Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Simoniz Clay Bar Kit - Garbage

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-15, 07:24 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts
Default Simoniz Clay Bar Kit - Garbage

Just wanted to post a quick review of my experience with Simoniz's claybar,

First of all, I should add that I have previously used Meguiars Clay Bar Kit, which was excellent.

When I first opened up the Simoniz kit, I was encouraged by the decent packaging, especially the nice tin box that the clay came in. The clay looked good too - two nice, blue-colored bricks. A bottlle of QD was there, as well as a MF cloth.

The "clay", is GARBAGE. I tried for a long time to get it to become pliable and quickly felt that this was not clay, but some weird synthetic glob, that seemed exactly like Silly Putty. I struggled to try it on my car and it was hopeless. It literally began crumbling apart and had no pliability to it. I got so frustrated with it, that I threw both bars out. Fortunately, the kit was on sale, so it wasn't a complete wash (no pun intended), as I got a bottle of QD and a MF cloth out of it.

I did a quick read up on some reviews, and it seems I'm not the only one who had problems with the clay.

Going back to the Meguiars.
Old 04-25-15, 07:47 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

You should try the nano skin clay mitt cut your clay time down and last longer.
Old 04-25-15, 09:32 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 440 Likes on 363 Posts

I didn't know Simoniz was still around. I haven't seen their stuff around since I was kid.

I really liked the Meguairs kit I had as well. I've heard great things about the Nano Skin and Chemical Guys clay bars.
Old 04-25-15, 11:34 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Simoniz is big up here in Canada over the last 5 years. They make everything from pressure washers to wax and are mainly carried at Walmart and Canadian Tire. This is their website: http://www.simoniz.ca/en/
Old 04-27-15, 06:49 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

+1 on the Meguairs Kit...I've used in on a couple of my cars and had excellent results also. I will be buying it again.
Old 04-27-15, 06:54 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by laobo979
You should try the nano skin clay mitt cut your clay time down and last longer.
I heard those cause minor marring unless you plan to polish the car afterwards.
Old 04-27-15, 10:33 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Mothers is pretty good to... I like Mequires and Mothers
Old 04-28-15, 06:09 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jbreezie
I heard those cause minor marring unless you plan to polish the car afterwards.
I saw them at the Vancouver International Auto Show last month. I was intrigued, but not impressed. When I discussed it with the detailing expert, he kinda shrugged his shoulders and seemed indifferent to the product and said he preferred the old fashioned way. I tend to agree.

Lexus paint is very soft and I've read that the Nanoskins and clay towels can mar our paint.
Old 04-28-15, 06:23 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I saw them at the Vancouver International Auto Show last month. I was intrigued, but not impressed. When I discussed it with the detailing expert, he kinda shrugged his shoulders and seemed indifferent to the product and said he preferred the old fashioned way. I tend to agree.

Lexus paint is very soft and I've read that the Nanoskins and clay towels can mar our paint.
The Nanoskin Mitts, Nanoskin Pads, and Speedy Prep Towels are invaluable in the right applications. These clay substitutes save an incredible amount of time when it comes to removing bonded contamination from the paint. In general, all of these synthetic clays are certainly way more prone to marring the paint... for this reason, I do only recommend using them if you plan on polishing the paint afterwards.

We use speedy prep towels and nanoskin mitts on nearly every vehicle we service since we only do correction work. We are able to fully 'clay' even a heavily contaminated vehicle in WAY less time than it takes with traditional clay. On softer paints, this does leave some marring, but in my testing this marring is very easily removed with even a light polish.

For maintenance decontamination that will not be followed by polishing, traditional fine grade clay bars are less likely to mar the paint assuming you use enough lubrication.

We recommend using Nanoskin Glide as lubrication with both traditional clay and synthetic clays... we've used many products as clay lube over the years and this is our favorite

Explaining the Decontamination Process (Part 1) by Zach McGovern
Explaining the Decontamination Process (Part 2)
by Zach McGovern

Let me know if you've got any other questions.
-Zach