Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sold the GS

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-06, 09:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts
Default Sold the GS

A couple of weeks ago I sold my 2000 Lexus GS400. It had factory nav (which I loved), all the popular suspension mods, Stoptech big brakes, intake, exhaust, SAFCII, upgrades to 2001+ cosmetic items, and low mileage (61K). The car is quick, stops quick, sounds great, and handles really great. It was a load of fun for the 6+yrs I had it, but it was time to move on. Why?

These days I do little driving because I work from home. Most of the driving I do is cruising down a mostly empty smooth highway near my home into town, going maybe to Lowes or the supermarket, picking up stuff, and coming home. I don't need super performance for that! And while the performance of the GS and mods was remarkable, I guess I wanted something newer, and something other than a sports sedan. I didn't have to sell the car but I felt if I could find a buyer who liked the car as is, I'd sell it, and it happened. I was glad to sell it to someone who could enjoy it, instead of it sitting in my garage most of the time, and then not being what I wanted the little I did drive it.

Sports sedans try to do a lot, offering performance and comfort, sportiness, practical room, and luxury. After having driven genuinely sporty cars (e.g., Porsche) and having owned a genuinely practical vehicle (RX300), I guess I've grown tired of the compromise of the sports sedan and decided I either wanted something really fun (i.e., not as big and heavy as the GS), or something really practical/roomy and comfy.

I recently went on a scuba trip for example, and putting in and retrieving all that gear out of a trunk isn't so great - an SUV is a LOT easier.

As some know I checked out a VW GTI and was very impressed with both the fun factor (especially the amazing DSG transmission) as well as the usefulness of the hatch back.

But one thing I would no longer go without is navigation, and the VW really brings very few vehicles PERIOD over to the U.S. and the dealer couldn't locate one with nav so that was that. I considered it's more expensive cousin, the A3, but the nearest Audi dealer is 90 miles away so I gave up on that. That was another factor in the GS sale also, I moved a year ago and no longer have a Lexus dealer nearby. I know it's not critical but for major service I like to go to a dealer.

So what else? Well I was thinking SUVs instead (no fun, but very practical). I checked out the Honda Pilot - great interior except an awkward bulky dead pedal I HATED, and it's not very quiet (Honda has always focused on lowering engine sound than sound proofing so the pilot still transmits quite a bit of road noise into the cabin).

So why didn't I get a Lexus SUV? The RX just doesn't have enough front leg room for me. The GX and LX were more than I wanted to spend.

Why not used? I was selling my GS to get something newer for one thing, plus I like having a factory warranty, plus I like the newer gadgets and features that new vehicles bring. And hey, I like the new car smell.

My wife has a 2004 Ford F-150 truck, and it's been great, and she loves it although it's bigger and stiffer than what I'd want to drive. It also doesn't offer nav, and we don't need another truck!

But I wanted to look at the 2006 Ford Explorer because like the 04 F-150 when we got it, it is completely new for '06, with loads of improvements and new features and the reviews have been good.

So I went to the local HUGE Ford dealership, and test drove a V6 Explorer first, and found the throttle response and 5 speed auto kinda 'twitchy'. Then I tried the V8 Explorer which now has a 6 speed auto, and oh boy is it smooth. The 06 interior is MUCH nicer than before, the seats very comfy, the vehicle VERY quiet. They even claim to have made the air conditioning 30% quieter, and I believe it!

They didn't have one with nav there but I tried the new nav Ford's been bragging about in a Ford 500 instead (of course the sales rep had no clue how it worked). This nav was co-developed with Pioneer and is new for '06. It's pretty similar to a recent Lexus system including touch screen, high resolution, and it's *instant* in its computation of a route and every other function. Of course my 2000 GS nav was the same hard drive one launched in the '98 GS so it's not fair to directly compare, but it's what I was coming from and the new Ford/Pioneer system is better in every way than my old Lexus one. So this was positive! The sales guy tried to get my to buy an Expedition with nav, but the current Expedition still has Ford's old RELIC of a nav system, using a dozen CDs.

Anyway, I told the sales guy to tell me what I could get an Explorer "Limited" (nicest trim, all the typical luxo features) with navigation, V8, and RWD (I don't need 4x4 here in FL). Long story short, he found one, we haggled, I bought it and brought it home this week.

