Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Ali SC3's "Workin on it" thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-23, 08:17 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Received 224 Likes on 147 Posts

Heck yeah what a cool build. I’d love an NAT in my 2nd Gen taco.
The following users liked this post:
Ali SC3 (04-17-23)
Old 04-17-23, 10:18 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
The AX15 is strong and a great choice! I don't think you'll have any trouble with it!

Agreed on the cross-ram stock intake, Treadstone cast manifold and responsive small turbo probably giving you plenty of low end torque even without a VVT-i head.

What same side intercooler will you be using? Shouldn't it be possible to get a used OEM one for a foreign market FJ80 which came with a 1HZ or 1HD turbodiesel engine? Especially if the end tanks of one of those intercoolers from any of the model years of the 80-series were aluminum then it would be very easy to have it sent out to be custom re-cored for some more CFM flow and efficiency. I did this with an early model JZZ30 Soarer OEM side mount intercooler. I sent it out to Bell Intercoolers (Texas) and they came close to doubling the original flow rating (which was 214cfm with the old IC core and fins). I am still running that OEM side mount in my SC and reckon it's at least good for the standard 18psi BPU standard on my engine.

Depending on how much boost you plan to run that might be a good option for you? Matching up the IC piping with a mix of foreign market OEM and aftermarket shouldn't be too crazy to do.

I know the engine basics of building an NA-T but as to specifics with different coil pack conversions I've never tried and so I tend to look to your own threads and others on that subject, Ali

As long as you have the wiring diagrams and pinouts for both your FJ80 and the 2JZ-GE Non-VVT-i and the wiring schematics for the other hardware you'll be swapping over I don't think it'll be too crazy to make it all play nicely together. It's just time consuming to go through each circuit to verify.

At this point I have my own "wiring bible" for my SC300 and all of the non-standard or custom circuits that have been added. I know you'll be doing the same with your FJ pretty soon.
I was thinking either the front mounted same side intercooler which should fit behind the crash bar, but now you have me thinking about side mounts again.
The supra or soarer side mount would probably be good, need to look up the diameter. I also saw aftermarket ones for an mr2 that is 2.5" in/out that could also work.
It's interesting because of the way the 80 is setup there is almost more space in the front lower area then in the fender area below the headlights.
I wouldn't want to flex the solid axle and have the tire hit the intercooler for sure, but once I get there I'll post some pics and do some more brainstorming.

My plan for now is to get it running as an n/a and then I'll dive into all the turbo stuff.
Ran into some brake booster clearance issues but found an interesting conversion to a Bosch I-booster unit on some hot rods to convert it to full electric.
I am leaning towards using that for this swap because its pretty new, used on teslas and accords etc.. and way simpler than the toyota Electric boosters.
Once it is in it should have plenty of assist to stop the mighty JZ in a reasonable amount of time without worrying about vacuum issues.

Originally Posted by silentkill
Heck yeah what a cool build. I’d love an NAT in my 2nd Gen taco.
I was originally going to do it to a 1st gen tacoma, but I decided to just manual swap that one and leave the 5vz.
It would be sweet in a 2nd gen tacoma for sure, but I could also see a 2uz non vvti manual 2nd gen being fun too! and prolly much easier!
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (04-17-23)