Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cleaning/caring for black trim

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-15, 02:51 PM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cleaning/caring for black trim

What is everyone using for the black trim around the wheel wells? Obviously I'll clean it with the regular car wash, but I would like to find something to protect the plastic.

I have some of this, but it sounds like it's more for plastic pieces that need to be restored.

Old 05-16-15, 03:14 PM
drifter123
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may not be aware but there is a forum section dedicated to automotive care and detailing. I just found out myself. Go to top of screen, Forums/Lexus Special Interest Forums/Automotive Care and Detailing. They have been very helpful and I think this is a great question.
Old 05-16-15, 03:16 PM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Originally Posted by drifter123
You may not be aware but there is a forum section dedicated to automotive care and detailing. I just found out myself. Go to top of screen, Forums/Lexus Special Interest Forums/Automotive Care and Detailing. They have been very helpful and I think this is a great question.
I considered posting there but I was thinking the NX is the first Lexus with those types of panels. I'll dig around there and see if I can find anything good though
Old 05-22-15, 06:00 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

You should certainly post these types of questions in our Detailing Forum Next Time (moderator, please move to Detailing Forum)

If you want to protect your new trim, and keep it looking good for an extended period of time with minimal effort on your part, I would highly recommend investing in a trim coating. A trim coating will provide durable protection that will outlast any traditional trim restorer/protection product.

My product of choice is CarPro DLUX.

Product Review: CarPro DLUX Plastic and Wheel Coating by Zach McGovern

This product will make even brand new trim look deeper and darker.

^Wiper cowl on brand new C7 Corvette

^Front end of brand new Cayman

Aside from enhancing the appearance, it will also provide incredible protection and make your trim a breeze to clean. Check out how well the water beads up on my wiper cowl that was coated with DLUX over a year before this photo was taken!

Best of all, it is incredibly easy to apply.

Directions for Plastic:
Make sure the surface is cool and dry. (Do not apply to hot surfaces or in direct sun.)
Scrub surface with an all purpose cleaner and microfiber towel
Rinse while agitating with microfiber towel to remove all residue from APC
Dry or allow to dry completely.
Wipe surface with Carpro Eraser (or diluted isoproyl alcohol).
Wet the applicator with 5-6 drops of DLUX and spread evenly across the surface.
On textured plastic simply apply even and walk away
On smooth plastic apply less thick and wipe to ensure even finish

Let me know if you've got any other questions, and again, please check out the Detailing Forum in the future!

-Zach McGovern
Old 05-22-15, 04:56 PM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Thanks Zach!

I ended up using the stuff I referenced earlier, since I already had it on hand. It didn't seem like it was "too much," it applied easily and gave the black some depth.

I'm going to pick up the product you mentioned to use when the Meguiar's runs out, but for now, it seemed to do a nice enough job.
Old 05-23-15, 06:48 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Another option... I use Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax (a.k.a. D156 Synthetic Xpress Spray Wax in their detailer lineup) after every wash. This is really a sealant and not a wax. It leaves a good patina and protects well. I use it on the whole exterior, paint, trim and glass.