Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

PC Magazine names most technologically advanced cars...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-06, 02:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default PC Magazine names most technologically advanced cars...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1952862,00.asp

Infiniti M45
The M45 is the most technologically advanced car you can get for under $100,000.
Honda Civic Hybrid
The best affordable car you can buy today is the Honda Civic Hybrid.
Toyota Prius
The coolest technology on the Prius is under the hood.
Mercedes-Benz S550
The S550 towers over every other car when it comes to technology—and price, too.
BMW 3 Series
The 3 Series is best at remembering that the driver, not microprocessors, should be in charge.
Acura RL
Only the Infiniti M provides more technology for about the same price as the RL.
Audi A6 4.2
The A6's cockpit controller leads the industry with its integrated MultiMedia Interface.
Cadillac STS
America's premier luxury sports sedan offers virtually every tech feature you might want.
Buick Terraza
Keep your kids happy with the Terraza's versatile back-seat entertainment system.
Acura TL
Navigation systems don't come any finer than the one in this affordable sports sedan.
I'm surprised that I didn't see any Lexus cars on there. I think that one 'advantage' PC Mag seems to think is having an i-Drive like ****. I concede that controlling multiple functions at one time is cool, but the learning curve and the need for a complex rotational mechanism cancel each other out in my opinion. I much prefer Lexus' simple touchscreen layout. And I think, for instance, that 3d NAVI screens are more distracting than helpful.

But congratulations to those involved. These awards do make Lexus' claim of 'most technologically advanced sedan on the planet' seem less powerful.

I do note, however, that some of the Autoblog commenters were mentioning the LS 600h L, although that car wasn't eligible in these awards.
Old 04-28-06, 03:17 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ummm...what about the infiniti M45 is advanced? Not saying that it's a bad car, but it's no more advanced than the 2nd generation GS, IMO. And the Terraza? STS? Aside from Magnaride there is nothing advanced about that car.
Old 04-28-06, 03:23 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Lexus hasn't really had anything that stands out too much. They have a lot of luxurious gadgets, but nothing too advance. (and no..a navi doesn't qualify it as advance )
Old 04-28-06, 04:32 PM
LexFather

There is no way in heaven, hell and anything in between the M45 is the most technologically advanced anything. I've seen refrigerators, sorry, toaster ovens with more tech. I think its actually a throwback, brute power and force.

NAV and rearview cameras are now not out the ordinary and not even MADE by the auto company those items are outsourced. What about the engine, some sort of double vanos or vvti? What about the 5 speed auto when others have 6, 7 and now 8 speeds?

There is no car more advanced than the GS 450h right now.

The S550 is not a 100k car? So then that should be their choice.

What in the hell?

Old 04-28-06, 04:35 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Note that PC mag weighed price heavily in its considerations. The S550 comes on top with technology, but its price tag weighs it down in the consideration. And I agree, that $100,000 price category seems a bit weird.

The M45 adds Lane-Departure and Backup Camera to the list of innovations, plus they liked the **** and display screen. Compared to the GS, I think the Lane-Departure system (which itself is rather gimmicky, although the New LS might have a better version) is the one major difference. The optional rear-seat DVD system can be another. But I think having your bluetooth info and other things on the screen is just unnecessary clutter.

But I like the RL's NavTraffic, IMO that should have put it on top.
Old 04-28-06, 04:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by enigma354
Note that PC mag weighed price heavily in its considerations. The S550 comes on top with technology, but its price tag weighs it down in the consideration. And I agree, that $100,000 price category seems a bit weird.

The M45 adds Lane-Departure and Backup Camera to the list of innovations, plus they liked the **** and display screen. Compared to the GS, I think the Lane-Departure system (which itself is rather gimmicky, although the New LS might have a better version) is the one major difference. The optional rear-seat DVD system can be another. But I think having your bluetooth info and other things on the screen is just unnecessary clutter.

But I like the RL's NavTraffic, IMO that should have put it on top.
I was being funny with the comments, but it makes my point.. outside lane depature, the M45 has less items than the GS or RL from a tech standpoint. A **** is not technology, that is the way INTO the technology.

I mean, the SH-AWD of the RL puts it over the M45 to me, from a technology standpoint. The GS 300 has VVTi and direct injection, that is very advanced.

Are they worried about the actual CAR or what the car companies OUTSOURCE?

Quite frankly if anything, I would rate the 3 even from a technology standpoint. GS430/M45/RL

Now the GS 450h, is just a whole different level of tecnology from Gen 5 NAV to the hybrid synergy drive.

Old 04-28-06, 05:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

and PC Mag people know .... about cars? :-).
Old 04-28-06, 05:46 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

these computer people know jack shi* about cars. if you go to CNET and read their reviews, they are ummm kinda funny and annoying.
Old 04-28-06, 06:13 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

which is why PC magazine should stick to....PCs
Old 04-28-06, 06:52 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I was being funny with the comments, but it makes my point.. outside lane depature, the M45 has less items than the GS or RL from a tech standpoint. A **** is not technology, that is the way INTO the technology.

I mean, the SH-AWD of the RL puts it over the M45 to me, from a technology standpoint. The GS 300 has VVTi and direct injection, that is very advanced.

Are they worried about the actual CAR or what the car companies OUTSOURCE?

