Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

paint swirls

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-16, 06:55 PM
mikepgs350
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default paint swirls

Hello. I recently got a 2013 gs 350 in black. Gave it a good wash today. I was a bit surprised to see that the paint was pretty ****ty. It looks like dust is just embedded in the paint. I didn't think I would have 2008 acura tl issues with this much newer car. What is the best way to remove these contaminants and swirl marks? The car sure does look good from far.. Thanks!
Old 04-13-16, 07:02 PM
kchemist
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikepgs350
Hello. I recently got a 2013 gs 350 in black. Gave it a good wash today. I was a bit surprised to see that the paint was pretty ****ty. It looks like dust is just embedded in the paint. I didn't think I would have 2008 acura tl issues with this much newer car. What is the best way to remove these contaminants and swirl marks? The car sure does look good from far.. Thanks!
Use clay par to remove contaminants and do polishing to remove swirl marks. I just got a 2016 GS in black and today I did opticoat pro plus on it. Its like a permanent wax layer with 7 year warranty. Car is just look beautiful.
Old 04-13-16, 07:09 PM
mx5mike
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

With the soft dark paint that lexus uses its vital to put a coating like CQuarts, opticoat ect... once the paint has been clayed, compounded and polished the coating acts like a hard shell to defend against the swirls and contaminants. it also lasts a lot longer than wax and is worth the money.
Old 04-13-16, 07:12 PM
KJD3
Driver

The best way to remove contamination from the paint would be a good thorough wash and clay bar it after.

As far as swirls check out Chemical Guys VSS, it's a scratch and swirl remover. I bought a bottle and tried it on a could of deep scratches on my Volvo and it got the majority of them out. Here is a video of them using the VSS.

Old 04-13-16, 08:12 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will need a machine....

Check aurogeek.net

They have a lot of how to videos
Old 04-13-16, 08:26 PM
Terragotti
Driver School Candidate

They did a good job with that product
Old 04-14-16, 06:18 PM
puffdaddy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Two words, Machine Polisher
I have been using Adams Polishes for years with great results. Wolfgang is also an awesome polish. For a polisher I have the Porter Cable 7424XP for small areas and minor correction (mainly my motorcycle), and a Flex 3401 for larger areas and faster correction. Check out the instructional videos on adamspolishes.com
There are many opinions out there on what is best, but they all will get the job if used properly.
Old 04-14-16, 08:42 PM
mikepgs350
Driver

a local high end car dealership (not lexus) is offering:

The ultimate detail service, designed to restore your vehicle to "like new" condition. It includes all elements of the Gold Package, plus a complete paint reconditioning process.
  • Complete Interior Detail
  • Interior Shampoo of Mats and Carpeting
  • Leather Treatment
  • Interior / Exterior Glass
  • Meticulous Exterior Wash
  • Engine Shampoo
  • Detail Rim / Tires and Dress
  • Clay Bar Treatment of Painted Surfaces to Eliminate Surface Contaminants
  • Exterior Hand WaxA complete paint reconditioning process which includes
    • Clay bar treatment to remove surface contaminants
    • 2 stage extra cut compound to remove oxidation and medium to fine scratches
    • Single stage polish to bring back that showroom luster
    • Final hand wax to seal and protect your vehicle finish

This package for $379 or $225 for just the exterior.
Decent?
Old 04-15-16, 05:45 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't know your dealer, but I do know detailing, and I know that a proper detail including a full paint correction will take days, not hours... and anyone charging $225 is not planning on spending days working on the vehicle.

We get a lot of vehicles brought to us after other cheap detailers have screwed them up... most people would agree that you get what you pay for, so if you are expecting a perfect paint correction, it will likely cost more than that. If you're simply looking to enhance your vehicle's finish, this may be a good option for you... but I would be willing to bet you could DIY and get as good or better results.

Just some examples from my personal experience...

How we finished | How the dealership detailer finished
Name:  20140301-DSC_7471_zps939a4cba.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  401.9 KB

How the dealership buffers finished \ How we finished
Name:  20140816-DSC_2792_zps3be47607.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  666.9 KB

Let me know if you have any questions

-Zach
Old 04-15-16, 06:35 AM
mikepgs350
Driver

thanks for all the tips.
Zach, that's amazing, wow!
Well seeing as how my old man thought it was a good idea to wash the car with one of these soft bristle brooms the guys were using at the infiniti dealership yes I do have a few questions.. I just got my 2013 black gs 350 and it needs a little work.
I saw a video of that two bucket wash kit. I was going to get that..
would you mind giving me a little lesson on how to wash the car and maybe a point form procedure to get my paint looking fresh and protecting it? thank you
Old 04-15-16, 05:26 PM
puffdaddy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This will keep you busy for a while

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

http://adamspolishes.com/video

Zach is right. You get what you pay for. I don't let my cars, or bike, get bad because of careful washing practices. I still have to devote a whole day to get it "perfect". $225 is just a few hours worth of labor charges and there is no way paint can be properly correct in that amount of time.

Last edited by puffdaddy; 04-15-16 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-18-16, 06:13 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

thanks for all the tips.
Zach, that's amazing, wow!
Well seeing as how my old man thought it was a good idea to wash the car with one of these soft bristle brooms the guys were using at the infiniti dealership yes I do have a few questions.. I just got my 2013 black gs 350 and it needs a little work.
I saw a video of that two bucket wash kit. I was going to get that..
would you mind giving me a little lesson on how to wash the car and maybe a point form procedure to get my paint looking fresh and protecting it? thank you
How To Properly Wash and Dry a Car by Todd Cooperider
Old 04-24-16, 08:37 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by puffdaddy
Two words, Machine Polisher
I have been using Adams Polishes for years with great results. Wolfgang is also an awesome polish. For a polisher I have the Porter Cable 7424XP for small areas and minor correction (mainly my motorcycle), and a Flex 3401 for larger areas and faster correction. Check out the instructional videos on adamspolishes.com
There are many opinions out there on what is best, but they all will get the job if used properly.

^^^^This, i love my Porter Cable also but pretty much ANY of these sites you go to has the same things to get the jobs done on ANY Vehicle! There's a TON of how to videos out there on youtube if you're not sure how or what products to use
Old 04-25-16, 02:25 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

$140 with free shipping and not tax is a no brainer here! Add in a quality polish, sealer, wax and some pads and you will be able to experience the joy and pride of doing the car yourself along with saving all that cash paying that dealership. And you will have have the proper tools to work on your car in the future too!

http://smile.amazon.com/Griots-Garag...=sr_1_8&sr=8-8