car, get ur money's worth.
Old 09-05-06, 04:10 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

They'll take care of you. The last thing they want is a disgruntled customer filling out those endless surveys.

There was a little "ding" on the passenger door of my GS at delivery, and they actually buffed it out and touched it up before I left the dealership. I'm absolutely certain they will do the same to your satisfaction, and if you're not getting the care and attention you deserve from your salesman then elevate up the management chain.
Old 09-05-06, 07:07 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd try to get them to fix it, but before you return the car make a drawing of ALL the defects - if necessary, circle them with a china marker, so they have no excuse for missing one.

I once took a brand-new (company) car in to have a tiny scratch repaired by a big suburban dealership near the office, and got it back with that defect untouched, but two new dents in the rear doors - typical parking lot damage. I took it back the next day - and they "fixed" it . . . that's right, no touch-ups, but two new scratches and a bumper ding. Now I had a car with seven defects and I was afraid if I returned it again, I'd get it back with no paint at all.

Fortunately, it was a Buick - and I was already a familiar face at the Zone Office, thanks to owning an Opel, which enjoyed minimal dealer support as a "captive import". A certain amount of fuming to corporate was de rigeur for owners of the marque. The office inspected the car, marked all of the dents and dings, and sent me to another dealership for repairs. As it turned out, it was the little old downtown dealership that originally furnished the leased car. They did a good job, but my employer switched to Oldsmobiles for its future fleet cars . . . Two Oldsmobiles later, I ordered the company's next Buick, which the Chairman appropriated when I moved on to another job. Great car, lousy (GM) support.
Old 09-05-06, 10:05 AM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Make that $100K+ in my case!!
Since I bought two cars from them...

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
fight them tooth and nail for a full new bumper, or at the very least a respray of the full bumper. u just paid like 50k+ for a new car, get ur money's worth.
Old 09-05-06, 12:56 PM
Lextacy400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hsk73
I jus brought my new Lexus home from the dealer and just noticed a small damage on it!!!
Small dent with scratch on my rear bumper!!!
Called my sales guy... He sounded like it's no big deal...
He said he will try to fix it for me. But, I don't like the fact that he used the word 'try'.
Isn't this something I should definately get it fixed by the dealer?
May be I should've checked harder but I guess I was too exited about getting a new car...
Anyway, it's a Lexus!! I can't believe them gave me something with dent!!??

Just wondering if anyone had a same problem and how did you get it fixed??
Nothing to worry about. I had the same problem when I bought my GS back in 2000. I picked it up at night so I didnt notice anything. I drove it home and kept it in the garage. The next morning I noticed I had a scape/scratch on the rear bumper. I called the dealer and they told me to bring it in and that they would take care of it. In which they did. They also gave me the ES300 as a loaner. So don't worry about it. They DO NOT want to have you as an unsatisfied customer.
Old 09-05-06, 01:29 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Best thing to do is to have them swap out the bumper with another car. You'd have to repaint the bumper to fix a scratch and ding since it's made of plastic and you don't want a repainted bumper for later down the road when you try to sell the car, the buyer might notice and think you had accident. Bumper swaps are easy and it's factory matched. Dealer shouldn't have a problem with it.
Old 09-06-06, 08:19 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Not to trade horror stories, but...
When I picked up my GS430 way back when there was a ding over the right rear tire. We pointed it out and the dealer and he was like "we will take care of that on Monday, let's schedule it now".

On Monday I show up and the dent guy is there and he says "I can't fix that".

Basically I was screwed - either repaint the entire fender on my brand new car or live with it. **** me off and no, I did nothing about it (got busy with work or something). That probably bothers me even more.

BTW, check out the NuFinish scratch doctor - by far the best product out there for scratch removal - and I've tried them all.
Old 09-06-06, 11:19 AM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Well, my wife took my car to the Lexus dealer right now!
They are going to fix it for me!! Yah!! My nightmare's over!

But, I don't know how, yet?? I hope they are planning on replacing the whole bumper... I'll find out soon!!
And, they better give my wife a loaner!!
Old 09-08-06, 11:58 AM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Default Happy ending!!

Just got my car back yesterday!!
Damage fixed!! Bumper looks good as new!! I'm happy again!!

And, my wife got to drive loaner RX350 for a day!
She's glad that we didn't go with RX! She didn't like it at all....

Now, I need to get TSB installed on my GX!