Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What do you all use for swirls?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-15, 02:47 PM
charlesatl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you all use for swirls?

I decided to post this since I saw in another thread that other people buy flashlight to look for defects in paint and I thought I was the only who did that.

Anyway I have a black ls460l and when I park it in the sun I am always noticing new swirl marks or maybe a minor scratch. Since this is a black car and evidently a career for me what do you use for swirls?

Thank you very much
Old 04-28-15, 05:51 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

In order to remove swirls, you must remove enough paint to level the surface (unless you intend on temporarily filling the defects to hide swirls).

Assuming you want to remove them, you will need a dual action machine polisher along with a set of pads and polishing compounds of varying cutting ability.

Here is a basic starter package that I recommend to many beginners.

With these products, and some practice, you will be able to safely and effectively correct paint.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
-Zach
Old 04-29-15, 03:12 PM
charlesatl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you very much
Old 05-02-16, 04:18 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I use 3M Ultra fine machine polish. I don't use my buffer. I put it on by hand. My finish is near perfect for the average observer, so the buffer is not required. If you have deep marks we're talking something different. But for minor swirls and lines that were probably caused by washing, hand applied Ultra fine polishing polish works well.
Old 05-03-16, 04:27 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
I use 3M Ultra fine machine polish. I don't use my buffer. I put it on by hand. My finish is near perfect for the average observer, so the buffer is not required. If you have deep marks we're talking something different. But for minor swirls and lines that were probably caused by washing, hand applied Ultra fine polishing polish works well.
What color is your car?

Two thumbs down for the "by hand" method. You could not give me a million dollars to convince me a buffer is not needed. When you see side by side comparison, you will agree also.
Old 05-03-16, 06:03 PM
FastFord
Racer

Of course a buffer gives better results. But, why would you use it when you have a new finish with some so-called self-correcting paint.

I have done over 1000 cars with a buffer and had phenomenal results. Even won best in show a few times.

I got my RX from the dealer, went home, clayed it, and then used ultra fine finishing polish, by hand, then sealed it.

My point is for the average user doing by hand with the right product will give the results they are probably looking for. Throw a buffer into the hands of someone that is curious how to remove swirls and you're probably going to a professional to fix it.
Old 05-03-16, 06:26 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FastFord
Of course a buffer gives better results. But, why would you use it when you have a new finish with some so-called self-correcting paint.

I have done over 1000 cars with a buffer and had phenomenal results. Even won best in show a few times.

I got my RX from the dealer, went home, clayed it, and then used ultra fine finishing polish, by hand, then sealed it.

My point is for the average user doing by hand with the right product will give the results they are probably looking for. Throw a buffer into the hands of someone that is curious how to remove swirls and you're probably going to a professional to fix it.
As long as you are happy with your own results who the hell am I to tell you otherwise right? Use what works and satisfies you.
Old 05-04-16, 03:26 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

sonax cut max and a meguiars MF cutting pad.
Old 05-07-16, 12:41 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

With any powered device it is easy to cut through the clear coat then you have a mess. Powered polishing is for professionals that don't want to wear them selves out. But I bet even they remove more clear coat than is needed.
Old 05-07-16, 12:54 PM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dicer
With any powered device it is easy to cut through the clear coat then you have a mess. Powered polishing is for professionals that don't want to wear them selves out. But I bet even they remove more clear coat than is needed.
Definitely not true of orbital polishers lacking forced rotation. Definitely true of rotary polishers, if the operator is not experienced.

Do enough searching and you'll find numbers on the amount of clear removed by various combinations of polisher, pad, and polish. Last time I checked I estimated my usual pad and polish combo on an orbital was removing 2-2.5% of the clear each time I polished. With two years between machine polishing, that gives me about 25 years before I need to worry about clearcoat failure. Pretty sure the car will gone by then.
Old 05-09-16, 06:49 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
Dual Action/Random Orbital polishers are extremely safe, even in the hands of a complete beginner.

Light polishing, when done properly, is very non invasive and removes a negligible amount of material. It is full correction work that removes more material due to the severity of defects, so if a car is properly maintained and never has to undergo an extensive correction, you will likely be able to do light polishing work several times a year throughout your ownership without ever having an issue. I personally only polish my car every 2-3 years, but that is because I have almost no time to keep track of my car, and I only have light wash induced marring... not swirls or scratches... so it doesnt really bother me for that period of time.

-Zach
Old 05-12-16, 08:22 AM
FastFord
Racer

I use one or two of these to get rid of swirls.

Last edited by FastFord; 05-12-16 at 08:23 AM. Reason: addtion
Old 05-12-16, 06:05 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Also, don't use the car wash with brushes, wash your car with a 5 gallon bucket w/ gritt guard and all the other needed things.
Old 05-13-16, 07:39 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

You can definitely strike through the clearcoat with a DA like a Flex. PC and other free floating assembly DA's are pretty idiot proof. Just gotta watch that pressure and edges. If you know a panel is repainted, definitely take more caution as that's when you typically will run into these kinds of issues, especially if it's a poorly done repaint.