I know it's not an exciting vehicle for most of you guys but I'm very pleased with it. What I like:

- HUGE front legroom and rear legroom.
- Incredibly smooth and quiet - seriously as good as a GX470 in NVH.
- Lots of nice touches - lights on the bottom of the side mirrors that light when you unlock the doors (along with the interior light and the fog lights) to illuminate around and inside the car, for safety.
- Navigation system as mentioned is great - even has features Lexus' doesn't I think (it can SAY STREET NAMES for example)
- Cargo space is GREAT - reminds me of my old RX300, only more space because it has an optional 3rd row seat which I didn't get. But interestingly it seems no longer than the GS I sold!
- Number keypad on the B pillar to open the doors. If you've had this feature you know how useful it is. You can leave the keys in the car without worry. We love this feature on the F-150 truck we have too. Another great thing is if I'm outside and the garage door is closed and my wife's truck (or now the Explorer) is outside, we can open the vehicle and hit the garage opener.
- Built-in home-link 3 button openers like my GS had - works great
- Towing capacity of 7300lbs - we'll be getting a flatbed trailer soon - handy to take my new monster mower in for service, for example, or getting a bunch of lumber. The towing capacity makes it a breeze.
- Love the higher seating/driving position. Missed it from the RX we used to have.
- Love all the audio, cruise, AND CLIMATE CONTROL buttons on the STEERING WHEEL (hello Lexus?) which all light up at night too.
- Motorized pedals to adjust for shorter drivers (e.g., my wife) and memory settings
- And finally, I love the fact this vehicle was thousands LESS than an RX330.

The one I got is a color called 'dark stone', kinda metallic dark brown / grey. Here's a quick pic in the garage - not the best shot, but you'll get the idea.

Anyway, I'm not leaving CL despite having gone from 2 Lexus vehicles to 2 Fords in a few years!

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-11-06 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-28-06, 09:49 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on the new car! Hope you enjoy it as much as you did the GS.
Old 04-28-06, 10:15 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
A couple of weeks ago I sold my 2000 Lexus GS400. It had factory nav (which I loved), all the popular suspension mods, Stoptech big brakes, intake, exhaust, SAFCII, upgrades to 2001+ cosmetic items, and low mileage (61K). The car is quick, stops quick, sounds great, and handles really great. It was a load of fun for the 6+yrs I had it, but it was time to move on. Why?

These days I do little driving because I work from home. Most of the driving I do is cruising down a mostly empty smooth highway near my home into town, going maybe to Lowes or the supermarket, picking up stuff, and coming home. I don't need super performance for that! And while the performance of the GS and mods was remarkable, I guess I wanted something newer, and something other than a sports sedan. I didn't have to sell the car but I felt if I could find a buyer who liked the car as is, I'd sell it, and it happened. I was glad to sell it to someone who could enjoy it, instead of it sitting in my garage most of the time, and then not being what I wanted the little I did drive it.

Sports sedans try to do a lot, offering performance and comfort, sportiness, practical room, and luxury. After having driven genuinely sporty cars (e.g., Porsche) and having owned a genuinely practical vehicle (RX300), I guess I've grown tired of the compromise of the sports sedan and decided I either wanted something really fun (i.e., not as big and heavy as the GS), or something really practical/roomy and comfy.

I recently went on a scuba trip for example, and putting in and retrieving all that gear out of a trunk isn't so great - an SUV is a LOT easier.

As some know I checked out a VW GTI and was very impressed with both the fun factor (especially the amazing DSG transmission) as well as the usefulness of the hatch back.

But one thing I would no longer go without is navigation, and the VW really brings very few vehicles PERIOD over to the U.S. and the dealer couldn't locate one with nav so that was that. I considered it's more expensive cousin, the A3, but the nearest Audi dealer is 90 miles away so I gave up on that. That was another factor in the GS sale also, I moved a year ago and no longer have a Lexus dealer nearby. I know it's not critical but for major service I like to go to a dealer.

So what else? Well I was thinking SUVs instead (no fun, but very practical). I checked out the Honda Pilot - great interior except an awkward bulky dead pedal I HATED, and it's not very quiet (Honda has always focused on lowering engine sound than sound proofing so the pilot still transmits quite a bit of road noise into the cabin).

So why didn't I get a Lexus SUV? The RX just doesn't have enough front leg room for me. The GX and LX were more than I wanted to spend.

Why not used? I was selling my GS to get something newer for one thing, plus I like having a factory warranty, plus I like the newer gadgets and features that new vehicles bring. And hey, I like the new car smell.

