Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Where's the MR2

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-06, 05:19 PM
papachino
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where's the MR2

So what is happening with the Mr2 and the Celica. I was at the Toyota dealer today and noticed that there weren't any Celicas or Mr2's. A sales representative said that it is getting replcaed with a new car, does anyone have any info about the replacement?
Old 03-20-06, 05:34 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

the celica and mr-s is no longer on sale in the US since 2005
Old 03-20-06, 05:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by papachino
So what is happening with the Mr2 and the Celica. I was at the Toyota dealer today and noticed that there weren't any Celicas or Mr2's. A sales representative said that it is getting replcaed with a new car, does anyone have any info about the replacement?
You....and that salesman.......are a little late to the party. They were both dropped from the U.S. market at the end of the 2005 model year.....last fall. Toyota announced that at least a year in advance, so it wasn't a surprise at all. Please don't be offended...I'm not saying that you were ignorant for not knowing this......you may not have followed auto market news or read the numerous discussions we had here at CL about it., but I AM surprised that a Toyota sales rep who sells the company's products for a living did not know that....that is inexcusable.
Anyhow, the rationale from Toyota marketing was that the MR2 had very low sales ( not surprising if you only build a few thousand of them each year........what do you EXPECT? )
The Celica sold better but still not enough to satisfy the bean counters. So, with the new Scion tC expected to get most of the small sports-coupe sales anyway, they just let the tC take over the market that both the former MR2 and Celica had.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-20-06 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-20-06, 05:55 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

exactly right !!(as usual )

sure will miss that mid-engine tho
Old 03-20-06, 06:37 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Still happily being sold down here in Mexico.
Old 03-20-06, 07:25 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

there is a Hyrbid MR2 in the works. The drive train is already being tested in a MRS guise.

Toyota should just re-release the 2nd GEN MR2 Turbo, with the 245 hp motor Japan got
Old 03-20-06, 07:41 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the Celica and MR2 will be reincarnated into the Scion family, not because of price, but because of the types of drivers that get sporty coupes/roadsters.

The tC pretty much replaced the Celica. A convertible Scion is in the works (the hybrid MR2 idea) but nothing is confirmed. I think Scion can definately get a roadster that will aim at the Solstice and S2000.
Old 03-21-06, 03:58 PM
papachino
Pole Position

Well I have been busy lately, and I might of forgot about the discontinue, but I was really trying to find out is what is replacing both of these cars. The guy told me a name, but it was mumbled so I couldn't understand. It is coming this summer and isn't mid-engined, which was my favorite thing of toyota. An any plans of a Mr2 Hybrid isn't happening, both the Celica and Mr2 are gone
Old 03-21-06, 05:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

MR2 is still sold in parts of the world and they were some minor updates for 2006. Main reason it does not sell in Europe anymore (at least) is that both it and Celica do not satisfy latest emissions regulations, and sales were not enough to warrant an update - even more important was that Toyota Europe is building its core model lineup and is dropping all of the other models in order to increase focus on core models.

My MRS turbo still goes nicely, would hate to let it go...