Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Will the new BMW 335i replace the 330i or what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-06, 10:29 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Will the new BMW 335i replace the 330i or what?

Just wondering if they're going to now be 325/330/335/M or if they're going to remove one of those choices from the lineup?

I've actually heard a reasonable rumor that the 325's 2.5L is going away like it already has for the Z4 platform. But if the 3.0L is the 'base' engine, is that going to raise prices much?

Also, when is the 335 going to come out and when it goes, what's the power going to be? I've read articles that said just a bit over 300, and I've read some that say 330!

Personally I would tend to guess more like 330hp because they're using a similar displacement with direct injection like the IS has, PLUS twin turbos. Unless they're just using the turbos to enhance the low and midrange power curve and not really the peak figures (which is respectable if they do... I love low end turbo torque)
Old 04-17-06, 10:31 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Over 300 hp (not sure on exact, many conflicting reports) and around 292 torque from a turbocharge direct injection 3.0 i6. M3 gets a V8 derived from the M5 V10. Not sure what is going to happen to the 325. Im not that impressed, emissions and gas mileage are gonna take a dump over a N/A version with the same power

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=bmw+335

http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/...turbo-six.html

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 04-17-06 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-17-06, 10:36 AM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/02/21/b...ine-in-geneva/
Old 04-17-06, 10:45 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Hm... I see a lot of mention of the 335ci, but not of the 335i... I'd assume they'd do both? All other things being equal other than the number of doors, I'd much rather have the sedan, especially since BMW seems to charge a couple grand more for their coupes for some reason...
Old 04-17-06, 10:57 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Not sure what is going to happen to the 325. Im not that impressed, emissions and gas mileage are gonna take a dump over a N/A version with the same power
This is not necessarily true with these new generation turbocharged engines with quick spooling turbos and direct injection technology.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postcount=138
Old 04-17-06, 01:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
This is not necessarily true with these new generation turbocharged engines with quick spooling turbos and direct injection technology.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postcount=138
sure it is...
Old 04-17-06, 01:46 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
sure it is...
Direct injection improves milage and emissions. Turbos hurt milage and come sometimes (but not always) hurt emissions.

So you have two forces in this new motor working against each other interms of milage and emissions. As to which direction the end result goes, there's no way to know until we see it.
Old 04-17-06, 01:48 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

the new 325 uses a 3.0l i6 so its not much different than the 330. They will keep all models I'm sure because there is a segment in the market for all of them. The 335i is going to destroy the is350 but I think it will cost too much more to make it a worthy comparison. Just my opinion.
Old 04-17-06, 02:02 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Direct injection improves milage and emissions. Turbos hurt milage and come sometimes (but not always) hurt emissions.

So you have two forces in this new motor working against each other interms of milage and emissions. As to which direction the end result goes, there's no way to know until we see it.
DI helps power/torque too as seen on the ES350/camry and IS350 engines their only difference being the use of port and direct injection.

From all cases Ive seen turbos always worsen emissions, a lot of heat is lost when the exhaust gas powers the turbo turbines, this heat energy is needed for the cat to reach its most efficient temperatures to catalyze the exhaust gas and reduce emissions. Take away this heat energy from the cat and you get worse emissions. Subaru did something different and actually put the cats between the engine exhaust side and the turbo manifold and it helped emissions but it hurt exhaust flow rates to the turbo.

When you start your car cold, the car is polluting a lot more than normal because the catalytic converter is still cold and is not reducing emissions, once it warms up it works good

A question I'd still like to find an answer on is how much psi of boost is the 335 engine running. DI will help run higher boost since when the engine direct injects in the compression stroke, the air fuel mixture is cooled more and theres less chance of detonation during compression vs same thing in a non direct injection engine. Only gaining 47hp or so with DI and turbo? Must be running low boost pressures
Old 04-17-06, 04:06 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

This blanket statement is simply untrue. I would recommend reading through the post that I linked above. It's long, but worth it. Even the emissions part is highly debatable.
Old 04-17-06, 04:17 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

DI helps power/torque too as seen on the ES350/camry and IS350 engines their only difference being the use of port and direct injection.
The ES350/Camry/Avalon/RAV4 do not use direct injection though. They have the port-injected 2GR-FE version of the engine, and therefore you cannot attribute their fuel economy to direct injection. And on the IS350, there is far more there than just direct injection, unless by direct injection you're talking about all of the other changes too as a catch-all way of distinguishing them.

