Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kelley Blue Book Best Resale Value Award Winners

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-05, 11:31 AM
Variance
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kelley Blue Book Best Resale Value Award Winners

Best Resale Value (Brand):

BMW and Mini (tie)

Best Resale Value (Category):

Sedan: Honda Accord Hybrid
Coupe: Infiniti G35 Coupe
Covertible: Chevrolet Corvette Convertible
Wagon: Subaru Outback Wagon
Hatchback: Mini Cooper/Toyota Prius (tie)
Pickup: Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
SUV: Porsche Cayenne
Van/Minivan: Honda Odyssey
Luxury: Infiniti M45

Best Resale Top Ten:

Mini Cooper
Toyota Prius
Honda Accord Hybrid
Volvo XC90
Porsche Cayenne
Infiniti G35
Chevrolet Corvette
BMW 5-Series
Lexus GX470
Infiniti M45

Link: http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/ke.kb.s...oshow/2006_CA&
Old 10-06-05, 04:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

I would have to question the Infiniti M45 being on that list unless they are referring to the new one being introduced last fall, which has gotten a lot of good press. The old M45, like big brother Q45, sat on dealer lots and did little else beside collect dust and bird droppings....in spite of the fact that it shared big brother's 340 HP V8 and a fairly sporty chassis in a lighter, more trim package. Perhaps it was due to the fact that its styling was rather boxy.....though I like those kind of lines myself, apparantly many people didn't. And......cars that are not popular when new are usually not very popular used either, and not worth very much.....which, as I said, would make it surprising if KBB was referring to the old M45.
Old 10-06-05, 04:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

8000 posts in just under 2 years.............Guys, I think I'm going to have to get a life.

Oh, well.....I guess that IS my life......car talk.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-06-05 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-06-05, 10:14 PM
Final Word
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Variance
Best Resale Value (Brand):

BMW and Mini (tie)

Best Resale Value (Category):

Sedan: Honda Accord Hybrid
Coupe: Infiniti G35 Coupe
Covertible: Chevrolet Corvette Convertible
Wagon: Subaru Outback Wagon
Hatchback: Mini Cooper/Toyota Prius (tie)
Pickup: Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
SUV: Porsche Cayenne
Van/Minivan: Honda Odyssey
Luxury: Infiniti M45

Best Resale Top Ten:

Mini Cooper
Toyota Prius
Honda Accord Hybrid
Volvo XC90
Porsche Cayenne
Infiniti G35
Chevrolet Corvette
BMW 5-Series
Lexus GX470
Infiniti M45

Link: http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/ke.kb.s...oshow/2006_CA&

wow, 2 Infiniti's on the list, but only 1 Lexus. So much for the theory that Lexus has a better resale value than Infiniti.
Old 10-06-05, 11:01 PM
Variance
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I would have to question the Infiniti M45 being on that list unless they are referring to the new one being introduced last fall, which has gotten a lot of good press. The old M45, like big brother Q45, sat on dealer lots and did little else beside collect dust and bird droppings....in spite of the fact that it shared big brother's 340 HP V8 and a fairly sporty chassis in a lighter, more trim package. Perhaps it was due to the fact that its styling was rather boxy.....though I like those kind of lines myself, apparantly many people didn't. And......cars that are not popular when new are usually not very popular used either, and not worth very much.....which, as I said, would make it surprising if KBB was referring to the old M45.
Well put your mind at ease. If you follow the link, they clearly picture the new M45.
Old 10-07-05, 03:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well put your mind at ease. If you follow the link, they clearly picture the new M45.
OK....Thanks. Didn't clearly see it on the link but I'll take your word for it.
Old 10-07-05, 06:16 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Final Word
wow, 2 Infiniti's on the list, but only 1 Lexus. So much for the theory that Lexus has a better resale value than Infiniti.
Did your mother drop you on your head after you came out the womb?

Another thread started by Carlos Ghosen's illegitimate children. So after what, 15 years in business, Infiniti finally gets on the resale list, and we are to be impressed?

Give us a break. I can say the G35 coupe does hold its value VERY well but the G35 sedan resale is avg, hell a 2003 G35 sells for the price of a 2001 IS. As for the M45, clearly its not the last model, as they were being sold 10k under invoice and you can get those for under 30k already.

The new car, with the new GS/A6, IMO, its too early to tell about resale.

Why don't ya'll go to Mississippi and go to a plant tour of how the QX56 is built and leave us alone. Maybe help screw some bolts in so it doesn't fall apart like it is now.

