Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Big Power on a Budget: Dan's NA-T SC

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-15, 11:50 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by InLyneTrbo
I believe he got the hook-up through a buddy of his, but for my milspec wiring setup, I paid close to $3500 when it was all said and done
Geez, pay to play right? I see the only real benefit to most of us is stripping out all the extra BS that we remove or delete and save weight and clutter. Otherwise it only makes sense for track cars to trash the car and then transplant the motor with ease into another body.
Old 01-03-16, 06:20 PM
CaptainDan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
who did the wiring harness and how much $$$$
Originally Posted by lexforlife
Asking same question
The harness was built by my friend Chad Sommer @ Mayhem Garage in Concord, NC. Here is their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/mayhemgargae/?fref=ts

I wish i could give you an accurate price, my assumption would be over $2000. Also, absolutely no clue on time frame either. As I said I waited over 10 weeks for mine, but I was also the guinea pig considering it was the first he's built.
Old 01-03-16, 06:30 PM
CaptainDan
Rookie

Here are a couple quick instagram videos of it running.
https://www.instagram.com/p/_AuSgOPTUk/

https://www.instagram.com/p/_QEewJPTcY/
Old 01-03-16, 06:36 PM
CaptainDan
Rookie

Since I took those videos the car has pretty much been at a stand still. I ran into some wiring issues with the gauge cluster and the 02 sensor readings and havent really done much in terms of trying to resolve the problems as I have been getting ready to move. Im planning on dropping the car off with a different friend of mine to have the last few details attended to while I move and get my new work space setup. In the mean time Im going to store the car at work and while its there Im going to fab up the rest of the exhaust and give it an alignment.
Old 01-04-16, 04:02 PM
CaptainDan
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Geez, pay to play right? I see the only real benefit to most of us is stripping out all the extra BS that we remove or delete and save weight and clutter. Otherwise it only makes sense for track cars to trash the car and then transplant the motor with ease into another body.

You're pretty much right on point there. The big benefits of going milspec are durability, flexibility, and weight reduction. Also, the Tefzel wire is silver coated copper, which has better conductive properties than that of an OE style harness's GXL wire. With that said, is the added cost vs. benefit justifiable for the vast majority of budget minded car enthusiasts?.... I don't really think so.
Old 01-06-16, 02:42 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Shielding

Don't get me wrong: the harness looks great. My concern is in your best interest.

Was shielding used for the knock, cam, and crank sensors? The OEM harness has a Faraday cage around those signals to suppress noise.

Thanks,
-scott
Old 01-11-16, 05:09 PM
CaptainDan
Rookie

Originally Posted by motorheaddown
Don't get me wrong: the harness looks great. My concern is in your best interest.

Was shielding used for the knock, cam, and crank sensors? The OEM harness has a Faraday cage around those signals to suppress noise.

Thanks,
-scott

Scott,
Here is the best picture I could find. The shielded wires are at the core of the harness.

Old 01-11-16, 05:58 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow this is an awesome build, one thing Ive always wondered about the NAT coil on plug is does the adjustment of your distributor still matter? Like on an NA does it still have an effect on the timing and tune?
Any inpu would be great this has had me wondering
Old 01-15-16, 05:41 PM
CaptainDan
Rookie

Originally Posted by SCFactory
Wow this is an awesome build, one thing Ive always wondered about the NAT coil on plug is does the adjustment of your distributor still matter? Like on an NA does it still have an effect on the timing and tune?
Indeed it does matter. All standalone ecus have a timing sync feature of some sort, all you do is lock the timing on the ecu and use the dizzy adjustment to dial it in with a timing light. Not hard to do at all.
Old 01-16-16, 12:24 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SCFactory
I had wondered the same thing but thought it was a noob question

Originally Posted by CaptainDan
Indeed it does matter. All standalone ecus have a timing sync feature of some sort, all you do is lock the timing on the ecu and use the dizzy adjustment to dial it in with a timing light. Not hard to do at all.
Good to know.

Any updates? I showed my boss your wiring harness, we had car boners. no homo