Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Car wash that won't strip wax?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-13, 09:49 AM
xMJx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wash that won't strip wax?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone is using a car wash that won't strip the wax (carnuba-based and synthetic) off the cars? I've been using the meguiars gold class wash shampoo&conditioner and there is a noticeable difference in the beading and slickness before and after a wash.

...or is it wish-full thinking that a car wash won't strip wax off the paint?
Old 11-24-13, 10:47 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I would recommend:

Optimum Car Wash (Click Here)

Originally Posted by detailedimage.com
Product Information
- An outstanding shampoo that has great lubricity, plenty of suds, and gentle cleaners
- Works great as a maintenance shampoo to maximize the life of your sealant or wax

Product Description
Optimum Car Wash is a paint safe automotive shampoo that gives you a generous lather of suds with every wash. It will not strip off any wax or sealant but it will remove the dust, dirt, brake dust, bug smear and more from your paint. The sudsy lather breaks down road grime and helps you safely remove contaminants from your vehicle's exterior. This ultra concentrated shampoo is an extremely good value as well. One ounce is more than enough to create a generous later for an entire wash. Fill a bucket halfway with just water then add just one ounce of the Optimum Car Wash and add more water and you instantly notice the thick and rich suds piling up. While washing you'll also notice that the suds make the surface very slick which makes removing the contaminants much safer as well. It also smells great which makes it even more fun to use. Try the pH balanced and highly effective Optimum Car Wash today and you'll absolutely love the results!
Old 11-25-13, 09:30 AM
xMJx
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again zmcgovern4. As always, your advise is spot on.
Old 11-25-13, 10:42 AM
MXT4life
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm ive been using gold class as well but my beading seems still the same as when I first applied sealant and wax. Maybe I should switch, lmk your results with the new wash.
Old 11-25-13, 01:23 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by xMJx
Thanks again zmcgovern4. As always, your advise is spot on.
^You're very welcome

Originally Posted by MXT4life
Hmm ive been using gold class as well but my beading seems still the same as when I first applied sealant and wax. Maybe I should switch, lmk your results with the new wash.
^It is possible the OP could have been mixing the soap too strong.

Most products will list the exact dilution ratio to follow for best results. It is important to read the directions even on something as simple as a car wash soap. Most of these products are so heavily concentrated that they have the potential to degrade your protective layer (wax or sealant) if mixed significantly stronger than recommended.

There are also many other factors that could hinder beading.
Old 11-27-13, 05:58 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

High surface tension is what results in water beading. Many factors can lead to the lowering of surface tension. Beading is not a reliable indicator of the presence of a wax or sealant.

Some causes of low surface tension are:
1. Hardness of the water supply
2. Improper dilution of the car wash detergent
3. Abrasiveness of the washing materials
4. Method of drying the vehicle (air blower, low pressure water sheeting, microfiber drying towels, cotton towels)
5. Amount of friction or rubbing of the surface
6. Condition of the original wax or sealant

One thing is certain, every time you wash the car, some of the wax or sealant is removed and surface tension is reduced. Some car wash soaps contain polymers and or carnaubas to promote increased surface tension. They are often called Wash and Wax products. I personally don't care for these wash and wax products but many do.

IMO, if you want to maintain the highest surface tension, wash after wash, I'd suggest using a gloss enhancer after the wash. I personally use Meguiar's D156 (a.k.a. Ultimate Quik Wax) after each wash. This replenishes the original wax or sealant and restores high surface tension resulting in profuse beading, making the paint very slick and greatly reduces the ability of dirt and road film to bond to the paint hence easier subsequent washing. These gloss enhancer products are wipe-on/wipe off so they add maybe 10 minutes to the wash time but leave the paint looking and feeling as it was just freshly waxed or sealed.
Old 11-27-13, 07:17 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

what Z posted... been using the OCW or ONR or ONRWW with OID after every wash now... amazing products by optimum. used Reload for a while, but after i clayed the car i started to use the OID and i must say i see better results. will be hitting her soon with OOS after a wash and see how that works out.
Old 11-27-13, 08:11 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do the same as Jim. Wash with a soap(Meg's gold) and then finish with a gloss enhancer(Meg's quik wax and Optimum no rinse.)
Old 12-06-13, 07:45 AM
xMJx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jfelbab
High surface tension is what results in water beading. Many factors can lead to the lowering of surface tension. Beading is not a reliable indicator of the presence of a wax or sealant.

Some causes of low surface tension are:
1. Hardness of the water supply
2. Improper dilution of the car wash detergent
3. Abrasiveness of the washing materials
4. Method of drying the vehicle (air blower, low pressure water sheeting, microfiber drying towels, cotton towels)
5. Amount of friction or rubbing of the surface
6. Condition of the original wax or sealant

One thing is certain, every time you wash the car, some of the wax or sealant is removed and surface tension is reduced. Some car wash soaps contain polymers and or carnaubas to promote increased surface tension. They are often called Wash and Wax products. I personally don't care for these wash and wax products but many do.

IMO, if you want to maintain the highest surface tension, wash after wash, I'd suggest using a gloss enhancer after the wash. I personally use Meguiar's D156 (a.k.a. Ultimate Quik Wax) after each wash. This replenishes the original wax or sealant and restores high surface tension resulting in profuse beading, making the paint very slick and greatly reduces the ability of dirt and road film to bond to the paint hence easier subsequent washing. These gloss enhancer products are wipe-on/wipe off so they add maybe 10 minutes to the wash time but leave the paint looking and feeling as it was just freshly waxed or sealed.
Hmm, I think I may be using too much of the detergent per bucket. I don't measure it out- just pour out directly into the bucket. I'll have to be more careful next time.

Also, the Ultimate Quik Wax- there's no need to wait for it to dry? I find that a little weird that you spray product onto the car and wipe off right away- it seems like your removing what you just applied.
Old 12-06-13, 07:56 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by xMJx
Hmm, I think I may be using too much of the detergent per bucket. I don't measure it out- just pour out directly into the bucket. I'll have to be more careful next time.

Also, the Ultimate Quik Wax- there's no need to wait for it to dry? I find that a little weird that you spray product onto the car and wipe off right away- it seems like your removing what you just applied.
Most spray waxes are WOWO (wipe on, wipe off) products. In fact, many paste waxes are this way as well. It seems like you are more accustomed to the waxes that you apply, allow to dry to a haze, and then remove. It all depends on what the instructions are for each particular product.

The fact of the matter is, that with either method, only a very thin layer of product is going to remain on the surface. Be sure to read your directions for each product, as it will make the product MUCH easier to work with.

If you have a WOWO wax, but you let it dry, chances are it is a real pain to remove... if you were to follow instructions and remove right away, it is simple.

Chemical Guys Pete's 53 Signature Paste Wax is a good example of this. You must apply to a small section, very thinly, and then wipe away before the product dries - when done in this manner the product is a pleasure to work with. If you allow it to dry, it is a big PITA.