Quite frankly if anything, I would rate the 3 even from a technology standpoint. GS430/M45/RL

Now the GS 450h, is just a whole different level of tecnology from Gen 5 NAV to the hybrid synergy drive.

i have a M45 sport loaded with every option, dont know if the lane departure thing was optional but i have it. Honestly its not all great. it beeps when you go over the line on the road but u can bariely hear it, when you have the music playing or the window down, it beeps but you dont hear it because its not loud. and a lil lane system flashes on the instrument panel but you wont see it unless you look down at the right moment to even notice that you're not in the lane. but hey you can turn it off
Old 04-29-06, 07:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There is no way in heaven, hell and anything in between the M45 is the most technologically advanced anything. I've seen refrigerators, sorry, toaster ovens with more tech. I think its actually a throwback, brute power and force.

:
Totally agree, Mike. For the money ( 50K +/-) the Acura RL offers far more technology. Its engine may not have quite the M45's brute power, but the chassis is far more sophisticated and the SH AWD ( the M45 is RWD only ) is one of the best AWD systems on the market. Plus, the RL offers noticibly better fit-and-finish and bank-vault-like door solidness, although the M45's new interior and dash is quite impressive with the Rosewood finish.
Old 04-29-06, 07:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I also question the selection of the 3-series as the best driver's car. True, the 3-series has a superb steering system ( at least the non-Active one ) and the chassis dynamics are first-rate for a sedan, but you are stuck with I-Drive in all but the base version, and if you have ever driven a Mazda Miata or a Honda S2000 on a twisting road ( provided you are small enough to FIT in one ) I think you will agree with me that the Best Driver's Car award can probably be split between these two. I would have mentioned the lighter and even more agile and responsive Lotus Elise as perhaps the Ultimate Driver's car, but the Elise simply has too harsh of a ride....even more so than Miatas or S2000s. It is like riding in a go-kart.
Old 04-29-06, 09:01 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
would have mentioned the lighter and even more agile and responsive Lotus Elise as perhaps the Ultimate Driver's car, but the Elise simply has too harsh of a ride....even more so than Miatas or S2000s. It is like riding in a go-kart.
I would name the Elise as well, but as far as this list goes, the Elise has pretty much 0 technology.

I don't get why people keep naming the Infiniti's over all the others for technology. They don't offer park sensors (minus the QX), laser/radar cruise, hell they don't even offer power-folding mirrors. How does this put them on top? I agree with the GS450h should be on top there. That car is a technological wonder
Old 04-29-06, 02:51 PM
GSsnarl
Pole Position

Although I truly believe that the Infiniti M is a great car and is an incredible performer, I wouldn’t go as far to claim that’s it’s the technologically most advanced car . I mean the GS has way more important stuff! (Read below)… Or is PC magazine only judging based on Navigation graphics and display, I-pod integration and rear DVD entertainment?

Some of the things the GS has over the M

VGRS; adjusts steering ratio according to speed, makes driving around at low speeds easier by lessening the number of times you need to turn the wheel.

Sensors that detect when wind is hitting the side of the car, and if those sensors detect that the
car is slightly drifting off towards the right, the system applies up to 2 degrees of steering assist towards the left to keep the car going straight.

VDIM; it’s not just an ESP, VSC or any of those systems, this thing way more sophisticated and GS should be getting awards based on this system alone.

Parking sensors; not only do they give audible warnings and show you a top view of the car and where you’re about to hit, but the warning sound also comes out from the side of the object you’re about to hit. But that’s not all, since this car is all electronics, the system also tell you how to steer in order to avoid hitting the near by object.

AVS

Rain sensing wipers

Electric brakes

Laser cruise control or pre collision system in the GS goes a step further than the M, by applying brakes, when the driver fails to react to the warnings of a collision.

Both exterior rear view mirrors go down when put in reverse (not just one)
Both exterior rear view mirrors are electrocromatic (not just one)

Screen is touch screen operated, while the M uses a ****-joystick

Not to mention that the GS has more seat adjustments for the front passenger.
GS has 3 separate memory seat positions for each of the front seats, the M only has 2 for the driver and none for the passenger.

Auto door locking when shifted to drive or when it reaches a certain speed (you choose)

Smart key system in the Lexus is much more sophisticated and high tech than the Infiniti’s system

Headlight washers

A smart sensor for the AC that instantly switches air intake from outside to inside the second it detects a certain level of smog/pollution from outside. Keeps the passengers in the cabin breathing clean air.

The M still uses A 5 SPEED!!!

Knee airbags

Head rest that automatically moves up or down based on how far the seat is pushed back.

Just naming a few… the GS430 is a great car, I don’t even know what to say about the GS450h, THIS CAR, IS the most technologically advanced car. Again, the M is a great car, but i think its performance is playing too much of a factor when magazines judge and rate this car.
Old 04-29-06, 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You can also make a case for the Lexus RX400H and Toyota Highlander Hybrids being on this list. They have what IMO is the most sophisticated and technically complex drivetrain available today in a regular production vehicle. This multiple-electric motor system from this drivetrain will be available in the future Lexus GS hybrids but probably will not have the AWD combined with it that the RX and Highlander have.....I expect flipside909, LexArazzo, and 1SICKLEX will fill us in on that later as details become more available.

Quick Reply: PC Magazine names most technologically advanced cars...