Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What are the Best Products for a Wet Deep Gloss on Silver Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-14, 10:54 AM
ChitChat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the Best Products for a Wet Deep Gloss on Silver Paint?

I have a 2010 RX 350 that I try to hand wash at least once a week. The color is Tungsten Pearl (silver) which has a nice glossy finish, but I want to get a deeper gloss that looks wet. Any suggestions on what products would achieve this on silver paint? If possible, something quick and easy.

Right now I'm using Poorboy's Super Slick & Suds Wash followed by Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer.
Old 03-11-14, 10:59 AM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i use wolfgang deep gloss sealant on my graphite grey pearl lexus. it gives me a deep and dark gloss to it when finished. not sure how it would turn out on your silver but im sure it would still give you that deep gloss you want.
Old 03-11-14, 11:24 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

The answer is the same for all vehicles... it is all in the prep and not so much in the LSP.

The vehicle needs to be properly washed, decontaminated with IronX & Detailing Clay, then Polished, and then protected. It is the polishing process that will help enhance the gloss to the fullest extent.

Here are some examples of lighter colored vehicles to give you hope

Old 03-11-14, 01:48 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The BMW in the pics really pops. Sometimes difficult to achieve with a white car. It looks great.
Old 03-11-14, 02:20 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The BMW in the pics really pops. Sometimes difficult to achieve with a white car. It looks great.
That is called getting lucky with the perfect amount of clouds and sun in the sky to create nice ambient light for the "after" pics

You'll notice that light/bright colored paint seems to lack reflection in bright daylight, when in reality it is just being washed out because the bright paint is too dramatic of a difference for our eyes to pick up compared to the surrounding areas (like an overexposed image). Therefore in lower ambient light, like in the garage, the paint really takes on an entirely different look.
Old 03-11-14, 03:07 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i agree with Z... if the car isn't prepped properly, then you will not achieve major glossicity... lol that last word is a new one. not yet part of the english language.
Old 03-11-14, 03:33 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Thought I'd chime in as a fellow tungsten pearl RX owner. I couldn't agree more about the prep part. Twice a year I do the IronX/clay/polish routine before applying a sealant and wax. Then in between I hand wash every week year round with CG HoneyDew Snow Foam (mad suds even in cold water). Unfortunately the weekly bath hasn't happened as often as I would've liked with the crazy cold and snowy weather this winter. So a few weeks ago during a semi warm spell, I took out the power washer to remove most of the surface dirt, did the regular wash and then hit the 450h with Sonax Hybrid NPT Paint Cleaner to clean the surface a little more and add wax.

For the semi annual details, lately I've been using Sonax Profiline with the PC followed by Menzerna Power Lock Sealant and Color Lock Carnuba Wax. The latter two can be applied by hand. After I'm done, the paint is much brighter. Optimum is a great QD. Last year I switched to CG Speed Wipe. I think it gives tungsten pearl more depth. CG doesn't have OPT's bubble gum smell but it's alright.

A pic of the RXh taken last month after using Sonax NPT Hybrid Paint Cleaner. Unfortunately the sun was nowhere to be found.
Attached Thumbnails What are the Best Products for a Wet Deep Gloss on Silver Paint?-img_0699.jpg  
Old 03-11-14, 03:40 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i agree with Z... if the car isn't prepped properly, then you will not achieve major glossicity... lol that last word is a new one. not yet part of the english language.
^hahaha I'm going to have to start using that word!
Old 03-12-14, 07:23 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Got a quick was and wax. Really happy with the way it came out. I haven't had much free time for some good TLC lately.