My wife has a 2004 Ford F-150 truck, and it's been great, and she loves it although it's bigger and stiffer than what I'd want to drive. It also doesn't offer nav, and we don't need another truck!

But I wanted to look at the 2006 Ford Explorer because like the 04 F-150 when we got it, it is completely new for '06, with loads of improvements and new features and the reviews have been good.

So I went to the local HUGE Ford dealership, and test drove a V6 Explorer first, and found the throttle response and 5 speed auto kinda 'twitchy'. Then I tried the V8 Explorer which now has a 6 speed auto, and oh boy is it smooth. The 06 interior is MUCH nicer than before, the seats very comfy, the vehicle VERY quiet. They even claim to have made the air conditioning 30% quieter, and I believe it!

They didn't have one with nav there but I tried the new nav Ford's been bragging about in a Ford 500 instead (of course the sales rep had no clue how it worked). This nav was co-developed with Pioneer and is new for '06. It's pretty similar to a recent Lexus system including touch screen, high resolution, and it's *instant* in its computation of a route and every other function. Of course my 2000 GS nav was the same hard drive one launched in the '98 GS so it's not fair to directly compare, but it's what I was coming from and the new Ford/Pioneer system is better in every way than my old Lexus one. So this was positive! The sales guy tried to get my to buy an Expedition with nav, but the current Expedition still has Ford's old RELIC of a nav system, using a dozen CDs.

Anyway, I told the sales guy to tell me what I could get an Expedition "Limited" (nicest trim, all the typical luxo features) with navigation, V8, and RWD (I don't need 4x4 here in FL). Long story short, he found one, we haggled, I bought it and brought it home this week.

I know it's not an exciting vehicle for most of you guys but I'm very pleased with it. What I like:

- HUGE front legroom and rear legroom.
- Incredibly smooth and quiet - seriously as good as a GX470 in NVH.
- Lots of nice touches - lights on the bottom of the side mirrors that light when you unlock the doors (along with the interior light and the fog lights) to illuminate around and inside the car, for safety.
- Navigation system as mentioned is great - even has features Lexus' doesn't I think (it can SAY STREET NAMES for example)
- Cargo space is GREAT - reminds me of my old RX300, only more space because it has an optional 3rd row seat which I didn't get. But interestingly it seems no longer than the GS I sold!
- Number keypad on the B pillar to open the doors. If you've had this feature you know how useful it is. You can leave the keys in the car without worry. We love this feature on the F-150 truck we have too. Another great thing is if I'm outside and the garage door is closed and my wife's truck (or now the Explorer) is outside, we can open the vehicle and hit the garage opener.
- Built-in home-link 3 button openers like my GS had - works great
- Towing capacity of 7300lbs - we'll be getting a flatbed trailer soon - handy to take my new monster mower in for service, for example, or getting a bunch of lumber. The towing capacity makes it a breeze.
- Love the higher seating/driving position. Missed it from the RX we used to have.
- Love all the audio, cruise, AND CLIMATE CONTROL buttons on the STEERING WHEEL (hello Lexus?) which all light up at night too.
- Motorized pedals to adjust for shorter drivers (e.g., my wife) and memory settings
- And finally, I love the fact this vehicle was thousands LESS than an RX330.

The one I got is a color called 'dark stone', kinda metallic dark brown / grey. Here's a quick pic in the garage - not the best shot, but you'll get the idea.

Anyway, I'm not leaving CL despite having gone from 2 Lexus vehicles to 2 Fords in a few years!
I can't say that I agree with the decision considering you went from a reliable car to a brand that has been mediocre at best with its reliability. But then again, I didnt make that decision! I hope you enjoy it! Looks nice!
Old 04-28-06, 10:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stage3
I can't say that I agree with the decision considering you went from a reliable car to a brand that has been mediocre at best with its reliability. But then again, I didnt make that decision! I hope you enjoy it! Looks nice!
Thanks. All auto makers make at least SOME vehicles that serve their customers well. They ALL also make some lemons. And they all make everything in between. So aggregate ratings are useful, but limited. They're an indicator, but no guarantee of what experience anyone in particular will have. I've known people who bought a vehicle rated as terrible and they had no issues (or at least none that bothered them particularly) and I've known people who bought something supposedly bulletproof reliable and they had a terrible experience.