From all cases Ive seen turbos always worsen emissions, a lot of heat is lost when the exhaust gas powers the turbo turbines, this heat energy is needed for the cat to reach its most efficient temperatures to catalyze the exhaust gas and reduce emissions. Take away this heat energy from the cat and you get worse emissions. Subaru did something different and actually put the cats between the engine exhaust side and the turbo manifold and it helped emissions but it hurt exhaust flow rates to the turbo.
Turbocharging drastically favors Inline engines. Since the Subys aren't Inline (they're H-4) they have singificantly more complex exhaust and turbo routing which certainly won't help from an emissions standpoint. Also, the regular WRX has an 8.4:1 compression ratio, and 8.2:1 on the STI. Combine premium fueling requirements for the turbos along with a low static CR and you're definitely going to have poorer part-load emissions, and efficiency also.

But this is not really a fair comparison to the new BMW engine anyways because these are still "old school" turbo setups (as in pre-DI era). The Turbo DI engines are better in every respect. The VW/Audi 2.0T FSI engine is ULEV II certified which is the same as the IS350's engine. The previous 1.8T engine was also ULEV certified in 2001 which was better than a lot of naturally aspirated engines at the time and was still on the "old" technology.

When you start your car cold, the car is polluting a lot more than normal because the catalytic converter is still cold and is not reducing emissions, once it warms up it works good
This is true of any engine, not just a turbocharged one.

A question I'd still like to find an answer on is how much psi of boost is the 335 engine running. DI will help run higher boost since when the engine direct injects in the compression stroke, the air fuel mixture is cooled more and theres less chance of detonation during compression vs same thing in a non direct injection engine. Only gaining 47hp or so with DI and turbo? Must be running low boost pressures
That's generally the point if you want to have both crisp response, near-zero lag, and the ability to run taller highway gears that will still allow the engine to get into the boost range from the sub 2000 rpm zone. Otherwise you must run shorter gearing which has the engine running higher RPMs which is where the efficiency penalty comes since now you have higher frictional losses.
Old 04-21-06, 07:48 PM
dnszoom
Pole Position

Just wondering if they're going to now be 325/330/335/M or if they're going to remove one of those choices from the lineup?

I've actually heard a reasonable rumor that the 325's 2.5L is going away like it already has for the Z4 platform. But if the 3.0L is the 'base' engine, is that going to raise prices much?

Also, when is the 335 going to come out and when it goes, what's the power going to be? I've read articles that said just a bit over 300, and I've read some that say 330!

Personally I would tend to guess more like 330hp because they're using a similar displacement with direct injection like the IS has, PLUS twin turbos. Unless they're just using the turbos to enhance the low and midrange power curve and not really the peak figures (which is respectable if they do... I love low end turbo torque)
Looks like 328i 328xi 335i :

http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/futur...e/techdata.htm

300 HP and 300 ft lbs @ 1400RPM!

This car is going to be quick! BMW states 5.3/5.5 (auto) seconds for 0-60 but I suspect it'll be a bit quicker.

Edit: sorry, these are coupe specs and the OP was wondering about the 330i sedan.

Last edited by dnszoom; 04-21-06 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-22-06, 07:39 PM
LexFather

All wondeful engines.

I am curious will some buyers scare away, when hearing of turbos? A lot of buyers remember turbos of OLD, unreliable, expensive, lag ,etc. THey may not give new turbos a chance.