Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ponitac Solstice, in my reading, has gotten ripped in every single mag.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-06, 07:58 PM
LexFather

Unhappy Ponitac Solstice, in my reading, has gotten ripped in every single mag.

After getting my Sports Car International, they had a 4 page review on the Solstice. Now the usual car mags have said its okay, but still picked the Miata over it. The Euro mags basically pissed all over this new car.

So I was thinking, "well there go those Euro mags bashing anything AMerican made".

Yet here is an Amerian mag, IMO, possilby the best car mag out. And they RIPPED the Solstice.

bascially, its the same sentiments
1. It looks FANTASTIC
2. And that is all

THe interior is not only cheap but there is nowhere to put things.
If you drop the top, the trunk is literally useless.
The I-4 sounds like a vacuam cleaner and drives slightly better
It handles poorly for a car like this.

They said what happened was the MEDIA jumped all over this car and GM made it and didn't even pay the ROBOTS. It was that bad. The writer said this is WHAT IS WRONG with GM. They only design one or two parts that are GREAT instead of the whole car.

I've seen a few on the road, its a pretty car. BUt from my reading, you would rather drive a golf-kart.

Old 03-22-06, 08:03 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Damn, that sucks. But were we expecting anything different from GM?? The trucks are nice, but the fullsize SUV segment is dwindling as we speak.

I actually havent seen any Solstices on the road yet.
Old 03-22-06, 08:06 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I like everything about the Solstice but the power. However, for the price, that is what one gets. Strangely enough, I was talking about this vehicle earler today under the Chevy SSR thread and when I went out to get dinner with my cousin tonight, we came back and a neighbor was just pulling in ahead of me with...a Solstice. Apparently, he plans to modify this thing and ram a turbo into it...YES...YES...YES. This guy read my mind exactly. He knew that more powerful Miata won't come to Mexico until a little later (and thought they might charge an arm and a leg), had looked at the Toyota MR2 still sold here, a used MG TF and even the Z BMWs, but wanted something new.
Old 03-22-06, 08:21 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I never even like the way it looks
Old 03-22-06, 08:28 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in GM's home town and the only one I've seen on the road was a dealer car.

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I never even like the way it looks
Coming from a 2 coupe owner, that's tough.
Old 03-22-06, 08:35 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

well, i did my review a while back and i was impressed with what i saw, but i never did get to sit in a production model, i only saw a few of the preproduction ones. i didn't think it was THAT bad though, i mean certainly nothing to rip it up over. sure i'd still pick the miata too, but it's not a terrible car. i've seen a few driving around my area, and even the boss picked up one of the first 1,000 production models that came out. yeah, the trunk is useless with the top down, but who buys a small roadster like that for practicality?
Old 03-22-06, 08:49 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not a bad looking car

I remember reading a GQ article a few months back and they weren't to kind to easy on the Solstice either. I think the guy was reveiewing it in Europe (Italy). It was kinda funny actually.
Old 03-22-06, 09:13 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can see having the car cruising by the beach on a nice summer day.

For every other function (driving kids, going to work, travelling with luggage, buying groceries, moving furniture, racing against Civics, running from the cops, impressing people, etc), it just doesn' t cut it. That's why this car won't sell.
Old 03-22-06, 09:17 PM
Variance
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Sky (Opel GT) should be better received in Europe.
Old 03-22-06, 10:07 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

I think the Solstice is entering a playing field where there are some serious competitors.

The Miata is the king of fun and affordable.

The S2000 is the king of speed and performance.

The Solstice is a beautiful car, which most people agree with. Unfortunately, the engineers are not up to speed with the designers. I think it is a very good FIRST attempt by GM in the roadster market. Sure it isn't light and sporty like a roadster should be, but GM hasn't had a history of building cars with these two qualities in mind. Americans like BIG, TORQUEY, SMOOTH.

Hopefully the Solstice will be a huge success so GM can actually spend some R&D and improve the Solstice for the next production update. It's the first Pontiac I have ever considered.
Old 03-23-06, 12:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Variance
The Sky (Opel GT) should be better received in Europe.
not really, cars like this are very niche in europe... US market should be at least 80% of its sales.