Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

2015 Clear coat imbeded water spots. warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-16, 02:00 PM
oobersnout
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 Clear coat imbeded water spots. warranty?

I have a 15 is 250 that I've had for a little over a year. I went to put c quartz coating on it at a shop and the guy said he couldn't because there are water spots imbeded in the clear coat. Basically, once he cleaned it, waxed, ect., He put it under a heat lamp and the water spots came back. He only tested a section on the trunk, but I'm sure it's the same result for the whole car. He said he could get them out,but it wouldn't be cheap. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have yet to talk to the dealer about it...
Old 01-04-16, 05:08 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Do you have photos?

Hard water will cause severe damage to automotive paint, so it is not uncommon at all. Also, it should be considered owner neglect, and not a paint quality issue. If it was the dealer who left the car on the lot after spraying it down, then they should be to blame... however if you were in possession of the car when the damage was done, I would not expect the dealer to have anything to do with fixing it. Hard water should be removed from a vehicle immediately to avoid potential damage... much like bug guts or bird droppings should be removed immediately. This is general car care.

Please read these articles for more info:
Understanding Water Spots & How to Avoid Them by Zach McGovern
Removing Water Spots by Zach McGovern
Removing etched-in water spots and holograms from a 2010 BMW 528i by Rasky by Chad Raskovich

As Chad demonstrated in the article I linked above, an intense paint correction process can usually remove the majority of etched water damage. These services are time consuming and require a knowledgeable professional for the best results... if paired with a coating service like CQuartz, it may be rather expensive... especially if you were just hoping to pay for a "standard detail".

What were you quoted for the service if you don't mind me asking? and who are you working with to do the job?

-Zach
Old 01-04-16, 07:26 PM
oobersnout
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Do you have photos?

Hard water will cause severe damage to automotive paint, so it is not uncommon at all. Also, it should be considered owner neglect, and not a paint quality issue. If it was the dealer who left the car on the lot after spraying it down, then they should be to blame... however if you were in possession of the car when the damage was done, I would not expect the dealer to have anything to do with fixing it. Hard water should be removed from a vehicle immediately to avoid potential damage... much like bug guts or bird droppings should be removed immediately. This is general car care.

Please read these articles for more info:
Understanding Water Spots & How to Avoid Them by Zach McGovern
Removing Water Spots by Zach McGovern
Removing etched-in water spots and holograms from a 2010 BMW 528i by Rasky by Chad Raskovich

As Chad demonstrated in the article I linked above, an intense paint correction process can usually remove the majority of etched water damage. These services are time consuming and require a knowledgeable professional for the best results... if paired with a coating service like CQuartz, it may be rather expensive... especially if you were just hoping to pay for a "standard detail".

What were you quoted for the service if you don't mind me asking? and who are you working with to do the job?

-Zach
No I don't have photos. I forgot to mention my car is black. like it said they only show up when the car heats up. I went to a detailer in orange county. It was going to be 1000 for c quartz and a 2 step process to remove the small amount of surface mars. I usually jjst wash asit aat a self wash place. I never really touch the paint. After seeing the water spots problem, he bumped it up to 2500 for the correction. That, I am not willing to pay. it's just kind of a bummer in my opinion.
Old 01-04-16, 08:10 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

$2500 is pretty excessive in my opinion, unless he is sanding some of the panels as well (which would mean the water etchings are very severe), but I suppose I am not familiar with your market so what can I really say. $1000 is reasonable for the 2 step correction process and coating service. I would think a 2 step correction would remove the majority of defects. Lexus black paint is quite soft and typically easier to remove defects from than some other paint types. Are you working with Eric Schuster at Envious?

I find it interesting that you say the spots only show up when the panel is heated... if this is the case, why are they of any concern? Also, when metal panels are heated, they expand... this usually masks defects rather than exposing them.

Washing the car at a self wash place indicates that you have no way of drying it... simply spray the car off, then let it air dry? This is likely the exact reason there are water spots on the car. Even if you use their "spotless water" option, you can never be entirely sure what you're getting out of their hose is mineral free... there is always some risk that their filtration isn't functioning or needs to be replaced or something like that. Trust me... I've dealt with it on my own car and was not happy.

