Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

No more "Rock and Roll": Cadillac to drop Zeppelin song for new ad campaign

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-06, 01:20 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No more "Rock and Roll": Cadillac to drop Zeppelin song for new ad campaign

By JAMIE LAREAU | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
AutoWeek | Published 07/17/06, 8:33 am et

DETROIT -- General Motors is breaking from its "Break Through" Cadillac campaign and dropping Led Zeppelin's song "Rock and Roll" as its soundtrack.

The move is meant to attract younger affluent buyers from foreign luxury rivals, industry sources say.

Cadillac will unveil a new campaign in a series of print ads late this month, followed by TV spots to air in mid-August, a Cadillac spokesman confirms.

The new campaign will not have a theme song. It will be more "story oriented" to build the brand's image, say dealers who have seen the storyboards. A spokesman for Cadillac would not confirm details.

Cadillac introduced the "Break Through" campaign in TV commercials during the 2002 Super Bowl.

"I was lobbying to change it months ago," says Howard Drake, co-owner of Casa Automotive Group in Sherman Oaks, Calif. Drake sells Hummer, Saab and Cadillac vehicles. "It's been four or five years now."

But Jacques Moore, owner of Moore Cadillac in Richmond, Va., saw the storyboards and says: "The kindest way to describe it is getting back to mainstream. I'm not entirely for it."

Moore concedes that Cadillac's new ad agency, Boston-based Modernista, invented the popular "Monsters" spot for Hummer. "So these guys are really sharp and very hip," he says. "They might have a point."

Source: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1/TOC01ARCHIVE
Old 07-17-06, 04:09 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Overclocker
"The move is meant to attract younger affluent buyers from foreign luxury rivals, industry sources say."
So, they're going to market Cadillacs from Snoop Dogg to Carrie Underwood. Great...
Old 07-17-06, 04:14 PM
LexFather

I love what the brand is doing to turn itself around but IMO, it still have an older person's image to me. I just cannot see myself driving a Caddy.

And when its time for my last ride, it will be in a Lexus hearse.

Old 07-17-06, 05:48 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Bout time. That Zeppelin did nothing for me. I looked at those commercials and asked myself "why??" every time.

But I did like the silver STS commercial where it crashes the Opera Ball with the all black E-class and 5-series.
Old 07-17-06, 07:20 PM
CHIS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hated them.

"ooh yeah oooh ooh yeah" tells me "wow these are cars for idiots"
Old 07-18-06, 03:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well.....they could always try selling CARS instead of music.

If I want to hear rock, I'll put on the Kings of Rock themselves.....AC/DC.
Old 07-18-06, 03:55 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Companies that choose 60's/70's "iconic" music do it in an obvious (and largely failed, I'd say) bid to appeal to the baby boomer generation. The other irony is that Gens X and Y are generally turned OFF by these obvious overtures to what we see as the old fogie generation, so marketers end up alienating pretty much the entire potential market. Another example is American Express' new "Ameriprise" financial planners--what a marketing debacle!

Now that Caddy ad crashing the opera WAS a good ad. A little aggressive considering all of those competing vehicles are considered superior to the Caddy in most ways, but "a little aggressive" is probably what they need at this point.
Old 07-18-06, 12:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
Companies that choose 60's/70's "iconic" music do it in an obvious (and largely failed, I'd say) bid to appeal to the baby boomer generation.
We baby boomers, for the most part, don't even listen to that stuff OURSELVES anymore.

For example: Why listen to the Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, Mamas and Papas, etc..... sing about the California of 40 years ago when today's California is a FAR different place?

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-18-06 at 12:22 PM.