Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Favorite Car Wash Detergent

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-15, 01:38 PM
NoRegrets1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Favorite Car Wash Detergent

Greetings,

I've been using Mother's California Gold Carnuba Wash and Wax for washing my new 2015 ES350. It seems to do a nice job of washing the car, but it seems to also strip the Collinite carnuba wax that I use as well.

I'm wondering what your favorite car wash detergent is that hopefully does not strip down your wax.

Secondly, what is your favorite wax?

Thanks much!
Old 08-18-15, 02:03 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

The shampoo you are using should not strip wax as it also contains wax... however you should carefully read the instructions of all products to ensure you are not using too strong of a concentration. Many shampoos are highly concentrated and you only need a very small amount for normal cleaning. Follow the instructions on the label of each product.

Likewise, it is also very important that you understand proper washing & drying techniques. Utilizing the 3 bucket wash method is an important part of maintaining your vehicle. Using other processes may lead to more unsightly swirls and scratches in the paint in just a short amount of time. Check out this article for more information.

How To Properly Wash and Dry a Car by Todd Cooperider

When it comes to shampoo, there are plenty of great options. I personally really enjoy Optimum Car Wash. It is very slick, smells amazing, and will not strip wax when used properly.

You may consider a synthetic sealant instead of traditional waxes as they are more durable, and very easy to use. I would recommend BlackFire Wet Diamond or Menzerna Power Lock.

You can layer a wax on top of a sealant for added protection if you'd like. I really enjoy Chemical Guys Pete's 53 or Pinnacle Souveran waxes.

Hope that helps!

Let me know if you've got any other questions.

-Zach
Old 08-18-15, 05:41 PM
NoRegrets1
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Zach for your detailed reply!

Do you know what the difference is between the the Pinnacle Soveran Wax and the Pinnacle Signature Series Carnauba Wax II ?

Have you had a chance to try the Wolfgang Füzion Estate Wax yet? If so, how did that compare with the Pinnacle Products?

Many thanks!
Old 08-18-15, 06:56 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRegrets1
Thank you Zach for your detailed reply!

Do you know what the difference is between the the Pinnacle Soveran Wax and the Pinnacle Signature Series Carnauba Wax II ?
My pleasure... I am not sure of the chemical differences, but many threads will lead you to believe that Souveran is more of a "show" wax that provides an excellent glow that a high end carnauaba wax is known for, and SSII is more durable/longer lasting. Check out forums like Autogeek for plenty of threads comparing the two... I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I really love Souveran over top of a sealant like Blackfire Wet Diamond

Have you had a chance to try the Wolfgang Füzion Estate Wax yet? If so, how did that compare with the Pinnacle Products?

Many thanks!
I haven't tried this one, but again do some searching on Autogeek and I am sure you will find comparisons among the two products.

-Zach
Old 08-19-15, 05:09 AM
NoRegrets1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
My pleasure... I am not sure of the chemical differences, but many threads will lead you to believe that Souveran is more of a "show" wax that provides an excellent glow that a high end carnauaba wax is known for, and SSII is more durable/longer lasting. Check out forums like Autogeek for plenty of threads comparing the two... I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I really love Souveran over top of a sealant like Blackfire Wet Diamond

I haven't tried this one, but again do some searching on Autogeek and I am sure you will find comparisons among the two products.

-Zach
Thank you Zach for your continued help and contributions to the forum! You are certainly an asset.
No Regrets
Old 08-19-15, 07:49 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been using CarPro Reset and like it. Chem Guys GlossWorkz was good too
Old 08-19-15, 03:10 PM
NoRegrets1
Driver School Candidate

Just a quick update in regards to wax....

I just ordered an 8oz. jar of Wolfgang Fuzion Carnauba Polymer Estate Wax, a 16 x 24 Wolfgang Concours-Series Microfiber Towel, and a foam wax applicator for just $50! The manufacturer accidentally poured this wax into the wrong jar and their labeling does not fit correctly and as a result, they are liquidating these. I figured $50 for 8oz in a mislabeled jar versus their normal retail price of $195 for the same 8oz in a wooden box is worth trying out to see if I like it.

Also, wanted to share with others in case the sticker shock of $195 was preventing them from trying it.

I still need to order some new washing shampoo and tire dressing yet. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 08-30-15, 02:50 PM
NoRegrets1
Driver School Candidate

Just a quick update in regards to wax....

I just ordered an 8oz. jar of Wolfgang Fuzion Carnauba Polymer Estate Wax, a 16 x 24 Wolfgang Concours-Series Microfiber Towel, and a foam wax applicator for just $50! The manufacturer accidentally poured this wax into the wrong jar and their labeling does not fit correctly and as a result, they are liquidating these. I figured $50 for 8oz in a mislabeled jar versus their normal retail price of $195 for the same 8oz in a wooden box is worth trying out to see if I like it.

Also, wanted to share with others in case the sticker shock of $195 was preventing them from trying it.

I still need to order some new washing shampoo and tire dressing yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Well, I was able to devote some time to my ES350 and tried the Wolfgang Fuzion Carnauba Polymer Estate Wax for the first time.

It went on and came off incredibly easy! No smearing, no need to let dry to a haze before buffing off with MF towel. The reflections are awesome and deep and clear. It doesn't stain any of the plastic or black rubber trim and it smells good too! I put two coats on simply because it went so fast and easy! Afterwards, I was out and about town running several errands ( got a few nice looks from people) and I looked the car over went I got home. No dust! I always thought my Collinite was a great carnauba wax, but it accumalated dust like a magnet for some reason. I'm very, very happy with this Wolfgang so far, so much so I think I'll order another 8oz tub if I can still get it for the $50! I'm hoping it will last for a while as well. I'll probably wax it 3 or 4 more times before our winter weather sets in here in Wisconsin.

I don't know if this was the best place to put this, but I thought I'd just mention it.

Best wishes,
No Regrets
Old 08-30-15, 03:24 PM
charlesatl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also got the wax so the sale is still on will report results.
Old 08-31-15, 08:17 AM
NoRegrets1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by charlesatl
I also got the wax so the sale is still on will report results.
I hope you like as much as I do. I'm placing a another order for it right now.
Old 09-08-15, 06:33 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Just bought and used the Zymol Natural Car wash cleaner yesterday. Uses Coconut and a few other natural cleaners in the blend. Smells so good after I was done, I immediately went to the store and bought ingredients to make a Pina Colada. lol.
Old 09-08-15, 07:10 AM
weirdone
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Meguiar's G7164 Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner. It's the best.
Old 09-08-15, 05:02 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Optimum is my choice for weekly washing, chemical guys citrus shampoo for wax/sealant stripping.

For sealants, I use CarPro Hydr02 and Blackfire Crystal Seal.