Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

No love for Infiniti Q60?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-17, 07:48 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default No love for Infiniti Q60?

I rarely hear this car mentioned in the forum... I'm sure because coupes are so rare these days. I've seen two on the road (a white one today) and have been really impressed. The rear looked almost like an exotic car. I know the interior is its weak point, since it is very similar to the Q50, but the exterior IMO looks really sharp. Anyone else seen one? Were you impressed?

I have to say, seeing one is almost the same feeling I had when I saw the first Audi A5/S5 on the road, which is still a great-looking car.

If you disagree you won't hurt my feelings.
Old 02-09-17, 08:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

It's a beautiful car. Worlds better than the Q60/G37 it replaced. That said, imho I think the latest Q60's problem is the name and the badge. The Infiniti name has had it's moments but it's never really translated to success like its peers. Even worse is most of their models had a cult following, ie G, M, FX, and now the Q/QX naming scheme has ridden them of any identity.
Old 02-09-17, 10:15 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's rare seeing the new Q60 on the roads due to a couple of reasons I that believe. 1. It has gotten fatter, the 4 cylinder version already weighs almost much as the old G35/37. 2. It's way too expensive, we're talking about BMW 4 series/MB C class coupe prices here. For almost the same price as those German rivals, why not buy the Germans? The old G used to thousands of dollars cheaper than its German rivals. I see far more G35s and G37s on the road these days.
Old 02-10-17, 12:32 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It's a beautiful car. Worlds better than the Q60/G37 it replaced. That said, imho I think the latest Q60's problem is the name and the badge. The Infiniti name has had it's moments but it's never really translated to success like its peers. Even worse is most of their models had a cult following, ie G, M, FX, and now the Q/QX naming scheme has ridden them of any identity.
Are we talking about the same Infiniti that just had its best January sales since its inception?

Originally Posted by F1Driver
It's rare seeing the new Q60 on the roads due to a couple of reasons I that believe. 1. It has gotten fatter, the 4 cylinder version already weighs almost much as the old G35/37. 2. It's way too expensive, we're talking about BMW 4 series/MB C class coupe prices here. For almost the same price as those German rivals, why not buy the Germans? The old G used to thousands of dollars cheaper than its German rivals. I see far more G35s and G37s on the road these days.
Q60 sales were actually picking up steam after release in late 2016 and outsold the Lexus RC last month. Give it some time. Launching in the colder months due to delays certainly wasn't ideal.
Old 02-10-17, 03:26 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I've seen a few around the DC area great looking car and tuners have already cracked the TTV6 ECU. I think sales will pick up and once the modding starts they may surprise a few cars.
Old 02-10-17, 05:32 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Many folks here have grumbled about the direct adaptive steering, double waterfall cockpit and semi-autonomous (nanny) features of the Q50 and it appears that their opinions transfer to the Q60.

as TangoRed mentioned, the car has not been on the market long so not tons of cars to be seen.

to his point about sales, the Q60 did over 700 units in January and is finding its way to garages.

as long as someone can get past the badge thing (instead of buying a BMW, Benz or Audi) the high power version
​​​​​​​has a lot to offer.
Old 02-10-17, 05:44 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Agreed. It is a looker. It evokes the same emotion as the two previous ones do. The Red Sport is a blast to drive from the reviews I've seen. I also do believe the name change has hurt sales somewhat, but given the very good lease deals (at least in S Fla), sales will pick up.
Old 02-10-17, 05:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

it's an awesome car. infiniti is doing just fine. the 'q' switchover was no doubt difficult, but it's a long game, not a short one.
Old 02-10-17, 07:38 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great looking car! The interior is a bit dated, but they did update the steering wheel from the Q50, so that was a nice touch, wish they could have done a complete interior revamp though. The new 3.0T, even the non-Red Sport version, has a great swell of power. DAS 2.0 has improved significantly as well. I would seriously consider picking up a lease on the Q60 and the updated Q50 for that matter, the lease deals are very aggressive with lots of incentive support.
Old 02-10-17, 09:12 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

i'm a fan of the coupe but not the sedan. i think the coupe is a really solid product despite its interior and unknown reliability. if i were in the market for a car today, i would seriously consider the q60.
Old 02-10-17, 09:14 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Because all the premium Germans are designed with sedan glasshouse with two doors chopped off and they call them coupes. In some instances they even add two doors back so you have a proper sedan like 4 & 6 GC or Sportback. You could never do that with RC and Q60 designs because they are properly designed two door coupes from the ground up without any compromises on the glasshouse. To be a little bit of devil's advocate here they can't really add two more doors to MB C-class coupe either, but not due to glasshouse but rather to that stinky, heavy C-pillar beltline that makes the whole car fall apart. Just take look how thick beltline makes the rear wheel well looks like its made for 15" wheel size. Disgusting.

So yeah, only two proper two door coupes in entry premium market are Lexus RC and Infiniti Q60. And no, four door coupes are not coupes, they are sedans that have close to symmetric and more round roof slopes than usual on both sides of a greenhouse.
Old 02-10-17, 09:47 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't think the Audi A5 has a sedan greenhouse either.
Old 02-10-17, 10:07 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Regarding reliability my Q50S Hybrid has been bulletproof in 3.5 years and 55,000 miles as my DD

can't speak to the new turbo motors life span

i love how folks grump about price

ever take a close look at an MB CLA for thirty something grand?

i think that Infiniti has been offering fair value for their offerings
Old 02-10-17, 10:36 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Are we talking about the same Infiniti that just had its best January sales since its inception?
If you're talking about success based on sales sure. I'm talking about the brand as a whole. Personally I think Infiniti's worst enemy is in-house Renault and Ghosen pulling the strings.
Old 02-10-17, 11:05 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I like it. It is a coupe and it is winter so good sales are not to be expected but it seems to be doing okay so far. I have not seem many on the road and have not had the opportunity to get a really good look at it. I was not a fan of the concepts looks though, maybe it looks better in person.

It sounds like the difference between the 300hp and 400hp version comes mostly down to tuning of the turbo's. If it is just that I would get the 300hp version and then have it tuned to 400hp or more which probably would cost much less then the big premium you pay for the 400hp version.

Quick Reply: No love for Infiniti Q60?