Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Paint has no give in for rain???

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-13, 02:07 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paint has no give in for rain???

i had a water spot issue from winter when i let a dirty car sit under the sun during rainy season for 3-4 weeks..rain, sun, rain, sun, rain, sun, so couldn't get it washed. had a lot of water spots after i washed it, but ok, was a long period of time so was expected. paid a pretty penny to get it polished, even though, not all spots were removed, had to wet sand to get it completely removed.

fast forward to last week. had the car washed on thu, it unexpectedly rained on sat, car was parked in garage on sun, was exposed to sun on mon and today, i busted out the waterless wash and to my dismay, ALL of the waters spots have etched in the paint. i planned on getting the car washed this week, but i would think i would at least have a few days grace period.

wtf?so if you don't immediately wash the car after rain, you are going to get pretty permanent water spots?

Last edited by modthispny; 07-23-13 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-23-13, 02:38 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

what color is ur car.
Old 07-23-13, 02:43 PM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to also remember that the rain is not always just water.. a lot of pollutants come down in that rain water and sometimes the rain can be acidic.
Old 07-23-13, 02:51 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

black, and yea i know, but rain is now another element we have to watch out for? i didn't think we got too much acid rain in so.cal.
Old 07-23-13, 03:35 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

try CG waterspot remove... if you have a garage why is the car parked outside. my car is always in the garage. i never leave the car in the driveway. i have OC 2.0 on the car and i use OCW after every wash, so i don't have problems with spots.
Old 07-23-13, 05:24 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
try CG waterspot remove... if you have a garage why is the car parked outside. my car is always in the garage. i never leave the car in the driveway. i have OC 2.0 on the car and i use OCW after every wash, so i don't have problems with spots.
work! at work it sits under the sun. so its annoying.

will try cg waterspot remove.

thanks
Old 07-24-13, 06:22 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Sounds like you need to do a couple of things... 1) really amp up your protection - seal/wax VERY often (apply spray wax after EVERY wash & continue to apply proper sealant/wax regularly as well), or next time you have the car polished, have the detailer apply a permanent coating such as Opti-Coat2.0. and 2) Wash frequently. Lexus has very soft paint, and on top of that, you have black paint. When black sits in the sun, it heats up significantly more than a lighter colored paint which makes the paint even softer and more vulnerable to damage. Try parking in shade if possible. Without adequate protection, it does not take much time at all for your clear coat to become etched.
Old 07-24-13, 08:00 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
i didn't think we got too much acid rain in so.cal.
LA ranks pretty high up in regard to smog issues...
Old 07-24-13, 08:33 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

work! at work it sits under the sun. so its annoying.

will try cg waterspot remove.

thanks
ah, i see... try and keep as much protection as you can (without over doing it) on that OB. Chemical Guys water spot remover is a great product, hopefully that helps. like Z has stated, throw a coat of OC 2.0 on and spray wax after every wash (as i do). it all depends how you care for your car, if done properly then you won't have any problems. you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Sounds like you need to do a couple of things... 1) really amp up your protection - seal/wax VERY often (apply spray wax after EVERY wash & continue to apply proper sealant/wax regularly as well), or next time you have the car polished, have the detailer apply a permanent coating such as Opti-Coat2.0. and 2) Wash frequently. Lexus has very soft paint, and on top of that, you have black paint. When black sits in the sun, it heats up significantly more than a lighter colored paint which makes the paint even softer and more vulnerable to damage. Try parking in shade if possible. Without adequate protection, it does not take much time at all for your clear coat to become etched.
agree 100%
Old 07-24-13, 11:40 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

It happened to me too (same paint). I still remember... It rained during the day that day and I felt that I needed to wash the car to wash off what was on it. I washed the car the same night. To my surprise water spots showed up everywhere. I tried a few more washes next few days and one day the car was soaked in heavy rain for hours... The spots were still there. My detailer suggested light polishing but I didn't want because my car had full paint correction before. Then my buddy Syd suggested CGWSR. I was skeptical about it but wanted to try. I was pleasantly surprised... It did the trick. This is a few weeks later but it removed those spots. Definitely give CGWSR a try and I agree the OB needs some source of protection layer, OC 2 would be a good choice. Some also suggested vinegar but I didn't try. Hope you can get those off the pain(t).
Old 07-27-13, 04:13 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i had a water spot issue from winter when i let a dirty car sit under the sun during rainy season for 3-4 weeks..rain, sun, rain, sun, rain, sun, so couldn't get it washed. had a lot of water spots after i washed it, but ok, was a long period of time so was expected. paid a pretty penny to get it polished, even though, not all spots were removed, had to wet sand to get it completely removed.

