Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

how do you buys cars from auctions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-04, 10:01 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how do you buys cars from auctions?

I know that you need a dealers license or I think you do but does any one here know exactly whats needed to be able to buy car from auction.... I bought my car through a broker who went to an auction to pick up my GS4 and I bought my car for low blue book + tax & lic which was a pretty good deal now I know he made $ cuz he got got it cheaoer than that so how can i start to do this what do I need to do to get started
Old 04-23-04, 10:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts
Thumbs down Be CAREFUL

Different auctions, of course, have different policies, but in general, auction buys can be VERY risky. Often you are not allowed a test-drive, or even a preliminary inspection. At many auctions, the cars are simply brought out in public, and the bidding starts. The auction itself usually provides no warranty...it is buy at your own risk, though sometimes the balance of a factory waranty still applies if it is transferable from the first to subsequent owners.
And why are those vehicles up for auction in the first place? Many times ( not always, of course ) , they are bank repros from people who couldn't (or wouldn't ) make the payments, or vehicles that have been impounded by police or Government agencies for their use in crime, drugs, etc.....
That's NOT to say that you can't find some excellent buys at auctions....you can, and sometimes do. But my point is...be careful. You can get stuck with some real junk that nobody else wants.
Old 04-23-04, 12:14 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

u answered your own question:

I know that you need a dealers license or I think you do but does any one here know exactly whats needed to be able to buy car from auction
Old 04-23-04, 12:33 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by aliga
u answered your own question:
ok...... so how do i get a dealer license?
Old 04-23-04, 01:07 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

in ny, you need to have access to a lot, where you can display cars to the public. Im assuming it will be like that in CA as well. Depending on where your lot is located, you may be able to obtain a retail license to sell cars. You should check with local dmv, etc to get the exact info.
Old 04-23-04, 01:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts
Question Oops!

LEXISM, did your first question deal with just buying cars at auctions or actually getting into buisness operating one? Seems unclear....but if my reply dealt with the wrong subject here, my apologies.
Old 04-23-04, 03:01 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

I just wanted to know how to get access to those cars and great deals...... to buy some and resell and make a profit