Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Griot's Garage Puts the Heavy-Duty in Metal Polishing!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-11, 05:49 AM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Griot's Garage Puts the Heavy-Duty in Metal Polishing!

It's a pretty bold statement when you claim your product to be heavy-duty. For example, you will find a HD (heavy-duty) badge on both front doors of a new Chevrolet Silverado 3500. How does Chevrolet justify the HD badge? The Silverado 3500HD packs quite a punch with a pavement wrinkling 765 ft lbs of torque with the optional Duramax Diesel. Now that's what I call heavy-duty. Heavy-duty isn't a term that most people use lightly, and unless your product is packing a punch that few can match, it's best to leave the heavy duty name to trucks and large farm equipment. While most manufacturers share this humble view, one in particular stands out from the rest of the crowd and boldly labels some of their products as heavy-duty.

Griot's Garage is always introducing new products that allow you to have fun in your garage while making your vehicle look its absolute best. While most manufacturers claim their product is the best, very few will go as far as to call them heavy-duty. It's a bold statement that leaves people with high expectations. I don't doubt Griot's Garage one bit when they claim a product to be heavy-duty, because their recently introduced Heavy-Duty Wheel Cleaner doesn't disappoint and has become a favorite among professional detailers for its low cost and excellent cleaning ability on all wheel finishes. It didn't take long for another product to receive the respected heavy-duty moniker, and this time it was a metal polish.

Griot's Garage Heavy-Duty Metal Polish will bring back a brilliant shine to neglected aluminum and magnesium finishes. It also works exceptionally well on un-coated aluminum, steel, stainless steel, plexiglass, and acrylic surfaces. It features a unique, silicone free formula that's water based making clean up quick and easy. Use by hand or machine to achieve a brilliant, mirror-like shine on various types of un-coated metals.

Have you ever gone to a car show only to witness vehicles with flawless paint jobs but dull, oxidized wheels and exhaust tips? I often think; "What's the point?". If you're going to have a show car, it should be all or nothing. If it's lacking the details, then it's not even a show car. If you're in the dark on the subject of metal polishing and don't know where to start, Griot's Garage has just the solution that you're looking for with their new Heavy-Duty Metal Polish. It's easy to use and it performs at a price that won't scare anyone away.

Take a look below at what an expensive aftermarket exhaust will look like after months of neglect.

Proper prep is necessary to ensure a brilliant, mirror-like shine on any metal surface. In this case a safe, but effective degreaser is just the ticket to clean all the road grime off the exhaust. Griot's Garage Engine Cleaner works very well and it contains no harsh chemicals that are harmful to you or the environment. When used in conjunction with their 3" Mini Pad Holder and 3" Yellow Scrubbing Pad, road grime, grease and dirt doesn't stand a chance.

Max just had a new floor installed in the Show Car Garage and the last thing I wanted to do was get dirty. My goal walking in to this project was to stay as clean as possible, and to keep Max's new floor as clean as possible. After spraying the muffler with the Griot's Garage Engine Cleaner, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it clung to the surface. After letting it sit for about a minute, the grease and grime was easily wiped right off. Very little effort was needed from the yellow scrubbing pad.

With the 3" Mini Pad Holder, there are very few spots that cannot be reached. I discovered these recently and I even use them around the house to clean my stove and work bench. No bulky brush needed, just two fingers is all it takes for effective cleaning!

Go big or go home, that's my take on metal polishing. To make polishing the exhaust a breeze, I grabbed a Griot's Garage 3" Polisher along with a Lake Country 3.5" Foamed Wool Buffing Pad and went to work.

It didn't take long for the Heavy-Duty Metal Polish to cut through the oxidation to leave a brilliant, mirror-like finish.

To polish the exhaust tips, I used a Wolfgang Finger Pocket along with a little bit of elbow grease. These work great for getting into tight spaces and with your fingers completely covered by the dense foam, they also make staying clean easier.

I pulled the car out into the sun after I finished polishing the tips and cleaning up the Show Car Garage.

Once again another product by Griot's Garage that allows you to have fun in your garage. Does the new Griot's Garage Heavy-Duty Metal Polish work well enough to justify the heavy-duty name? After polishing this exhaust and seeing how well it performed in such a short period of time, I would have to say absolutely. If you're looking for a great all around metal polish that's easy to use, cost effective, and performs very well, Griot's Garage Heavy-Duty Metal Polish is certainly worth looking in to.

Griot's Garage Heavy-Duty Metal Polish.

Old 09-08-11, 07:24 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Great write up. I just got a Greddy SE exhaust with the blue tips. Is this stuff ok to use on the blue tips?
Old 09-08-11, 10:10 AM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
Great write up. I just got a Greddy SE exhaust with the blue tips. Is this stuff ok to use on the blue tips?
I would check with the manufacturer of the exhaust.