Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Air Ride - What do you think is cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-06, 01:37 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Ride - What do you think is cooler?

Being able to "play" with the car (ie... goes up and down fairly fast.... can go side to side, etc...)

or a slow, fluid motion?

This is for a lexus of course.

As many of you might not already know.... my SC is on my own custom air suspension... and I'm designing another setup. I'm trying to decide if i should have it moderately fast... or very slow.

My setup right now is on the fast side... its very fun to play with and loud. I get great crowd reactions when i play with it.

However, I've been contemplating the idea of a slow, fluid response. 3-4 seconds to fully rise or lower. It seems classier and more luxurious. WIth this type of setup... going side to side and stuff is pointless. But I wouldn't expect as great of a crowd reaction either.

Some of you might say.... how about have the ability to do both? Yea I can do it... it'll cost more though. And it would require me to adjust some stuff to make it really slow or fast.
Old 03-15-06, 01:46 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i say slow. Probably around 2-3 seconds to raise/lower your car. Also, having it quiet is key. Since you have a lexus.... i guess it's more luxurious for it to be quiet. Im not fond of having it too loud.

The air runner that i had the privledge to ride in was very quiet. Barely made any noises going up/down.!!

on a side note... when are the brackets gonna be done!!!???!!!
Old 03-15-06, 02:42 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't mind...I'll take either one of them...

But, how long would it take to convert from the fast action to the fluid action or vice versa if I got bored with it...
Old 03-15-06, 03:21 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

well... it would be a matter of adjusting some dials wherever they are placed.... so if they're in a hard to reach spot (ie... have to jack up the car, etc...) then it'll take a while.

But yea.... quiet and slow is definately luxury.... but it just kinda seems boring at the same time.

There's so much I can do with the system that I'm having a hard time deciding what it should and shouldn't do.

The quiet/slow route would allow for a single unit that displays air pressure and have controls in one unit.... but is obviously limited with the controls.
Old 03-15-06, 03:41 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a bagged S-10, fbss and it's fast but loud and i'm a little tired of the playing around with it and dragging, especially after I ripped my roll pan off So if I were to do it to another vehicle, especially a Lexus or luxury type car I would go slow and silent. Roll up and lay that thing out without hearing it, my neighbors would enjoy it too
Old 03-15-06, 04:27 PM
dandd2
Lead Lap

any pics of your car?
Old 03-15-06, 05:07 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not into the hissing and snorting typical of air ride systems- especially for a Lexus- so I would say having one on the slower side would bee cool.

However, I wouldn't mind having an optional fast "up" motion for occasional driveway approaches when the car is being driven at a fairly low setting... so, this "fast up" feature would really be more practical than show-oriented function.

I'd like to see a system that could be speed-triggered; for example,the car would have a pre-set lowered height for driving around & parking, but at 50mph & higher the car would drop another 10mm or so. Mercedes does this with their Airmatic and Hydraulic suspension cars. The old Lincoln Mark VIII had it, too.
Old 03-15-06, 05:09 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

here's some old ones

[IMGhttps://www.clublexus.com/gallery/data/502/DSC02300.JPG[/IMG]

Old 03-15-06, 05:12 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

i could do that.... but it would up the cost dramatically

also... the scenario of getting up quick while on the highway isn't much of an issue...

right now... i can pop up the car in maybe 1 second... maybe even less than that.... so when i need to do some precision adjustments.... i just "flick" the switch to kinda tap it up or down

slow is more like 3-4 seconds to full up from full down.... which isn't very long either

i love the hissing (snorting happens when you have a completely empty bag and fill it up at high pressure)

its what catches everyone's attention... and it just adds to the effect of lowering your car hahaha

its like when you watch action sequences in movies.... i bet it wouldn't be perceived the same without the sound
Old 03-15-06, 07:18 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

how much did u spend on your setup and would you mind going into detail on it please?
im hoping its cheaper than the air-runner systems x.x
Old 03-15-06, 09:03 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

whats up puredrifter

here were my original threads
(when i was finished)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=air+ride

and when i first started thinking about it
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=air+ride

I have spent slightly over 2k on top of the HKS coilovers... I basically have an HKS coilover with an airbag... I have a progressive spring rate, I can adjust dampening 2 ways... via the HKS adjustment and with the air as well (higher PSI = stiffer ride). I also adjust my max drop and max height (thus i can also decide at what height my optimal dampening settings will be at = ride height)

Best of all... my system is bolt-on... you can go back to stock if later down the road you sell the car.

I'm hoping that this will be my claim to fame and opportunity to start my own business.
Old 03-16-06, 12:27 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice!

I want bags!!
Old 03-16-06, 09:27 AM
Coffey454
Rookie

The faster the better. If you have a fast bag set-up you can tune it to be slow if you want with different valve controls.
Old 03-16-06, 10:09 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

well like i had mentioned... i can set it up so I can choose whether or not its fast or slow...

I was just interested in what people think is better.... fast or slow

because if the majority like it one way... then i can tailor it their likings. Being able to do both adds complexity and more parts (more points of failure) into the equation....

so with that said... what do you prefer coffey?
Old 03-16-06, 12:26 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

I've seen cars that are slammed to the ground. THough look very cool, they handle like $#!T.

With this kind of set up (air susp), how does it affect the car handling ability?

Quick Reply: Air Ride - What do you think is cooler?