Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

fun and funny stuff Test driving a '03 E55

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-06, 06:12 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fun and funny stuff Test driving a '03 E55

I have been contemplating on a new car...and keeping the lexus of course. Some might say sell, but it is my first car that I have paid off worth anything substancial, and not to mention a favorite of mine. But today I tried out another beast. It was a 03 AMG E55. Beige with Grey interior. Upon starting the car, it sounded something nice. The s/c whined more than I thought it would during warm up, but was nice! I sit in the car, and play with the seats. I like the controls on the side of the seat in my opinion, and I think it makes the doors look too busy...but that's not a big deal. The lumbar was nice, and just something to make your seat more custom.

The dash was nice. The model I drove did not have Nav,so the cd and cassette was all I had to play with. It had the esp and all the other little do dads. I was not really into studying them, I was there to drive it. The stereo had some nice tones to it, and I doubt I would mess with it, due to just knowing the extent of a custom install in a luxury sedan.

Seats were really nice and firm. The really keep you in place, and you don't go anywhere.

Steering wheel was easy to hold on to and just turn quick, and not let it slip out your hands.

The drive. Awesome!!!!! I was so amazed at the torque and overall strength of the car. I would play with the active ride controls and just instantly feel the car lower to the earth and make itself plant more solid around curves and any inperfections in the highway. One thing I would need to get use to is the starts. It jumps off the line, and not really evening meaning to.

The funny (bad) thing is that while at the gas station, a guy from arkansas pulls onto the highway, and see's he can not go. Well he backs up right into the front of the car
I could not help but laugh, but I wasn't driving at the time. Anyway I am making a decision on the car saturday, and i THINK he is letting me have it for a steal. We are going to discuss the price, and I am think its gonna be wholesale. Stay tuned....and any questions I will answer.
Old 03-02-06, 06:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ah, e55, of course it's a nice car, you can't ask for more. of all the people i talk to, the tq in that car is just insane. i like that car, but i am sure we won't own it (for whatever reason, my wife hates it)
Old 03-02-06, 07:24 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can, pull the trigger on the deal, especially if you are getting it for a great price. The E55 is a real beast. Any reliability problems with it?
Old 03-02-06, 08:17 PM
LexFather

Nuff said

BUY THE CAR!!

Old 03-02-06, 10:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

oh mike, nice pic. i still remember that pic, that's the press release pic and i was so drooling about the car already!
Old 03-02-06, 10:17 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
oh mike, nice pic. i still remember that pic, that's the press release pic and i was so drooling about the car already!
That pic was an instant "save as".

Beautiful

Old 03-02-06, 10:48 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

hey if you can work out a great deal...then more power to ya. I think the E55 is a sexy car. Great power and great design. But then the CLS55 came along....
Old 03-02-06, 11:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
That pic was an instant "save as".

Beautiful
you bet man, that gotta be one of the hottest angles

Last edited by rominl; 03-02-06 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-02-06, 11:11 PM
OGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
If you can, pull the trigger on the deal, especially if you are getting it for a great price. The E55 is a real beast. Any reliability problems with it?
this model of the E55 should mostly be problem free.

I am VERY VERY happy with the trade up from the LS to the CL.
Old 03-02-06, 11:37 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by magneto112
hey if you can work out a great deal...then more power to ya. I think the E55 is a sexy car. Great power and great design. But then the CLS55 came along....
There will ALWAYS be something else better come along.

Life is short, get the car and enjoy it.
Old 03-03-06, 08:30 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fireballs gs400
I have been contemplating on a new car...and keeping the lexus of course. Some might say sell, but it is my first car that I have paid off worth anything substancial, and not to mention a favorite of mine. But today I tried out another beast. It was a 03 AMG E55. Beige with Grey interior. Upon starting the car, it sounded something nice. The s/c whined more than I thought it would during warm up, but was nice! I sit in the car, and play with the seats. I like the controls on the side of the seat in my opinion, and I think it makes the doors look too busy...but that's not a big deal. The lumbar was nice, and just something to make your seat more custom.

The dash was nice. The model I drove did not have Nav,so the cd and cassette was all I had to play with. It had the esp and all the other little do dads. I was not really into studying them, I was there to drive it. The stereo had some nice tones to it, and I doubt I would mess with it, due to just knowing the extent of a custom install in a luxury sedan.

Seats were really nice and firm. The really keep you in place, and you don't go anywhere.

Steering wheel was easy to hold on to and just turn quick, and not let it slip out your hands.

The drive. Awesome!!!!! I was so amazed at the torque and overall strength of the car. I would play with the active ride controls and just instantly feel the car lower to the earth and make itself plant more solid around curves and any inperfections in the highway. One thing I would need to get use to is the starts. It jumps off the line, and not really evening meaning to.

The funny (bad) thing is that while at the gas station, a guy from arkansas pulls onto the highway, and see's he can not go. Well he backs up right into the front of the car
I could not help but laugh, but I wasn't driving at the time. Anyway I am making a decision on the car saturday, and i THINK he is letting me have it for a steal. We are going to discuss the price, and I am think its gonna be wholesale. Stay tuned....and any questions I will answer.
I have a "few" 55 AMG's. The engines are great with more torque than you can ever safely use. Havng never fully grown up, I just had to do some Renntech engine mods on my SL55. According to Renntech the horsepower is 573 and the torque is 606 ft. lbs.(real beast) The sound that you heard at start up was not the supercharger but the normal whine of the cold engine. The super charger has an electro mechanical clutch that engages the SC at about 3,000 RPM's.

The only real problem that you will probably incur is that for some strange reason the rear tires eem to wear out quickly . For the life of me I can't wonder why!!!!
Old 03-03-06, 09:18 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lkirchner
The only real problem that you will probably incur is that for some strange reason the rear tires eem to wear out quickly . For the life of me I can't wonder why!!!!
I know!!! your right foot is bigger and heavier than your left.
Old 03-03-06, 11:02 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by newr
I know!!! your right foot is bigger and heavier than your left.
You have a very good point.
Old 03-03-06, 12:18 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

hey Brian, about to put that wholesale license to some good use huh? You are in the perfect location man, the pricing on luxury cars in your section is just insane!

Of course if you can pull off a e55 do so. Its a great car, the cls is nice too, but the w211 is a very handsome design and holds its own very well.

good luck
Old 03-03-06, 12:19 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by OGS
this model of the E55 should mostly be problem free.

I am VERY VERY happy with the trade up from the LS to the CL.
I bet you are!! I love the CL's too, did you start a post with pics or anything? Are you gonna do WALD mods again?

Quick Reply: fun and funny stuff Test driving a '03 E55