Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

drying car with quick detail and waffle weave or sheeting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 09:43 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

For those of you who use a leaf blower, you should consider upgrading to the Metro Blaster or Master Blaster. The master blaster is ridiculous... I was never a fan of using a leaf blower, but the MB really makes drying quick and easy when you've got a nice layer of protection on the car.

The Metro Sidekick is also a great tool... you may think your car is dry after using a towel, but this little thing makes it quick and easy to blow all of the excess water out of cracks and crevices without having to get out a big leaf blower. It is small and it works way better than any leaf blower I have used when it comes to drying!
Old 03-12-14, 01:27 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
For those of you who use a leaf blower, you should consider upgrading to the Metro Blaster or Master Blaster. The master blaster is ridiculous... I was never a fan of using a leaf blower, but the MB really makes drying quick and easy when you've got a nice layer of protection on the car.

The Metro Sidekick is also a great tool... you may think your car is dry after using a towel, but this little thing makes it quick and easy to blow all of the excess water out of cracks and crevices without having to get out a big leaf blower. It is small and it works way better than any leaf blower I have used when it comes to drying!
i second the metro blaster... i have the sidekick. i dry the car with it but i love using it to get the wheels dry.
Old 03-12-14, 06:46 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I normally use my cordless leaf blower. It gets pretty much all the water out. Any leftover water (very little), will be dried using my waffle weave.
Old 06-07-14, 09:13 PM
tak06
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my Metro Master Blaster yesterday, this thing is truly amazing, cuts my drying time to 15 minutes and for the rims, it's a must. It's endorsed by Jay Leno / Wayne Carini of Chasing Classic Cars and the National Corvette Museum it's good enough for me. It's fairly pricey ($300+) blasts warm, filtered air at 59,000 + ft. per minute with it's 2x4hp motors, only thing is you need a dedicated 20 amp cct. otherwise expect the fuse to blow. It's also Made in the USA, great quality product!

https://www.metrovacworld.com/

Last edited by tak06; 06-07-14 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-09-14, 03:41 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My method is very simple:

1. Sheet water with slow flowing water assuming wax/sealant/paint coating is still working good.
2. Blot dry with "Absorber" with NO wiping. Lay it on the surface, use hand to smoothly slide on the absorber (not paint surface) and LIFT the absorber up. Lay it on another area, and then LIFT the absorber up. Repeat until the whole car dry.

My car has little to no swirl over 3 years with this method.
Old 10-22-14, 11:59 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

if you use QD after the car is dry after a wash you need to work it in and wipe it off so you have to use a mf towel to do so, will that cause swirls?

maintenance washes i use ONR and then dry the car but spray QD on top of it
Old 10-23-14, 09:53 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Alexbenz
if you use QD after the car is dry after a wash you need to work it in and wipe it off so you have to use a mf towel to do so, will that cause swirls? maintenance washes i use ONR and then dry the car but spray QD on top of it
Quick detailer does not need to be "worked in". When used as a drying aid, simply mist the QD onto your drying towel or even directly onto the paint (very fine mist, use little product) then very lightly wipe away to dry the vehicle. The qd should simply wipe away with the remaining water without the need for additional buffing or working. If you have to go over the quick detailer many times to remove it then you are using too much product or just using a poor product.

The goal here is to provide additional lubrication such that a dry towel is not being used on mostly dry paint. This creates more friction than a slightly damp surface and can therefore lead to marring or scratches.
Old 10-23-14, 10:11 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Quick detailer does not need to be "worked in". When used as a drying aid, simply mist the QD onto your drying towel or even directly onto the paint (very fine mist, use little product) then very lightly wipe away to dry the vehicle. The qd should simply wipe away with the remaining water without the need for additional buffing or working. If you have to go over the quick detailer many times to remove it then you are using too much product or just using a poor product.

The goal here is to provide additional lubrication such that a dry towel is not being used on mostly dry paint. This creates more friction than a slightly damp surface and can therefore lead to marring or scratches.
which of the air units would you recommend? i bought the chemical guys air blower for it's size it's powerful but not like the ones you posted...i've heard about them but there not cheap but well worth it.

i didn't know that about the QD, i always thought you needed to spray it on the car with a good amount and work it in like a wax...what if you don't use it as a aid to dry the car? I bought a waffle weave towel and ordered some very plush border less towels from the rag factory that are super soft, believe there the Korean made ones instead of the china ones.. I don't see how those will scratch the paint but since i use ONR can't really use a air blower to get rid of the water since there isn't much.
Old 10-24-14, 08:38 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Alexbenz
which of the air units would you recommend? i bought the chemical guys air blower for it's size it's powerful but not like the ones you posted...i've heard about them but there not cheap but well worth it.

i didn't know that about the QD, i always thought you needed to spray it on the car with a good amount and work it in like a wax...what if you don't use it as a aid to dry the car? I bought a waffle weave towel and ordered some very plush border less towels from the rag factory that are super soft, believe there the Korean made ones instead of the china ones.. I don't see how those will scratch the paint but since i use ONR can't really use a air blower to get rid of the water since there isn't much.
I highly recommend the Metro Master Blaster if you are looking for the best, most powerful air dryer. It is second to none... this thing moves a TON of air. I love mine. PM me on how to order one

Regarding quick detailer... in any scenario, whether using as a drying aid or simply to remove very light dirt/ dust from the car, you wont have to "work it in" like a wax or anything. Most quick detailers or spray waxes (I say most because some products may be different... I havent used them all afterall ) are spray on, wipe off, and it should typically only take one or two passes to wipe away the product. I recommend reading the instructions on any product prior to use.

-Zach
Old 10-24-14, 11:38 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Zach, I have just ordered the Metro Blaster (the 4HP version) because of your recommendation. I had leaf blower before and it sucked. I am going to give Metro Blaster a try.
Old 10-24-14, 06:53 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Thanks Zach, I have just ordered the Metro Blaster (the 4HP version) because of your recommendation. I had leaf blower before and it sucked. I am going to give Metro Blaster a try.
Good to hear.

Please feel free to PM me in the future before you order any detailing supplies... I'd be happy to help you out.