Old 10-07-05, 06:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
. As for the M45, clearly its not the last model, as they were being sold 10k under invoice and you can get those for under 30k already.

Yes, Mike...that's the point I was trying to make in my first post. I couldn't see how the first M45 could possibly be on the list. For whatever reasons, ( probably styling ) , they simply didn't sell.
Old 10-07-05, 08:19 AM
Variance
Driver

Another thread started by Carlos Ghosen's illegitimate children. So after what, 15 years in business, Infiniti finally gets on the resale list, and we are to be impressed?

Give us a break. I can say the G35 coupe does hold its value VERY well but the G35 sedan resale is avg, hell a 2003 G35 sells for the price of a 2001 IS. As for the M45, clearly its not the last model, as they were being sold 10k under invoice and you can get those for under 30k already.

The new car, with the new GS/A6, IMO, its too early to tell about resale.

Why don't ya'll go to Mississippi and go to a plant tour of how the QX56 is built and leave us alone. Maybe help screw some bolts in so it doesn't fall apart like it is now.
Geez, who took a whiz in your cereal this morning?

The resale of the G35 Sedan is only 3% less than that of the Coupe.

The awards are based on projected/predicted resale values and if you look at the other winners that have been out longer than the M, they all indeed do have good resale. So there's no reason to think the M wouldn't.

What are you getting all bent out of shape about? I didn't even say a word about Infiniti until mmarshall asked about the M.
Old 10-07-05, 09:55 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

??? Whatever. KBB is only used by dealers I believe to determine how much they want you to spend. I think here the common denominator is # of requests to buy or popularity. Nothing to do with quality or overall customer satisfaction. Am I wrong here??? Can someone else help explain how KBB determines value. And, I think the term "Award Winners" is very loosly used here by KBB...IMO.
Old 10-07-05, 10:45 AM
Final Word
Driver School Candidate

Hmm, that was pretty rude and uncalled for. Frankly, I would expect a little more class from a "ClubLexus" moderator
Old 10-07-05, 10:47 AM
Variance
Driver

Originally Posted by bmgs400
??? Whatever. KBB is only used by dealers I believe to determine how much they want you to spend.
Not true. Plenty of consumers use KBB as well to determine prices for buying or selling a car.

---

Vehicle Depreciation
Depreciation is inevitable. Some cars, like the ones on this year's Top 10 lists, have a slower depreciation rate than others. On average, a vehicle will only retain about 35 percent of its original value after five years, but the Kelley Blue Book® top 10 list of vehicles will retain closer to 50 percent. "The depreciation rate of a particular vehicle is dependant upon its own intrinsic quality and perceived value, plus market conditions, including simple supply and demand," said Jack R. Nerad, Editorial Director of the Kelley Blue Book®. "A highly popular car with limited availability will depreciate slower than a car that is less popular or even more available. We've frequently seen vehicles that were in high demand in their first few months in the marketplace slip in value as supply catches up with demand, but in some instances it might take a model year or more for this to occur."

According to the Kelley Blue Book® editorial team, there are things that buyers absolutely expect to be found in a car today. If they are not there, it could hurt the value and desirability of that car down the road. Those items include: power windows and door locks, a tilt wheel and cruise control. Wheels have also come a long way from the days of hubcaps. Picking a car with alloy or premium wheels will likely help you sell it down the road. "These expected items don't add value to your car," Nerad said. "Value is actually deducted if they're not there."

---

It's a combination of quality and desirability that determines resale value.
Old 10-07-05, 10:57 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I fail to see a 2006 model already having a high resale value. In my opinion, the car hasn't aged long enough to determine that rate or value. Oh well.
Old 10-07-05, 11:15 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Not true. Plenty of consumers use KBB as well to determine prices for buying or selling a car.
Yes, private owners like to use it too.

It's a combination of quality and desirability that determines resale value.
I think KBB is not dependent on quality at all. Standard features and desirability...yes. It comes down to supply and demand, so they can rake more $$ out of our pockets. Which, in all honesty, is fair economics.
Old 10-07-05, 03:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
I fail to see a 2006 model already having a high resale value. In my opinion, the car hasn't aged long enough to determine that rate or value. Oh well.
Yes, flip, that's true...but only on a technicality. For all intents and purposes, the average new car depreciates roughly 20% the moment you sign the papers, get in, turn the key, and drive off. You yourself know what depreciation is.......no doubt part of your job as an adjuster is to decide what damage is worth fixing and what has to be totalled.

Quick Reply: Kelley Blue Book Best Resale Value Award Winners