Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Clay and light compound on clear bra ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-10, 08:09 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clay and light compound on clear bra ??

After 2 months with my new clear film on the car, the hood is now stained with a residu (like sap) that is embedded in the film, do your guys know if the film can be clayed and compound, it is Ventureshield ?

thanks
Old 04-29-10, 08:37 PM
GlisTech
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can definitely clay it, but you shouldn't need to compound it at all.

When claying the clear bra, make sure to use a lot of lubricant, although the clear bra is very durable to things like rock strikes, it is soft enough that you can scuff and mar the finish if you aren't careful when claying it.

As for polishing it, you can actually use a light hand polish with something like the Einszett Paint Polish, or even a light polish like Menzerna Super Finish or Power Finish.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...00mL%2C/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...-Finish/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...32oz%2C/Detail

Just apply any of the polishes using a Microfiber Pad with moderate pressure and it should be able to lessen any hazing or marring that you have on your clear bra.
Old 04-29-10, 09:03 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by GlisTech
You can definitely clay it, but you shouldn't need to compound it at all.

When claying the clear bra, make sure to use a lot of lubricant, although the clear bra is very durable to things like rock strikes, it is soft enough that you can scuff and mar the finish if you aren't careful when claying it.

As for polishing it, you can actually use a light hand polish with something like the Einszett Paint Polish, or even a light polish like Menzerna Super Finish or Power Finish.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...00mL%2C/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...-Finish/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...32oz%2C/Detail

Just apply any of the polishes using a Microfiber Pad with moderate pressure and it should be able to lessen any hazing or marring that you have on your clear bra.

Good to know..
Old 04-30-10, 06:22 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a FINE Grade clay we'd recommend on clear film:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...cant%2C/Detail
Old 05-02-10, 05:17 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

I'm starting to regret the Ventureshield clear bra, it is very clear that is nice, but it can scratch very easily and it doesn't have a clear coat to repair all the minor blemishes. I will start claying the car in 2 weeks since it has some ruffness on it, but i'm afraid for the clear bra since it makes like 50% on my car.

I have the Meguiar clay bar kit, it that ok for the clear ? Of course, i will go lighty and use alot of lube.

thank you.

PS: i've heard that applying some heat on the clear can correct some small marks, is that true ?

Last edited by Blueshark; 05-02-10 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-02-10, 06:12 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The clay with the least aggressiveness is Sonus. Might want to look into that since even the white Megs clay is more aggressive
Old 05-03-10, 03:13 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Ventureshield is three layers with a clear top layer. Mine is going on 4 years old, not garage keep and this year will be the first time it will be clayed only because I'm doing the rest of the car. Totally satisfied!

Koz
Old 05-06-10, 03:53 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

What about using Plexol or Starbrite on the clear bra? I read about some people using it in here. I plan on waxing in the next few weeks when the pollen finally breaks and then claying in the fall before winter sets in. Surface overall is still pretty smooth.
Old 05-06-10, 06:50 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koz
Ventureshield is three layers with a clear top layer. Mine is going on 4 years old, not garage keep and this year will be the first time it will be clayed only because I'm doing the rest of the car. Totally satisfied!

Koz
So you did clay the clear film with good results ? any tips to a good job. My car is also in a need for a clay. Did you polish the whole car after to remove all the small scruff marks from the clay ?
Old 05-07-10, 04:17 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueshark
So you did clay the clear film with good results ? any tips to a good job. My car is also in a need for a clay. Did you polish the whole car after to remove all the small scruff marks from the clay ?
I will be on vacation the last week of this month. I plan on detailing (Clay, machine polish and seal/wax) my vehicles. Sometime next week I will contact the pro-installer about what is the safe way/procedure. I have already read on detailing sites that claying a bra is OK, but I want make sure.

Koz
Old 05-17-10, 08:20 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Keep us informed...
Old 05-24-10, 05:30 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

I've tried claying with the Meguiar clay kit and i look not harmful to the bra. Bugs stains are not getting off though, it looks embedded, what do your guys suggest ?