Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

water spots

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-03, 07:37 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default water spots

hi, i did a serach and my eyes hurt from diff opinions, so i wanted a fesh opinion on how to remove water spots from the car. yesterday i washed the car and waxed but i noticed that i could get some water spots off the roof or hood anf trunk, i waxed real hard but that wouldn't go away. now i know they r from rain the other day and and my car sitting in the sun all day but , one day and the spots stick? i'm from florida so it rains and than theirs sun all day. everyday almost, is their any way to gwet the water spots out with hurting the clear coat or creating scratches? i read about vinigar but scared too use that on my car, is thier a product i could rub in those places that would the spots out?, or do i need to have it wet sanded ? help!

Adrian
Old 05-10-03, 07:41 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trace mineral deposits that cause this can be removed with white vinegar IF they haven't etched into the paint. If they've been on only a short while it's unlikely they've had time to etch so,,,

Get yourself a sponge, and wipe the vinegar onto the car (make sure the car surface is clean-wash first if necessary). Let the vinegar sit 2-3 minutes, then rinse thoroughly. Do one panel/area at a time, don't wipe the vinegar on the whole car at once.

It works extremely well for non-etched deposits. You of course will have to re-wax the car, or the parts of it you try to remedy. Dealerships have been known to charge customers $100 to do this very thing. Good luck.

P.S. If they don't come out with the vinegar, They are etched in, and you have to use a polish or compound to remove them. Wet sanding should be a LAST resort.

Last edited by Guitarman; 05-10-03 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-10-03, 07:55 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

thank u very much . when u say wash thoroughly, should i just hit it with water or use a wet cloth or something too wash out the vinigar?
Old 05-10-03, 08:00 PM
Guitarman

Default Just water

You just need to flush it with water thoroughly.

Also-don't do it in the sun, you don't want the vinegar to evaporate or it won't have time to work.

Last edited by Guitarman; 05-10-03 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-10-03, 08:04 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

ok . one last question if i can? i read some people use just white vinigar and i read some use 50% water 50% vinigar. which have u done or should i use. also when u say wipe it on with a sponge just apply it and let it sit or wipe it on in circular motions . sorry 4 all the qusetions , want to make sure b4 i try 2marrow.

thanx
Adrian
Old 05-10-03, 10:58 PM
Guitarman

Doesn't matter how you wipe it on really, straight lines are fine, you just want coverage.

You can apply it to a slightly wet car, NP, the wetter it is the more it will dilute the vinegar, but that may not matter if the mineral deposits that caused the spotting are recent enough.