Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Clear bra then sealant or vice versa?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-14, 04:22 PM
crazych42
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Clear bra then sealant or vice versa?

OK my new UW IS350 F-Sport is on the ship and arriving in a few weeks and I plan to get a new car prep done and clear bra (Xpel ultimate). I've been looking at OC Pro but have been given an excellent quote for 22ple which actually may work better for my taste. Anyway, I've heard various recommendations about what to do first, clear bra or coating. I've heard do the new car prep and coating/sealant and then apply clear bra. I've heard do the clear bra and apply coating over clear bra. Finally, I've heard clean/prep/polish the paint, apply clear bra, then coating.

What do the professional detailers on here recommend consider the clear bra and 22ple path I plan to take?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-28-14, 04:49 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

When possible, the paint should be polished to remove all surface defects, then the clear bra should be applied to bare paint. A sealant, wax, or paint coating can then be applied on top of the clear bra for added protection.

You don't want to have anything between the clear bra and the paint that might cause issues with the clear bra's adhesion. There are many people that have had the clear bra applied on top of a coating, however, and I have only heard of a couple of issues so the risk is minimal..... but like I said, if possible, have the car prepped, then clear bra, then coating.
Old 02-28-14, 06:16 PM
dagwag77
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have OC Pro, then Xpel Ultimate, and then OC on top of the Xpel. So far, no issues and liking the set up

Edit to add, only decided to add the Xpel after opti-coating the car due to picking up a bunch of rock chips from our pretty bad winter.

Last edited by dagwag77; 03-02-14 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-28-14, 07:25 PM
crazych42
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
When possible, the paint should be polished to remove all surface defects, then the clear bra should be applied to bare paint. A sealant, wax, or paint coating can then be applied on top of the clear bra for added protection.

You don't want to have anything between the clear bra and the paint that might cause issues with the clear bra's adhesion. There are many people that have had the clear bra applied on top of a coating, however, and I have only heard of a couple of issues so the risk is minimal..... but like I said, if possible, have the car prepped, then clear bra, then coating.
Thanks man, I was hoping you would respond. You just validated the process the detailer said he would do and confirmed my decision. Thanks!
Old 03-02-14, 01:05 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed with Zach on this one. Most detailers or PPF installers who recommend a coating beneath the PPF/clearbra make the case that in case of removal, the film will come off easier. However, someone putting the film on in the first place rarely if ever plans on removing it (unless it's for a necessary repair or to fix an aging film), so I see no point in that. Also, unless the film is extremely old (old type of film, thicker with strong adhesive, which you shouldn't find around these days) or been on a car for a VERY long time, there should be no issues removing it.

In short, wash, decontaminate, polish and clean paint of oils, etc. before the film. Then, install the film and you're good to go.

Ivan @ DI
Old 03-02-14, 05:26 PM
crazych42
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Greg@DI
Agreed with Zach on this one. Most detailers or PPF installers who recommend a coating beneath the PPF/clearbra make the case that in case of removal, the film will come off easier. However, someone putting the film on in the first place rarely if ever plans on removing it (unless it's for a necessary repair or to fix an aging film), so I see no point in that. Also, unless the film is extremely old (old type of film, thicker with strong adhesive, which you shouldn't find around these days) or been on a car for a VERY long time, there should be no issues removing it.

In short, wash, decontaminate, polish and clean paint of oils, etc. before the film. Then, install the film and you're good to go.

Ivan @ DI
Thanks for the info!