Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How to keep the paint finish looking new?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-15, 06:34 AM
Nedg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to keep the paint finish looking new?

We have just taken delivery on a cashmere colored 2015 ES 350. Oh my, what a beautiful car! We want to do our best at keeping it shiny and beautiful and scratch free. We welcome any suggestions as to how to keep a new finish looking new. I have looked through this forum and see lots of good information on restoring an older finish, but I found very little and how to keep a new one Looking good. . Any help from this wise group would be appreciated.
Old 11-27-15, 07:28 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

This article walks you through the basics of how to properly wash and dry a car using the 3 bucket wash method.

This process drastically reduces the chances of damaging your paint through routine maintenance.... which is the biggest cause of swirls, scratches, and marring of the paint.

How To Properly Wash and Dry a Car by Todd Cooperider

You must also keep the paint protected to help resist dirt and environmental contamination. Here is some information on the 3 basic categories of paint protection.

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
There are 3 basic categories of paint protection on the market these days: waxes, sealants, and coatings. I will go into some detail on these below, but I encourage you to please ask me if you have any further questions. All of these products serve the same general purpose - protect your paint - however they are all unique in their properties.

Waxes - These are products typically based on natural ingredients such as carnauba wax. Wax provides a very thin, short lived barrier on the surface. A true natural wax will provide protection for an average of 6-8 weeks, and should be applied very regularly to maintain adequate protection. Duration varies greatly depending on your environment, and if you are someone who does not enjoy regularly detailing their vehicle, I would suggest using another type of paint protection.

Examples: Menzerna Color Lock, Chemical Guys Pete's 53, Pinnacle Souveran

Sealants - These products are an evolution of the natural wax. A polymer sealant is a liquid product that is based on synthetic polymers rather than natural waxes. These products work just the same as waxes do in that they provide a thin barrier on top of your paint, however a polymer sealant is considerably more durable with most of them lasting between 4-6 months instead of weeks. Most of these products are very easy to apply either by hand or machine, and are recommended for added durability compared to waxes. Some people claim a wax provides a "warmer glow", so if you wish, you can top a sealant with a wax.

Examples: Blackfire Wet Diamond, Menzerna Power Lock

Coatings - Ceramic Paint Coatings are the latest evolution in paint protection. These coatings provide a layer of protection that is hundreds of times thicker than the average layer of wax. This barrier is also incredibly chemical resistant, and harder than most clear coats when fully cured. These products last for years, not weeks or months, when properly applied and maintained. There is no doubt that a paint coating provides the absolute best protection. There are some downfalls to a coating, too... they are rather expensive, they require a tremendous amount of prep work, and they are not as easy to apply as traditional waxes or sealants. For this reason, it is often recommended to consult a professional detailer to have a paint coating installed unless you're well versed in the cleaning, decontamination, and paint correction processes required before installing a paint coating.

The Benefits of a Paint Coating by Zach McGovern

Examples: CQuartz Finest (professional installation only), Opti Coat (professional installation only), 22ple VX3, Optimum Gloss Coat

Hope that helps

-Zach

You can find a tremendous amount of information on the Detailed Image Detailing Guide as well as their Ask-A-Pro Blog.

Let me know if you have any specific questions

-Zach
-Zach