fast forward to last week. had the car washed on thu, it unexpectedly rained on sat, car was parked in garage on sun, was exposed to sun on mon and today, i busted out the waterless wash and to my dismay, ALL of the waters spots have etched in the paint. i planned on getting the car washed this week, but i would think i would at least have a few days grace period.

wtf?so if you don't immediately wash the car after rain, you are going to get pretty permanent water spots?
Did you have joe at superior shine apply a coating to your car after it was polished? I am gonna to talk to him about this today when e comes to polish my new 2014 IS
Old 07-27-13, 07:35 PM
lx470man
Lead Lap

buy a beater. I have the same color and at my work place they have freaking sprinklers that go off and the whole parking lot has a damn sprinkler on each spot so you cant even avoid them. So every damn day I have water spots that I have to remove at home. It is getting exhausting, I hate obsidian.
Old 07-29-13, 09:03 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Heck, I would park down the block and walk to work... that has to be doing terrible things to your paint.
Old 09-26-13, 04:51 AM
steven1f
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 es350 deep sea mica

Originally Posted by dstopsie
Did you have joe at superior shine apply a coating to your car after it was polished? I am gonna to talk to him about this today when e comes to polish my new 2014 IS
I"am also having joe at superior shine polish my car. Let us known how it came out and how to
keep it that way.
Old 09-26-13, 06:32 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

The battle with water spots is a never ending battle. It takes A LOT of work to properly maintain a defect free car. For many of us who use our Lexus as a daily driver, maintaining a flawless finish is simply not a reasonable task. Daily driven vehicles are subject to many challenges such getting stuck in the rain, and then left to bake in the sun immediately after the rain storm. Depending on the chemical makeup of your rain water (ie the water here in the Midwest is very hard - it contains a lot of minerals) it can take only a matter of minutes for light etching to occur on your paint.

*Note: dark colored vehicles are more at risk because the dark paint creates higher surface temperatures. These higher surface temps actually soften the paint slightly which makes it more vulnerable to damage.

^This is a black toyota... see all of the water spots? This is AFTER the car had been very thoroughly washed and decontaminated. These were all permanently etched water spots caused by water that had splashed along the side of the car during a rain storm and was left to dry and sit for a while.

^Luckily these things can typically be removed with proper machine polishing, but if you let these spots sit for too long, they can even cause clear coat failure.

Protection is key. If your vehicle is not coated with a long-lasting, semi-permanent coating (ie Opti-Coat, 22ple, Cquartz, etc) then you MUST reapply a sealant or wax several times a year. General rule of thumb is to apply a sealant every 4-6 months and if you are using a natural carnauba wax, reapply every 2-8 weeks. If you have a coating on your car (like myself) then you are not completely safe - it just buys you a little more time, but the water spots still need to be removed ASAP. Coatings can still be easily etched by hard water/acid rain.

Aside from ensuring your vehicle is properly protected, you need to wash it regularly. I mean once a week if possible, and at the very least twice a month. Use high quality products (shampoo, wash mitts, microfiber towels - NOT the towels you get at walmart!) and learn the two bucket wash method (3 buckets if you are cleaning your wheels as well - which you should be!). No one is so busy that you can't find an hour of time to wash your car - heck, I usually do mine at night... this works great because the paint is cool, and the water doesn't dry on the surface nearly as fast as it would in the daytime (even if working in shade). Avoid tunnel washes, drive through car washes, touchless washes, whatever you want to call them... the harsh chemicals used to "clean your car" will actually diminish or even remove your sealant or wax, and they don't even get your car all the way clean. Some of these places then have an employee or two waiting at the end to wipe your car down with their old, worn out towels. Well, dirty towels, plus dirt still left on your car means they are scratching your vehicle - no question about it.

For those of you who are paying good money to have a proper professional (like Joe - who I am very familiar with through the detailing world) polish your paint, you need to understand that the defects will return very quickly if you do not learn proper maintenance techniques, and you will be visiting him on a yearly basis for more polishing. I'm sure Joe will tell you the same thing.

I think it is also worth noting that bird bombs and bug guts are even more dangerous than water spots... they need to be removed as soon as you notice them. Both bird droppings and bug splatter contain acid which will literally eat away at your paint.

^Here is an example of clear coat failure caused by a bird bomb that was left on the paint for what I was told was "only about a week or so". This is not repairable via detailing and must be repainted.

Another member just created a thread the other day about the clear coat failure that he found that appears to have been caused by bird bombs.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...-on-paint.html

So remember - proper maintenance and protection are key. "Detailing" is not just something that is done by a professional. Everyone needs to keep their cars clean and protected not just because it looks pretty, but because it will save you thousands of dollars on a new paint job 5 years from now

-Zach

Quick Reply: Paint has no give in for rain???