Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Spray on wax vs traditional wax

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-09, 01:52 AM
yOyOYoo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spray on wax vs traditional wax

How does spray on wax compare to the traditional "wax on, buff off" type of waxes?

I would imagine the spray on wax to be not as effective. It just seems tooo easy!

I am currently using Optimum Car Wax, anyone else? How does it compare to Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax?
Old 09-05-09, 02:03 AM
Lexscme
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I alway use Meguiar's quick detailer easy and doesnt leave wax residue in between the door jams.

I use this^^ why? because it doesnt leave swirels or over spray on the body or on the glass.
Old 09-05-09, 02:18 AM
bjsdjs300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like optimum car wax i use it a day or two after opti-seal. iv used meguiars and its alright, it smells really good. opti-seal works just as good or even better then alot of other high end waxes or sealants. it last forever if you never touch it with anything. the applying process of opti-seal is easier then it is applying optimum car wax.
Old 09-05-09, 08:19 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I regularly use Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax (UQW). I don't use this as a replacement for a wax or sealant but as a weekly maintenance product. I apply NXT Tech Wax or M21 quarterly and use the UQW weekly after each wash. There is no wax buildup with this product and it doesn't dry white or leave dust. It is effective for use on glass, rubber and plastic as well as your paint as it doesn't leave a residue or stain. It works on textured plastic and leaves it with a nice dark sheen. It works as well as RainX on the glass. It is a wipe-on/wipe-off (WOWO) product, so it takes all of 10 minutes to renew the wax on my SUV. The use of UQW keeps my car in it's just waxed state indefinitely. Very shiny and slick. Dirt doesn't find a grip, so washing is a breeze.

That said, I would not rely on UQW as my only wax. Also, it is not safe to use UQW in place of a Quick Detailer to remove light dust as it doesn't have the lubricity. It should only be used on a clean car.

Last edited by jfelbab; 09-05-09 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-05-09, 11:08 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In short carnauba wax is hard as a brick so other ingredients are added to make it usable. Liquid waxes have to have far more ingredients added to it to make it in to a liquid. Therefore you generally get the most protection and shine from a paste wax (aka hard wax). I haven't used the Megs product you referenced so I can't compare them. The Optimum Car Wax is one of the better liquid waxes out there in my experience. Let me know if you'd like a more detailed explanation or other product recommendations.

Greg @ DI