Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Buffer Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-09, 11:50 AM
Kevin.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buffer Suggestion

So I'm planning to buy my own car buffer to detail my car at home. Was wondering any suggestion for buffer? Thanks
Old 09-04-09, 11:53 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Many people like the Porter Cable but I prefer just about anything from Makita. Make sure it both oscillates and rotates, because if you only get a rotating one you'll burn the crap out of your paint.
Old 09-04-09, 03:50 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kevin.IS
So I'm planning to buy my own car buffer to detail my car at home. Was wondering any suggestion for buffer? Thanks
The Porter Cable 7424xp is the most popular dual action polisher/buffer available. It has enough power to remove swirls and scratches, yet, due to its design, is very safe to use, even if you do not have any previous experience with a polisher. The link above brings you to the page w/ the machine and a few pre-packaged kits. We're having a labor day sale at the moment, so if you're interested in one of the kits there, or if you'd like a custom kit, just let me know and I'll get you pricing
Old 09-04-09, 06:39 PM
tritron
Lead Lap

So cheap harbor freight polishel will burn up paint ? Number of people like that polisher it only sells for 29.99. So more expensive polisher will both oscillate and rotate.
Old 09-04-09, 07:08 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^Not necessarily, that HF one is crap compared to my Makita. I bought it for back up in case my Makita ever broke. You get what you pay for, don't forget that

To the OP, a Porter Cable 7424/xp will work just as well as a rotary. However, you'll spend more time thats all
Old 09-04-09, 09:13 PM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

meguiars g220 or 110 for americans

recommend makita.

The only thing you have to replace is the brushes every year.
But that's only if you are a detailer using it 5hrs+ every day like me.

You get what you pay for.
Old 09-04-09, 09:46 PM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

You can buy my Porter Cable 7424
Old 09-05-09, 11:14 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Here are three of our best selling buffers and my quick thoughts on each one.

Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbital Buffer - It is the most affordable option, but it requires a separate backing plate. It is very easy to use with no risk of burning the paint and it offers very good cutting power.

Flex XC 3401 VRG - The best buffer for weekend detailers who don't want to practice with a rotary. It has about 40% more power than the PC 7424 XP and can definitely help you remove more imperfections from the paint. Most weekend detailers abo****ely love this tool.

Makita 9227C-X3 Rotary Buffer - This is my favorite rotary buffer because it has all the features you want. This buffer has a very low starting speed so it's one of the easiest rotary buffers to begin learning with. It comes with a backing plate but I recommend still getting one of the Lake Country Backing Plates that are semi-flexible. Like any rotary you will need to practice to be good with it but it does offer the most correction of all these choices. You can restore a clear coat to a near flawless shine when you are skilled with it.

If you have any other questions please let me know. I'd be happy to help you select some pads and polishes to go with your buffer of choice to meet your needs.

Greg @ DI