Pictures would help diagnose the situation.

-Zach
Old 01-04-16, 08:26 PM
oobersnout
Driver School Candidate

Yup, Eric is the one who looked at it. The issue why he didn't want to do it, is because he could have put on the coating, but as soon as it heated up, the marks would show up. I think it's more of a good customer service decision. He said he coated another black lexus a few weeks prior, and had the same issue. That's why he tested a panel on mine first.... It I paid 1000 dollars expecting to have a near perfect paint job and the protection, I'd be a little irritated if I saw water spots showing up. Thinking that the coating is supposed to prevent them. You know?

And yes, I usually just wash my car and drive it on the free way. I was trying to prevent the swirling from drying it. But I guess water marks are a bigger issue.

$2500 is pretty excessive in my opinion, unless he is sanding some of the panels as well (which would mean the water etchings are very severe), but I suppose I am not familiar with your market so what can I really say. $1000 is reasonable for the 2 step correction process and coating service. I would think a 2 step correction would remove the majority of defects. Lexus black paint is quite soft and typically easier to remove defects from than some other paint types. Are you working with Eric Schuster at Envious?

I find it interesting that you say the spots only show up when the panel is heated... if this is the case, why are they of any concern? Also, when metal panels are heated, they expand... this usually masks defects rather than exposing them.

Washing the car at a self wash place indicates that you have no way of drying it... simply spray the car off, then let it air dry? This is likely the exact reason there are water spots on the car. Even if you use their "spotless water" option, you can never be entirely sure what you're getting out of their hose is mineral free... there is always some risk that their filtration isn't functioning or needs to be replaced or something like that. Trust me... I've dealt with it on my own car and was not happy.

Pictures would help diagnose the situation.

-Zach
Old 01-04-16, 08:28 PM
oobersnout
Driver School Candidate

Btw, I have nothing against Eric or his company. He was very helpful and honest with me
Old 01-05-16, 05:12 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Nope, didn't mean to imply that Eric was doing anything wrong... just wanted to make sure you were dealing with a real pro and not someone who was just trying to con you into spending money. Eric is one of the best in the industry... he certainly knows what he is talking about, and I definitely respect his choice to inform you of the issue and not want to coat the vehicle if the vehicle cannot be polished to the level that is needed prior to coating. We've had to make the same call from time to time as well for vehicles with severe defects.

OK - if the water spots show up under normal panel temps, then I see that as an issue. When you said "heat up" I imagined they showed up when the panels were being baked with an infrared curing lamp or something. Still seems weird that they only show up in the heat.

Hope you get it all sorted out

-Zach
Old 01-05-16, 05:16 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

If you truly want to know you are getting spotless water, you can invest in a spotless water system for your home. These can be big expensive units installed by private companies, or you can purchase a portable unit such as the CR Spotless system.

These systems hook up to your water supply in line with your hose, and filter all particles & minerals out of the water. There is a display that will show you if the water is still being perfectly filtered (0.0 PPM minerals), and once the display reads something more than zero, it is time to replace the cartridge.

Another option would be to use a forced air dryer such as the Master Blaster to blow your car dry after washing. This will reduce the chances of scratching the car since you are not wiping it with a towel.

Let me know if you've got any other questions.

-Zach
Old 01-05-16, 06:42 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Pfffft. I wash my car at home and dry using a hand held squeegee and then go over the entire car with clean micro fiber towels. Just don't let the water sit for too long after washing.
Old 01-06-16, 08:03 PM
oobersnout
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, he put it under a lamp and he said he spots came back.

Nope, didn't mean to imply that Eric was doing anything wrong... just wanted to make sure you were dealing with a real pro and not someone who was just trying to con you into spending money. Eric is one of the best in the industry... he certainly knows what he is talking about, and I definitely respect his choice to inform you of the issue and not want to coat the vehicle if the vehicle cannot be polished to the level that is needed prior to coating. We've had to make the same call from time to time as well for vehicles with severe defects.

OK - if the water spots show up under normal panel temps, then I see that as an issue. When you said "heat up" I imagined they showed up when the panels were being baked with an infrared curing lamp or something. Still seems weird that they only show up in the heat.

Hope you get it all sorted out

-Zach