I'm of the opinion that just about all new vehicles made today are pretty darned reliable. Certainly any of them might have creaks, squeaks, mechanical defects, but few ever make them undriveable.

But with mine - hey we'll see.
Old 04-28-06, 11:08 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Congrats on your new purchase. The 06 Exp looks really nice. I think it's the best looking Exp to date. I've also noticed that your garage is SUPER clean!!!. Man,, I wish my garage was that clean.
Old 04-28-06, 11:32 PM
Static911

Very nice car and color Paul! Keep us posted on any modifications you do to the Expedition.
Old 04-28-06, 11:38 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Static911
Very nice car and color Paul! Keep us posted on any modifications you do to the Expedition.
No no no it's the Exploder...oops the Explorer.
Old 04-28-06, 11:39 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Getting what you want is the important thing.

Ford does have some quality issues with the SUV's because they stick the same running gear in every vehicle and the heavy SUV's tend to wear the drive trains and strain them pretty hard. That's the only real issue I know of.

I've been a die hard ford truck guy since I got my drivers license and my first ranger. Ten ford trucks later I still love them to death. I did however ignore the SUV warnings and bought not one, but 2 ford explorers. Both had tranny issues and that's the weakest point on any ford SUV. They have a million engines, but only 3 trannies and none of them handle the weight of the SUV well.

Long as you can keep a tranny in them, they'll do you fine
Old 04-29-06, 03:21 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

ya.. i was like expedition or explorer??? the story says expedition.. but the badge says explorer..... anyway, congrats on the new purchase.. all the OG's are gettting rid of their GS's... I'm lucky mine is still with my mom and dad.. they aint gettin rid of that anytime soon. I've upgraded to the LS.
Old 04-29-06, 06:54 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice buy

Did the roof rack come std or did you want it?

If you wanted it, whats your plans for it?
Old 04-29-06, 07:03 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul, don't be you dare leave us now that you don't drive a Lex anymore!!!!
Old 04-29-06, 07:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jpa2400
Nice buy
Did the roof rack come std or did you want it?
If you wanted it, whats your plans for it?
Thanks. Roof rails are standard. The Limited version I got has the 'bling' rails. And mine has the chrome step bars too.

As far as plans - you mean mods? None except have the dealer add the reverse sensing system that it didn't come with that I wanted.

I just wanna get in it, drive, and not think about it.
Old 04-29-06, 07:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by newr
Congrats on your new purchase. The 06 Exp looks really nice. I think it's the best looking Exp to date. I've also noticed that your garage is SUPER clean!!!. Man,, I wish my garage was that clean.
Haha - I moved a couple of things before taking the pic so it looked a bit tidier. As for being clean, we've only lived in the house just over a year and I hired a high schooler to apply 3 Rustoluem kits of epoxy to the garage floor so it would stay nicer.
Old 04-29-06, 07:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by babyGS3
ya.. i was like expedition or explorer??? the story says expedition.. but the badge says explorer..... anyway, congrats on the new purchase..
Thanks. The current Expedition is about to be replaced plus it's just too big for me. And I don't need and didn't want a 3rd row of seats.

all the OG's are gettting rid of their GS's... I'm lucky mine is still with my mom and dad.. they aint gettin rid of that anytime soon. I've upgraded to the LS.
Well if I could have gotten an LS and given my GS to my Mom and Dad maybe I'd have done the same, LOL. The proceeds from selling the GS made the Explorer purchase quite reasonable.
Old 04-29-06, 07:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Getting what you want is the important thing.

Ford does have some quality issues with the SUV's because they stick the same running gear in every vehicle and the heavy SUV's tend to wear the drive trains and strain them pretty hard. That's the only real issue I know of.

I've been a die hard ford truck guy since I got my drivers license and my first ranger. Ten ford trucks later I still love them to death. I did however ignore the SUV warnings and bought not one, but 2 ford explorers. Both had tranny issues and that's the weakest point on any ford SUV. They have a million engines, but only 3 trannies and none of them handle the weight of the SUV well.

Long as you can keep a tranny in them, they'll do you fine
Hey Brian, thanks for the info. *10* trucks? Man, it's incredible vehicles you go through! This is my 5th vehicle in my life and I'm older than you by a bunch (I think).

The tranny in this one is a 6 speed, maybe that will help it have less wear and tear, I dunno. I think a lot of peope kill trannies from towing.

Quick Reply: Sold the GS